3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tourqe Management?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourqe Management?

Today I was needing to pull out into traffic in a rather energetic way. When I hit the skinny pedal it just sat there for about 1/2 second but that was enough that the hole was gone and there I was sitting in the middle of the oncoming lane. Luckily the oncoming lane was fairly clear and was able to stop well in advance of hitting me and I was able to back up until the next hole. When I realized that I wasn't going to make the hole and hit the brakes the truck kept wanting to go now and took a good second to idle down. Later on while not in a situation that I needed to go now I did the romp it thing and it took a second to idle down again. I need to know if this is an issue with the truck or just dealing with a computer controlled truck? I went from '97 manual to this truck. No gauges and still stock with 4800 miles on it.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
its called turbo lag
Old 03-13-2008, 09:31 PM

The reason for the truck taking a half a second for going forward is turbo lag. I takes the turbo a second to spool up so that is why it doesn't go instantly. The reason it keeps going is that the turbo is still spooled so it takes a second for the turbo to come down.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM

I now about lag. Guess I'm still adjusting to the fact that the computer is in control. I am really more concerned with the fact the engine was still pulling after I let off and was trying to stop. When the TPS reads 0 or whatever off is why didn't the fuel shut down. If I had not been on the brakes I would have hit a vehicle. I seem to have heard of some of the programmers having some sort of similar issue but mine has never seen one and may be having the same issue?

Again I may need to readjust my thinking and driving habits with the new computer controlled fuel management. I am wondering if it wouldn't cut fuel if boost is too high for idle fueling?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 PM

When you stick the pedal down hard the high pressure pump (IP) ramps up the pressure in the rail, if your off it quick it takes a little time to bleed that pressure off, hence the time it takes to stop pulling. As far as the lag on accel, that is all tq management. Some of the programmers can eliminate this, but it gets hard to drive in wet or otherwise slippery conditions. I have found you can cheat the tq mgt a little by rolling into the throttle instead of sticking it fast. Give it a try you'll learn it quick enough.