3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trac Rite LK

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wifes Envoy has better traction.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by doug60
Back up my driveway,
The smallest patch of ice on one wheel will stop me dead . The drive way is not steep by any means. It drops about a foot in 90 feet.
Seriously try backing up a snowmobile trailer. Its embarrassing. The Ford Power stroke posi will walk all over the GT.

Maybe there is something WRONG with it that needs FIXED???

From the looks of your sig, you are in love with lockers. In that case you will never be happy with an LS, no matter how good it is. Trade it for a PowerJoke if their posi's are so good.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Maybe there is something WRONG with it that needs FIXED???

From the looks of your sig, you are in love with lockers. In that case you will never be happy with an LS, no matter how good it is. Trade it for a PowerJoke if their posi's are so good.
It will leave two black marks on pavement, But no go backing up my driveway when slick.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Limited Slip

I'm not 100% sure the torsin type limited slip does work in reverse...... I know certain applications there designed for forward only (not sure why) but that's what I get a lot outa some of the new ATVS. They have lockers in the front that engauge at a certain wheel slip, or this or that. But they don't work in reverse. Seems the engineer forgot people back them up. If you try going up your driveway with one side ice, one side dry will it do it better than in reverse?

I'm in the same boat, if they come out with a air locker, I'm sold. For now this one is good enough, leaves 2 marks either in reverse or forward. you may have somethign wrong with yours?

There was a post, somebody had worn holes under there "torsin" screws in side (whatever there called) and it actually made it looser than it should have been = didn't work right.

TS
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
I'm not 100% sure the torsin type limited slip does work in reverse...... I know certain applications there designed for forward only (not sure why) but that's what I get a lot outa some of the new ATVS. They have lockers in the front that engauge at a certain wheel slip, or this or that. But they don't work in reverse. Seems the engineer forgot people back them up. If you try going up your driveway with one side ice, one side dry will it do it better than in reverse?

I'm in the same boat, if they come out with a air locker, I'm sold. For now this one is good enough, leaves 2 marks either in reverse or forward. you may have somethign wrong with yours?

There was a post, somebody had worn holes under there "torsin" screws in side (whatever there called) and it actually made it looser than it should have been = didn't work right.
TS
I have refrained form getting in this discussion for quite a while now. But I gotta say my rear wheels lock up in reverese in 2wd in the auto. Just experienced it this weekend. In fact I have been doing alot of so called 'extra watching' on my rear wheels for the past several months since we have been arguing about it. Both my wheels locked in and pulled at any throttle as I was sitting them into a fresh cut ditch line on my dads farm. Both were slinging mud, I didnt apply the brake, I eased in the first time and I hammered in the second, both times -both tires were spinning at the same time. Then I realized as I was spinning-hey I have 4wd in this thing-why dont I use it
Old 09-26-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
No, No, No

The TracRite apologist will come along and tell you that:

"I drive across the swamps of Louisana and never get stuck"

" It's your tires that prevent both tires from spinning"

"you don't know how to drive"

"Read your owners manual, you're suppose to drive with the parking brake on!"

"Never stop, that differential works great as long as you don't have to stop and turn around"

I cant resist.... I think your a poser. No apologies
Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poser, ?, how so?

It's none of your business but I got nothing to hide. Let's see, I was born in Detroit. I've worked in the automotive field my whole life.

Started out as a technician. I've worked at independants, fleets, and dealers (Ford, GM, and Dodge) during that 20 years. I worked in management part of that time.

I was hired by one of the manufactures to do dealer training. (Import) I did that for a little while.

And now as I'm approaching retirement I run a successful college automotive training program. I do know a little bit about cars.

I've hold and held ASE Master certification for 25 years (also ASE Master Machinist). I've held Chevrolet and Nissan Master certification.

Before my Dad died of lung cancer this past summer he had a cattle ranch 100 miles north of here that I would help him work. I've owned several 4WD trucks.

I first got the '03 Dodge stuck doing some scouting after hurricane Rita. The conditions were very bad. Most stock trucks probably would have gotten stuck in the same conditions. But this is where I became aware of the TracRite GT's limitations. It wants to spin one tire.

I took the truck to the dealer and they agreed that it isn't working properly but the Dodge technical assistance and the service manual both stated that if there is no noise and the vehicle rolls there is nothing wrong with the TracRite unit.

It's funny, the last time I got the truck stuck (about 2+ feet of fluffy soft sand) I made the mistake of camping near where my truck was stuck. During the night several more trucks became stuck in the same spot.

The first was an old Chevy K5 blazer with big tires. He had open differentials.
The second truck stuck was a new Ford F250 but he eventually backed out of the spot.
The third truck stuck was a new GM diesel. He got pulled out by his buddies Dodge (who avoided the sand pit).

Anyway, only the heavy trucks got stuck. Not one 1/2 ton truck, of any make, had a problem with the soft sand. The heavy trucks all stuck. The Ford with the posi and street tires got out without digging.

Somewhere in that is a moral to the story. Oh yea...... I don't take my '03 to the beach anymore.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 AM

Poser, ?, how so?

It's none of your business but I got nothing to hide. Let's see, I was born in Detroit. I've worked in the automotive field my whole life.

