3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Telling if Injector Pump is out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Telling if Injector Pump is out

Since my truck won't start, doesn't smoke when i try to start it, has pleanty of fuel to the injector pump, and has no codes beside s the water code, i'm thinking my injectro pump may have went south from soem starvation.
Our john deere tractors with boscho pumps will run fine and then one day won't pump any fuel when you crank on them, so if I pull an injector line loose can I just crank on it and see if it squirts? Do in need to do some sort of bleeding if I take a line loose?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:56 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever you do DO NOT TAKE ANY LINES LOOSE WHILE CRANKING THE ENGINE!!!! READ THAT AGAIN!!! The injection pump is capable of up to 30000 psi of pressure! That can pierce the skin and head to your hear or brain and KILL YOU! Now, with the water code, are you sure you dont have a bunch of water? Can you hear the FCA ticking? That is the solenoid looking thing on the back of the CP3 pump? Any other codes pop up?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
Whatever you do DO NOT TAKE ANY LINES LOOSE WHILE CRANKING THE ENGINE!!!! READ THAT AGAIN!!! The injection pump is capable of up to 30000 psi of pressure! That can pierce the skin and head to your hear or brain and KILL YOU! Now, with the water code, are you sure you dont have a bunch of water? Can you hear the FCA ticking? That is the solenoid looking thing on the back of the CP3 pump? Any other codes pop up?
An injection line off while cranking is not dangerous just messy.Very little pressure will be built with an open line.Cracking a line while running is very dangerous.

Bob
Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Do what you want, but I'll be here to say I told you so! If there is a problem with the FCA, or with the rail pressure sensor, or the rail relief valve, the system has the capability of producing up to 30,000 psi. If you even think about it, you deserve the consequences. I am a Chrysler Silver and Bronze certified technician with over 15 years of experience. I am also an A.S.E. master certified technician. Now......who would you take advice from? The nerve of some people!
Old 08-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
Do what you want, but I'll be here to say I told you so! If there is a problem with the FCA, or with the rail pressure sensor, or the rail relief valve, the system has the capability of producing up to 30,000 psi. If you even think about it, you deserve the consequences. I am a Chrysler Silver and Bronze certified technician with over 15 years of experience. I am also an A.S.E. master certified technician. Now......who would you take advice from? The nerve of some people!
easy guys now both of you take your corners wait for the bell and come out typing sounds like a bad fca if it gets a little dirt in it it will stick and not flow fuel
Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM

Well we take lines of ftractors all the time and crank them over to see if they are squirting, but I would never hold it or stand in the line of fire, anywyas, the pickup cranked up miraculously, but here are its symptoms, the water code is still there, but i drain the trap and only good ole diesle comes out, when i rev it to say 2000 with it in park it stays there and bobbles from 1800 to 2200 then after 10 or so seconds it backs down to idle, when i drive it, it has a wierd kind of popping sound in the exhaust, but doesn't seem to have any power loss. I will oad it up later to take to the shop if someoen cannot piece my mystery together, anyways, thanks guys.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I've been doin more lurking here than anything but I love a good pp match.

The HIGH PRESSURE pump does not control fuel injection. It's only purpose is to provide high pressure fuel. The lines and manifold are nothing more that a high psi reservior. You have NO injection pump....unless you're talking about your "Cummings" turbo diesel....then you can call it an injection pump.

...and I agree...Do NOT open the high psi system with the engine running, matter of fact, make it a point to keep your meat beaters away from the lines while it's running period. Some of those leaks can be extremely fine and will pierce the skin. If you open a line and crank you'll only note that there is fuel available...nothing more and imho not worth the time. You might see fuel, but it's not going to tell you in any way shape or form if it's enough to fire up the engine.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:45 PM

VZDUDE,

You got my attention.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I was just trying to emphasize the importance of not cracking the lines. There is a good possibility that nothing will happen, but there is always that chance. The result could be very bad. I was told in the class for the common rail that one Cummins engineer died after getting some diesel in his blood stream , and he supposedly KNEW what he was doing! Just please don't take the chance.

Now as for the water in fuel light. I/ve seen the sensor go bad, and IIRC that code can derate the engine. It will defuel so as supposedly not dmamge the engine. I'll see what I can dig up for a diagnostic chart and/or TSB.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Here is a pic of the water in fuel sensor. Try unpluggin it and see if the light goes out or the code goes away. Then see if the engine runs better. The sensor may have gone bad.

Water-In-Fuel (WIF) Sensor Replacement: The WIF sensor is located on the side of the fuel filter housing (FILTER HOUSING).
Disconnect electrical connector at sensor.
Clean area around sensor.
Remove sensor by rotating counter-clockwise.
Check condition of sensor o-ring. Replace if damaged.
1 - FILTER HOUSING
2 - FUEL HEATER AND THERMOSTAT
3 - FUEL HEATER MOUNTING SCREWS
4 - FUEL HEATER ELEC. CONNECTOR
5 - WIF SENSOR
6 - WIF SENSOR ELEC. CONNECTOR
7 - DRAIN HOSE
8 - DRAIN VALVE MOUNTING SCREWS
9 - DRAIN VALVE
Attached Thumbnails Telling if Injector Pump is out-80fd2f01.gif  
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

P2269-WATER IN FUEL (WIF)

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

When Monitored:
Ignition on.

Set Condition:
Low voltage detected at the WIF signal circuit at the ECM.

Possible Causes
OTHER DTC'S PRESENT
WATER IN FUEL
ECM
INTERMITTENT CONDITION

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Diagnostic Test
1. OTHER DTC'S PRESENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Do you have any additional water in fuel DTC's?

Yes
Repair other Water in fuel sensor DTC's first.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
Go To 2

2. WATER IN FUEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using the service publications as a guide, drain the water in fuel separator.

Did the DTC become inactive after draining the water in fuel separator?

Yes
Clear DTC, repair complete.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
Go To 3

3. ECM

Disconnect the WIF sensor harness connector.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Using the scan tool, monitor for DTC's while connecting a jumper wire between the (G123) signal circuit of the water in fuel sensor and battery voltage.

Did the water in fuel light go out?

Yes
Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
Replace and program the ECM in accordance with the Service Information.
Attached Thumbnails Telling if Injector Pump is out-81474502.gif   Telling if Injector Pump is out-814a0e90.jpg  
Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 AM

Wow, thats alot of info, I am definetly having defueling, that may actually be my whole problem, I unplugged the sensor yesterday to make sure it was connecting good, but that was it, tomorro wbefore I take it in I will remove it and make sure it looks good and clean, maybe it has some rust in it from my little incident.
Thanks alot for your time Vz dude.