3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Terrible mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of the guys that has an 04.5 that gets really good mileage. My best is 20.6mpg, hand calculated, on one of my trips to Fla. last year. I honestly believe that the folks who "female dog" about their mileage have a lead foot IMNTBHO!!!!! OK, let the attack begin!!

I know a couple of guys on this forum personnally. We have similar trucks and live near each other. I drive like a Gramma and I admit it and so do they; but I do stick my foot in her now and then and she goes like the provervial "bat outa hell"!!! However in the course of my everyday driving I see quite a few Dodge/Cummins trucks. Now granted I'm rowing a 6-speed, bet these trucks are out of site from a standing start!!! That is not the way to "good mileage land"!!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I'd be willing to bet that if I drove any of you alls' truck out there who "B___H" about mileage, I can guarantee that I can get better mileage. Why you may ask????? It's my driving habits.

I learned early on in my driving life how to haul livestock. And it ain't the way many or you all in our beloved Dodge/Cummins trucks drive. In order to get livestock from point A to point B in one piece, or get livestock to market so they aren't stressed so they will grade high; you need a light right foot on both the go pedal and the brake!!!!

Now don't get me wrong here, I do understand that there are some problems with some trucks. There is the fact of winter blend fuel. But I'd be willing to bet a weeks wages that most of the "Problems" out there with poor mileage is "Driver Induced"!!!!

Let the attacks begin!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
jka

Dorkweed.......I agree, no attack here. I think it's all about momentum when your driving. Once you get rolling most of the "work" is done, it's how you get up to speed. You can mash accelerator and use alot of fuel or you can accelerate easily. Same goes for stopping.......look ahead, if you know you are going to have to stop, take your foot off the pedal and let the truck roll for awhile before braking. Saves brakes and fuel. If you see a hill coming up (especially when towing) give it a little throttle before you get to the hill, get the momentum up and it won't have to work as hard to maintain speed while making the climb.

Works for me.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:20 PM

I agree with you guys also. I know my right foot is pretty heavy when I'm in a hurry, but most of the time I drive normal. I'm trying to go through this tank, then see what happens.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 PM

I agree with that to a certain extent dorkweed. My brother has an 06 that's getting great mpg like yours from day one. No mods. He does not baby his trucks. He hauls the majority of the time, and doesn't hold back on the throttle(within reason). He hasn't hauled with this one yet, but will as soon as he can. He runs MMO from the first tank, and swears by it. He doesn't "mash" the pedal, but believe me, but again- he sure does not baby his truck. However- it seems there are so many complaints about mpg from so many people who have had CTDs in the past that I don't believe it is all "driving habits". I haven't seen a tremendous difference with the winter fuel over the years, but- I don't haul in the winter.(Just my $.02!)
Old 03-01-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by goose2
I to get a kick out of everyone that owns these great ctd. They all wan't 310hp and 25 mpg. The only question I have for them is. Why didn't you buy a Honda Ridgeline? It will get you about 22mpg, is about 1/2 the size, can't hall or tow Edit, and still cost you $35,000.00. Me, I don't think so. I am one very proud owner of the ctd. I don't care what the mpg is because I know I allways have all the power I need, to do what ever I need.
I dont think we are expecting 25 mpg but I do expect more than 11.5, thats not much better than a class 8 tractor trailer.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
I dont think we are expecting 25 mpg but I do expect more than 11.5, thats not much better than a class 8 tractor trailer.
Exactly... Once again, a post that is nowhere near constructive (Goose2's). And by the way, I DO want 310hp and 25mpg's. Heck, I want 500hp, 50mpg, and no maintenance while we are at it. I think we all want that even though it's not realistic.

I do notice a 1-3mpg reduction in the winter vs summer. It's not just the blended fuel, these things just push too much air out of the way, but that's mostly highway mileage. It's 60 degrees out today here. I drove 500 miles today and I still have a little over 1/4 tank left. 2 weeks ago it was closer to 0 degrees and I had to fill at 450 miles. Your User Cp doesn't mention where you are from, but if you are in a cold part of the country you should also consider a winter front. That will help it getting to FOT more quickly which will maximize mileage.