Started out as a technician. I've worked at independants, fleets, and dealers (Ford, GM, and Dodge) during that 20 years. I worked in management part of that time.

I was hired by one of the manufactures to do dealer training. (Import) I did that for a little while.

And now as I'm approaching retirement I run a successful college automotive training program. I do know a little bit about cars.

I've hold and held ASE Master certification for 25 years (also ASE Master Machinist). I've held Chevrolet and Nissan Master certification.

Before my Dad died of lung cancer this past summer he had a cattle ranch 100 miles north of here that I would help him work. I've owned several 4WD trucks.

I first got the '03 Dodge stuck doing some scouting after hurricane Rita. The conditions were very bad. Most stock trucks probably would have gotten stuck in the same conditions. But this is where I became aware of the TracRite GT's limitations. It wants to spin one tire.

I took the truck to the dealer and they agreed that it isn't working properly but the Dodge technical assistance and the service manual both stated that if there is no noise and the vehicle rolls there is nothing wrong with the TracRite unit.

It's funny, the last time I got the truck stuck (about 2+ feet of fluffy soft sand) I made the mistake of camping near where my truck was stuck. During the night several more trucks became stuck in the same spot.

The first was an old Chevy K5 blazer with big tires. He had open differentials.
The second truck stuck was a new Ford F250 but he eventually backed out of the spot.
The third truck stuck was a new GM diesel. He got pulled out by his buddies Dodge (who avoided the sand pit).

Anyway, only the heavy trucks got stuck. Not one 1/2 ton truck, of any make, had a problem with the soft sand. The heavy trucks all stuck. The Ford with the posi and street tires got out without digging.

Somewhere in that is a moral to the story. Oh yea...... I don't take my '03 to the beach anymore.
Wow, that is impressive... but what I meant by poser was - I think that you really own a ford or a chevy and you are trying to sway people away from the Dodge by posing as if you own one and saying they suck at traction...of course I am joking
Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If seasoned veterans wouldn't post like trolling newbs, their point(s) could come across much more clearly.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Agreed. I've owned 2 Fords, 1 GMC and now a Dodge diesel 4x4. All had limited slip diffs and all got stuck pretty easy...something about a #3000+ motor & trans sitting on the front axle....lol. Don't think I'd ever buy a diesel pickup without 4x4. I had an old Studebaker 3/4 ton with a utility body and LS 4x2 that would go almost anywhere a jeep would
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned

my opinion has allready been stated in other threads.
now for the facts.
the trac rite gt is a torsen type diferential. same basic desighn but in a larger size than that that is equiped in millitary humvee's. it is a automatic torque biasing diferential. it does not has as agresive of a torque bias as some aftermarket torsen type products , ie; t2r, true trak etc.
torsen products by nature are directional, ie the have a directional bias. the trac rite gt i belive has about a 3: bias going forward, and a 2.75: ratio in reverse.
ie: if the low traction tire can handle 100 ft/lbs of torque/traction, the higher traction tire will recive 300 ft/lbs in fwd or 275 ft in reverse before alowing the low traction tire to spin. so if on ice, there is verry little resistance or traction., or torque transfer. but it can be fooled by aplying slight brake presure. ie: the diferential will still transfer atleast 3x the low side torque.

yes, in the gm version of the 11.5 they refer to it as a gov-loc. it is based on the old eaton version, but with some updates to improve reliability.
yes, it is 100% interchangeable with the chrysler one.

it is a clutch type with preload, if you do not like the chysler type in low traction enviorments , yes it will give more of a traditional "posi" type feel, but no wheres neer the same total torgue transfer capability.

yes most chevy powered competiters have switched to the chrysler type unit.

yes there are products in developement by aftermarket companys. no, they do not plan to have them available by the end of the year.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:42 AM

previous post

Gus,
that was very informative, and helpful. that you for taking the time to shed some more light on the subject. doug
Old 09-28-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The AAM Torsen posi definitely transfers a lot more torque than the Dana 80's do! The Dana's clutches will slip around the corners unless you're heavy on the throttle, but the AAM will squeal the tires on every corner unless you have a light foot. My '98 wears out the front tires, my '05 wears out the rears...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by doug60
Gus,
that was very informative, and helpful. that you for taking the time to shed some more light on the subject. doug

i do what i can with the limited braind god gave me...
then again being an " insider" on this topic doesnt hurt ether... lol
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 PM

Gus, thanks for the information, its this type of feedback some of us visit the boards for. Have friends to BS with, with ice boxs full of Buds. I guess others are just Lonely.
Based on your explantion, of torque transfer, in your opnion, would slight wheel slip/movement from 1 wheel then cause the torque transfer to the other, if this continued, increasing in speed, would it generate severe wheel hop?

On one occasion in heavy snow, I had to back up over 3/4 mile down a 2 track, not fun around and between trees, only way I could get back out. For some reason didnt cause the wheel hop I describe.

This type axle has many positive attiributes over the prior anti-slips I owned, it just doesnt seem to work under the conditions and terrian I drive. They do lock up well in a straight line pull, I suspect this is why guys are happy with they way they perform.

Who, is the after market working on a alternative axle, if you can say!
Thanks again for the post.

BIG DAVE--North of Detroit would be about where?? thumb area.