3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Suddenly squeaky clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suddenly squeaky clutch pedal?

I was driving along yesterday, all's well, no problems at all. I stopped for traffic, and when I used the clutch to get going again I suddenly have a horrendous squeeeeeeak when I move the clutch pedal. Clutch in or out, doesn't matter, if I move it I get a VERY loud squeeeeeeak. My wife could hear it outside the truck with the engine still running. It wasn't doing it all day, then I stop at a corner and BANG - a squeak appears out of nowhere. It seems to be coming from under the dash as opposed to under the truck itself.

Everything seems to be working, clutch engages and disengages properly and so forth, so I figured I'd just have it checked at some later, convenient time.

So I'm ready to leave for work this morning, go out and start the truck, and... no squeak. Nothing at all. Perfectly silent again. Another one of those "No, really, Mr. Service Writer, it DOES make a noise when I do this" situations.

The only thing I can attribute it to is temperature - yesterday was the hottest day since I've owned this brand-new truck. But it had sat in the 90F+ temperatures ALL DAY and then ran perfectly with no squeak. I drive it for ~30 minutes in mixed driving, and then for no particular reason at just another street corner, it starts squeaking. And then stops overnight. And then stays quiet all the way into town this morning.

Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:09 AM

I chased what I thought was a squeeky clutch pedal for days in my truck... Same thing as you: some times it would squeek, other times it wouldn't. The thing that really chapped my hide was the fact it would squeek like crazy when I used my foot to push the clutch, but if I stood outside the truck and used my hand to push it while my head was up under the dash to take a peek, it was dead silent Then, I decided to hop back in the seat and just move my leg in and out, but not touch the clutch pedal: guess what??? The squeek was actually coming from the SEAT!!! Turns out the foam on the seat cushion wasn't playing nicely with one of the wire stringers/springs, so I took my handy canister of silicon spray lube and got a grease rag nice and damp with it, and then slid it along those stringers/springs. Not a peep since, and that was almost 2-years ago... Don't know if that's your noise or not, but thought I'd share just in case
Old 05-17-2006, 11:54 AM

Sorry I don't have a solution, but my truck does the same thing. It has done it since about my second month of ownership, and that was over a year ago. Sometimes it squeaks, sometimes it doesn't. It hasn't failed me though...yet. Only thing I can guess is that it's a seal on the clutch master cylinder? They shouldn't squeak like that so it'll probably fail prematurely is my guess. Just been too lazy to even try to take it to the dealership for this issue, and they'll probably say they can't do anything until it fails anyway.

The other thing my clutch pedal does is sometimes it makes a rattling sound after it's let out while in gear, but the solution (er...stopgap fix? not really a solution) I found is to put my foot behind the pedal and tap up on the pedal briefly and then the rattling stops.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sdaly
Only thing I can guess is that it's a seal on the clutch master cylinder? They shouldn't squeak like that so it'll probably fail prematurely is my guess. Just been too lazy to even try to take it to the dealership for this issue, and they'll probably say they can't do anything until it fails anyway.

The other thing my clutch pedal does is sometimes it makes a rattling sound after it's let out while in gear, but the solution (er...stopgap fix? not really a solution) I found is to put my foot behind the pedal and tap up on the pedal briefly and then the rattling stops.
There is a seal on the piston but it is in contact with the fluid so it won't squeak. Then there is a dust seal on the pedal end that might be squeaking but I doubt it.

I thought I heard something about the clutch pedal pivot bushing wearing out and causing a squeak.

Mine has more of a chirp/groan sound but it is probably the same sound you are hearing. I'm not too worried about it yet.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:22 PM

It started up again yesterday afternoon so I drove straight to the dealer and had their tech listen to it. He said "Yep, we see a lot of these when it gets warm. It's the pedal bearing. The guys have some silicone and a grease they use on these. Drop it by sometime and we'll fix it."

Having confirmed it's nothing serious, I could probably fix it myself. But it's in warranty, so I'll let them do it.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:09 PM

I've had a squeaky/groaning clutch master cylinder and a rattling clutch pedal. To fix squirt a shot of silcone lubricant into where the rod enters the clutch master cylinder. To fix the rattling pedal, remove the plastic shaft that connects to the back of the pedal. Put a nice sized dab of grease where the rod connects into the back of the pedal and reinsert the pin that holds everything in place. Sounds cryptic as I write, but remove the access panel under the steering wheel, crawl up in there and have a look, it will become obvious.