I would also tell you to get out on the highway and open it up. My truck runs the quietest/smoothest when I have run it while working. If I take a week off and just tool around town, it starts to run rougher and mileage starts to drop.

It runs even smoother after I've had my trailer hitched up for a week. I think getting the EGT's up (800-1200) every once and a while is good.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've noticed the same thing about getting better mileage after a good workout. I wonder why? A good hard run up into the mountains on a hot day, or towing a heavy trailer, and then for a week or two the mileage empty is a mile or two per gallon better.
I've also made the mistake of getting the computer on metric, and for a day or two, wondering why the mileage is down around twelve or so.

Wetspirit
Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
MPG Secrets from Cummins

This is an interesting read although most of you already know what you need to do to increase MPG. The paper is directed at OTR trucks but most also applys to us.

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...Whitepaper.pdf (from RORT)

Cliff Notes:

The most efficient drivers get about 30% better fuel economy than the least efficient drivers.

Ambient Temperatures

Air becomes more dense as temperatures drop, which increases air resistance. For every 10° F drop in temperature, aerodynamic drag increases by 2%. Thus, fuel efficiency will drop by 1%. (and I was thinking more dense air would give more air to the engine, didn't think about drag)

Speed

Above 55 mph, each 1 mph increase in vehicle speed decreases mileage by 0.1 mpg.

Fuel Blends

While blended fuels provide better startability and protection against fuel gelling than standard #2 diesel, fuel efficiency decreases. "Summer" fuel improves mileage up to 3% more than "winter" fuel.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Xonid
I took my Rokktech off a while back.
The Rokktech might work better on the "600/610" engines, It has been said the timing was retarded a little on those.

I would be intereted in trying a Rokktech, If someone wants to sell their's PM me.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:38 PM

Yesterday I drove to another town about 45 min. away to go trap shooting, and the truck averaged about 15 mpg at roughly 60-65 mph. I think all the around town driving is what killed it.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:33 PM

You guys with the loaded-up 4x4 MCs and QCs just kill me when you moan about fuel mileage.

I drive an auto, long-bed, 2003 HO ST. It apparently was ordered expressly to tow, because there's nothing extra on this truck at all that does not involve towing. I believe this must be the lightest LWB 03 Ram in town.

I make an empty 500 mile round trip from SE GA to mid-central GA once per month, and hand-calced and filled to the filler neck, it has given me 21.1 mpg on these trips.

Now, I WOULD worry if I were getting 11 mpg and other folks with trucks like mine were getting 21 mpg, but if you want better mileage, get a truck like mine and drive like me.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Hey ducktape, I'm not coming on this thread to brag about my setup/mileage or to you lecture you. Just a thought I just had. If this is a relatively new thing try checking your fuel filter. Not sure how many miles you have on the current one, but when they start to clog and build up differential pressure your mileage will start to go south on ya. Like I said...just a thought.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by goose2
I to get a kick out of everyone that owns these great ctd. They all wan't 310hp and 25 mpg. The only question I have for them is. Why didn't you buy a Honda Ridgeline? It will get you about 22mpg, is about 1/2 the size, can't hall or tow Edit, and still cost you $35,000.00. Me, I don't think so. I am one very proud owner of the ctd. I don't care what the mpg is because I know I allways have all the power I need, to do what ever I need.

Economy had always been THE DEAL for a diesel engine set up..........they USED to be designed to be more economical than a gasoline engine........I have personally owned 6 different CTD's and three of them, the '89, '92, & '93 that had the pumps tweaked would get 22-24 mpg and pull circles around any 24-valve CTD around, YES ESPCICALLY THE '05 & '06's - I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but don't belittle those of us who have been driving CTD's for OVER 13YEARS and remember what it used to be like to have power to spare for any load and then bust 22 mpg empty WITH THE SAME TRUCK, OK.
I for one wish we could get the 1992 model CTD in a 2005 chassis.......that would be nice..........while I am dreaming lets add a 7 - spd. fully synchronized Eaton.................OK......I feel better now........
Old 03-04-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
... but if you want better mileage, get a truck like mine and drive like me.
You should do an infomercial for a driving skills DVD. 3 easy payments of $9.99...