3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Things to look for when moving to a 2007 3rd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Things to look for when moving to a 2007 3rd gen.

Guys, been a while since I was on here, life has been strange for the last 18 months, but that's another discussion. My beloved Greenie is in need of some serious work ( and $$$ ), starting with another trans. Much as I hate to say it, I just don't think I want to continue to put money in her, so now the question is, whats next? Been looking at 1/2 and 3/4 ton gassers, don't think I would be happy with a 1/2 ton, nor with the fuel bill of a 3/4 ton gasser, so even though I don't need a Diesel, well it kind of seems like I want one.

Found a couple of Dirtymaxes from 08-10 that fill the bill, but I just can't seem to get behind a glow plug engine. Don't get me wrong, if I don't find what I am looking for with a Dodge, I will go to the dark side.

That being said, I found an 07 5.9 Auto crew cab 4X4 here is the description. "5.9 Cummins, Automatic, New 285/75/7/17 Toyo Open Country ATs, Cat delete, Smarty Programmer, Edge CTS 2 Monitor, new fluids and filters all around fuel, trans, oil, differential, air. 163,500 miles"

Price is a touch high as far as I am concerned, but not stupid.

The question is, what should I be looking for when I go look at it, I am a complete noob idiot when it comes to 3rd gens and more specifically, anything common rail.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Well, for better or for worse, I am now a 3rd gen. guy. I ran the Carfax and the build sheet from the VIN, nothing else I would have personally ordered if I were to order one new, other than the infernal electric shift transfer case. Drove it, talked with the owner, and I couldn't find a darned thing wrong with it.

I need to figure out her name, right now Ghost comes to mind.

The following users liked this post:
StealthDiesel (11-21-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice truck. Looks like the owner took good care of it.

Best of luck!
Old 11-22-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That is a good looking truck. It looks like it has a slight lift kit or at least levelled also.

The 2007 5.9L trucks are the last 5.9L trucks and arguably the best, despite the 4 speed auto trans and goofy taillights.
The 2007 trucks were the 2nd year that Dodge went to TIPM and Canbus and much more electrically reliable than the 2006 trucks.
The goofy taillights can be replaced with aftermarket LED taillights. Installing the better looking 2006 and earlier taillights is a wiring challenge.

I don't see the CTS monitor installed. Plus I would set the Smarty to stock until you check the truck out top to bottom and drive it for a few weeks to make sure all is ok, especially the auto trans.

Aftermarket fender flares plus is that bed liner on the lower doors and rocker panels? I would be checking under the flares checking for any rust.

Good luck with the new rig!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Fine looking truck. My '07 is a quantum leap over my 98.5 aside from seats.
Get some seat covers on that gem. When I ordered mine the fleet guy asked "dash mounted 4x4?" I declined and he said "really"?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
That is a good looking truck. It looks like it has a slight lift kit or at least levelled also.

The 2007 5.9L trucks are the last 5.9L trucks and arguably the best, despite the 4 speed auto trans and goofy taillights.
The 2007 trucks were the 2nd year that Dodge went to TIPM and Canbus and much more electrically reliable than the 2006 trucks.
The goofy taillights can be replaced with aftermarket LED taillights. Installing the better looking 2006 and earlier taillights is a wiring challenge.

I don't see the CTS monitor installed. Plus I would set the Smarty to stock until you check the truck out top to bottom and drive it for a few weeks to make sure all is ok, especially the auto trans.

Aftermarket fender flares plus is that bed liner on the lower doors and rocker panels? I would be checking under the flares checking for any rust.

Good luck with the new rig!
The flares are factory installed, first thing I did when I pulled the build sheet was look to see if it was built with them. Looked under them the best I could before buying, and I believe it is solid under there. The bedliner on the rockers was supposedly done when almost new when the original owner had the bed lined, I thumped it pretty good and didn't feel any soft spots, but it is a 12 year old truck. From the looks of it, I think this one was a retired guys garage kept trailer tow rig. It has been significantly undercoated and looks virtually new underneath. The Smarty and monitor was installed by the second owner ( guy I bought it from ) He said he would not run it above a 3, that it was my call ( like I even know how to find it much less change any settings ). He seemed to be very much like I am, more about enough power without killing stuff. I have to say I am impressed with it so far, shifts beautiful, not sluggish and slippy like my first 97 Auto, I suspect Dodge stepped up its game with the Converters on the 48RE.

For grins, how do I set the Smarty to stock?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Danderson
Fine looking truck. My '07 is a quantum leap over my 98.5 aside from seats.
Get some seat covers on that gem. When I ordered mine the fleet guy asked "dash mounted 4x4?" I declined and he said "really"?
I don't get the rub on the seats, They aren't quite as comfy as my 97's, but certainly not the back busters some say. Could it be there are 2 different seats? this is one line from the build sheet "Cloth 40/20/40 Prem Bench Seat". Did they put more cushion in some than others? It is also power 6 way if that makes any difference.

I don't like the electric shift 4X4 at ALL, but I only found 2 05 up trucks for sale with a manual shift and both were far rougher than I wanted to pay good money for,