3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans temp of 250 degrees?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pullin up hills between 50 an 60 likely means you had the converter unlocked and that's why it got so hot.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by C Minus
Hit it this weekend towing my 6,500 lb 5th wheel for a short period. Couldnt pull over... once over the pass is dropped immediately. Seems high to me. Should I be concerned? Trans doesnt do antyhing weird shifts firmly doesnt slip. Truck is stock except for BFG's. 40k miles

Anyone out there tell me something similar for them? Is this normal or excessive for a Dodge?

Do I or can I do anything about this?

Do these trucks have a Trans fan?
Thanks
Where is your temp sender?

You may want to consider a aux cooler... .and sometimes it's not just weight but wind resistance, also the 35's aren't helping....
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ah64id
Where is your temp sender?

You may want to consider a aux cooler... .and sometimes it's not just weight but wind resistance, also the 35's aren't helping....
in line.

I agree but my 5ver is small at 26ft and is not the extra height up front type, like a lot of guys drag around.

I agree the 35's aren't helping. I will jack the trailer up tonight to see if I have a dragging brake.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by BMH95
Pullin up hills between 50 an 60 likely means you had the converter unlocked and that's why it got so hot.
Wouldnt you think the truck would recognize the heat and lock the TC?

Isnt that what owning an auto is all about?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
in line.

I agree but my 5ver is small at 26ft and is not the extra height up front type, like a lot of guys drag around.

I agree the 35's aren't helping. I will jack the trailer up tonight to see if I have a dragging brake.
Well your sender is in the correct spot.... And to be honest I have seen very few rigs, if any, that come with what I would consider adequate transmission cooling. So an aux cooler may be on the horizon...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned

Wouldnt you think the truck would recognize the heat and lock the TC?

Isnt that what owning an auto is all about?
No, it definitely won't do that automatically. You still need to manually control the auto in certain situations. I'm not familiar with the Tow/Haul function on an '04.5, but it works pretty well on the '06. There's still times when you're better off pulling it down manually though.

IMO you shouldn't tow any real distance with the TC unlocked. That may mean installing a lock-up switch or a fancy controller like the ATS Co-Pilot.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned

Well your sender is in the correct spot.... And to be honest I have seen very few rigs, if any, that come with what I would consider adequate transmission cooling. So an aux cooler may be on the horizon...
Mine couldn't run any cooler that it already does. Towing 8-14k lbs at highway speeds with 500-600hp I only see 145-165* (that's in the hot line). Empty it runs 135-145*.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely sounds like you may need a converter/VB. With the big tires and any kind of towing and decent power you are likely slipping the TC and heating it up. A good TC/VB from Goerend or the like will dramatically drop the temps and probably increase your mileage as well. Doing these sooner rather than later will help the guts of the tranny last a lot longer also.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM

I have extended powertrain warranty on the truck. Think if I brought it in they would be able to diagnose a slipping TC and possibly replace?

Wouldnt I notice a slipping TC while driving especially w/ weight behind it?

Done lots of things but toasting a TC is not on that list.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory cooling on all the Doge trucks has been good since the 2nd series. Take a look at the cooler sometime and you will see.

Aux coolers are NOT reccomended on any of these transmissions unless you use a seperate pump to do it. The cooler return line is trans lube and changing its characteristics is not a good idea.

Question for original poster; how fast were you going and was the TC locking? You should be able to easily tell the difference between lockup and no lockup by the rpm drop.

Tow/Haul prior to 05 was an OD lockout. Did you use that or leave it OD?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Factory cooling on all the Doge trucks has been good since the 2nd series. Take a look at the cooler sometime and you will see.

Aux coolers are NOT reccomended on any of these transmissions unless you use a seperate pump to do it. The cooler return line is trans lube and changing its characteristics is not a good idea.

Question for original poster; how fast were you going and was the TC locking? You should be able to easily tell the difference between lockup and no lockup by the rpm drop.

Tow/Haul prior to 05 was an OD lockout. Did you use that or leave it OD?
Tow haul was activated. Approx 40-45mph snow was really starting to come down and my speed was dictated by the folks in front of me. Like I have said I had no options to pull over otherwise I would have. Hate to see what would have happened if it werent 32-34 degrees!

Will a Dodge shop be able to address my concerns about this or will they just roll their eyes? Like I said I have extended powertrain.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:26 PM

Is the tow/haul on the 04.5's an OD lockout? If it isn't, that would explain the problem.

Nick
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM

mine will lock up in 2nd if I manually put it in 2nd.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM

TC should be locked at 40+mph with the tow/haul feature on. Are you sure the TC was locked? Could be the issue. I never see over 200* towing my 8klb travel trailer in the summer, even on steep hills.

I have a Double Deep Aluminum pan. (Aluminum conducts heat 3 times better then steel, so yes, it does aid in cooling) and 315/75/17 tires with 3.73 gears.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tow haul was activated. Approx 40-45mph snow was really starting to come down and my speed was dictated by the folks in front of me. Like I have said I had no options to pull over otherwise I would have. Hate to see what would have happened if it werent 32-34 degrees!

Will a Dodge shop be able to address my concerns about this or will they just roll their eyes? Like I said I have extended powertrain.
I would say its a good chance your TC was either slipping or not engaged. The TC clutch should have engaged, but, you could have a problem where it isn't working correctly. At those outside temps it should never have gotten over 180 or so locked up.

I would take it to dealer and tell them the TC clutch isn't working right and see if thery can find an issue.

Quick Reply: Trans temp of 250 degrees?