3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Took the turbo apart today, doesnt look good

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the turbo apart today, doesnt look good

Well, I was going to order twins after i rebuilt my turbo, doing either the stocker over the s475 or the arctic air twins but now i have to go another way. From all the research i have done, my shaft isnt suppose to look like this.

Here is my question, what can i do? Is it worth getting my stocker rebuilt, or just go ahead with a complete new set of twins? and im on a 4k budget for twins, it was 3k until i found this.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  102.2 KB
Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  98.9 KB
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 AM

It would be cheaper to buy a low miles stocker.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW!!!
What caused that??? Do you cool down before shutting the truck off? Bad oil? Tons of miles? That shaft is toast!

But on the bright side.... New turbo is something to smile about!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 AM

ive been running amsoil for 5 years now, i dont think its the oil. The turbo started making a weird noise about a year ago, and i think thats when it started. My truck is mostly a daily driver, but i tow every now and then. if i run it hard i usually cool it down for 2 mins with my timer, but for daily driving i dont let it cool down. When i get my twins, it will be cooled down everytime. the truck only has 87k miles. I think i got one of those trucks that everything else breaks but the engine.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truth be told, I'm much less concerned about the color than the how true the shaft is. Can you micro and see if it's wearing at the discoloration?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 AM

Update to this. This just looked weird to me and I've been thinking about it for the past days. When I lined things up with the shaft to the internals of the turbo, this didn't look right. So I took it to my friend at turbochargers Inc here in Memphis to get a professional opinion. When I bought my rebuild kit from him, he said if there is any scoring on the shaft, you can't rebuild it. Well as you can tell, this looked like scoring. After I brought this too him, he had the same wrong feeling as I did. Where it's scored here is where the oil cavity is on the turbo. The journal bearings ride at the end of the scoring. So he calls holset and asked them. This is directly from holset. "depending on the time of year the turbo was manufactured, part of the manufacturing process was to mill down part of the shaft for balancing."
So, if you are rebuilding your he351/hx35/hy35 and your shaft has this uniformed scoring where the oil cavity is, then this is completely normal. We also verified the shaft was true while I had it at his shop.
The good news, the wife already OK'd a full twin set up, now I have a moral decision, to tell her my stocker isn't broke, or ride the gravy train and get me a full set of twins. Hmmm
Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

You seriously asked if you tell your wife that the OE is good or keep that info from her ????

Seriously, if money is an issue, which it sounds like it's not, then I'd do the cheap stocker rebuild over the s-475. If not, go for the new twins, do the cheap rebuild anyway, and sell it for extra cash. I'd probably be up crap creek if I were in your shoes.....what with deciding on what to tell the wifey . I'd go for the new twins deal, but somehow, someway, the Gods would tell my wife what I had done and it would be all over but the crying at that point. Mine didn't speak to me for over 2 weeks when I got a darn good deal on my 62/65.

Good luck on whatever your decision.