3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transplant Ideas(B-series into 74 ford)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transplant Ideas(B-series into 74 ford)

Hey guys, I am newb to this site and am wanting to start a new project.

I currently have a 74 Ford pick-up that was given to me by my Dad. He owns a diesel repair shop and when I was little he tore this pick-up down and installed a 355 Perkins Turbo diesel, a 5 speed trans with deep under, and a 3 speed "Brownie" or aux trans also with a deep under gear. I think both of the trans also have a Overdrive but I'm not sure. I think he has another aux trans that I can get my hands on.

This was my ride through high school until it lost a rod bearing. The engine is so stuffed in there that it has to be half dissassmbled before it can be pulled. Also the Perkins parts are expensive and hard to find. Not to mention this was a N/A motor fitted with a "Clean-Air" turbo kit, and the pumped turned up. Approximate power was 145hp I think. Not fast but fun.

So after talking to Pops he thinks a B-series swap would be the ticket. I would need a #1 bellhousing and my existing trans combo would bolt right up.

What else would I need, I would like to get the 5.9l H.O. as he has one in his new R/T Diesel Pick-up. But would I bet better with a 12valve due to the lack of extra crap to get to work?? What year or engine codes to look for. I think I would be better getting a used engine and harness/PCM from a wreck. But I just don't know what to look for. Or what this would go for??

Thanks for your time
Troy
Old 12-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how far they go back in years, but fordcummins.com (I think thats the site) sells conversion kits. It sure be alot easier to put a 12V in there than the new stuff. Complete donor car would be the best IMO, you'd alleviate alot of trips to the parts store for lil pieces of the puzzle. If you get it done that is going to be a sweet truck!