3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid question

I have a 5.9L with 48RE Tranny. I went to a local "quick lube" type of place this morning to get a quick oil change because I'm low on time (mistake #1). While there they said Tranny fluid needs changed, which I know to be true so I had them go ahead and do it (mistake #2). After it had been changed I had the bright idea to ask and make sure they put ATF+4 in, which is what the tranny calls for. They said, no, they don't carry that. Instead they put in Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. Of course I was not pleased with this but was told it is fine, they put it in all the diesel trucks, and it exceeds ATF+4. They showed me a typed document from Castrol saying so. I cannot find anything to indicate this fluid meets the requirements of the ATF+4. Any thoughts here? Should I be worried????
Old 08-06-2010, 01:11 PM

cant help you much other that saying that the +4 is a full synthetic.......
Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by checkster
cant help you much other that saying that the +4 is a full synthetic.......
actually most atf+4 fluid is not a synthetic fluid
Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224

Doesn't meet ATF+4 by the link above. I'd get rid of it and put in the right fluid, extra or double flushed.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 AM

Don't believe a word they tell you, the stuff they put in will ruin your tranny. Make them pay for a fluid change at a Dodge dealer and a complete tranny inspection. One of the places here in Oregon(0xx &4# 89$2*1)(edited by ME) tells all of the people that what they use "Castrol" meets the specs but Dodge says different and you will regret it
Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get that out of there ASAP and put in ATF +4. I just buy it from the dealer (ask for a discount they will often give one) and change it myself.

Just as important, is you need to change out the transmission filter. I bet they hooked your trans up to one of those "flush" machines which can cause failures also by stirring up debris in the trans. You need to change that filter ASAP and the only way to do it is to drop the pan. They try to take shortcuts by hooking them to a "flush" machine which forces the fluid thru the trans.

Mopar ATF +4 or any equivilent fluid is synthetic. I wouldn't trust those clowns you had to do it any further than you can throw them.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Okay so here's the update. The company should be commended I guess for doing what is right. I complained about the issue and the owner called me. He said the fluid they put in does exceed the standards of ATF+4 and he has documentation from Castrol to prove it. I told him I don't believe it because it would say that in their specs, or they even would quit making ATF+4, why make it anymore if it's obsolete? Regardless he said he wanted happy customers so he said I could come down and they would replace it with ATF+4 and I could watch it happen. I did just that and they replaced it all.

Yes, I know about the filter needing replaced, in fact I'm headed out to do that right now. I did it last time too, just didn't have time to do it this time, until now.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM

FYI, ATF+4 not synthetic its made from group III crude oil base stock.

From ALL PAR web site about ATF+4: The use of Group III base oils is probably the leading cause for ATF+4 being a more expensive fluid than ATF+3 (which according to the paper uses a Group II base oil). The paper noted that one alternative was to use synthetic Group IV base stock, which are even more expensive than the ATF+4 solution, which provided Group IV style performance from Group III stock.

Oil Groups:

Group I base oils can have a mix of different hydrocarbon chains, with relatively little uniformity; these oils are the least refined. They are usually not used for autos.

Group II are the most common base oils in “dino juice,” with good performance in most areas except cold temperature viscosity.

Group III are called synthetic, and have high molecular uniformity and stability. Group III oil bases are used in most synthetic oils.

Group IV are chemically engineered stocks, arguably with the highest performance and longevity.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Banned

Good thing you got that crap out of there. That IS NOT the right tranny fluid. As for what ATF+4 fluids are approved by Chrysler, click this link. http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil only in the United States. Most of the rest of the world does not allow a Group III to be marketed as synthetic. On that note, ATF+4 is a Group III synthetic. It's base comes from dino. Hydrocracking the oil changes the molecular structure giving it the similarities of a synthetic. Up to 25% of the product can be the additive package. Argue it all you want, but it is better than your regular oils in all properties.

Amsoil is a Group IV (PAO base) but also uses Group V (Esther base) technology. It gives you the best of Group IV and Group V synthetics.

Royal Purple is supposedly a group IV or Group V or a combination of both. Info seems to scatter every which way like cockroaches at night when a light is turned on.

Redline is a Group V oil and performs very well in the shorter term. Group V oils perform very well in race engines and in applications where drain intervals are factory spec or shorter. Group IV oils are far better suited for the long haul of extended intervals.

Synthetics you get off the shelf at the local Auto Parts store or Walmart is going to be a group III. Yes, this even goes for Mobil 1 which is in fact group III oil, when marketed in the US. All of the big name companies that supply to the Auto Parts stores and Walmart can call these oils fully synthetic even though they are just highly refined/hydrocracked dino oil, because of the trade ruling of Castrol vs. Mobil 1 some years ago.