3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Strange Idle Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Idle Question

Hey guys,

My truck idles kind of funny. It idles fine and then all of a sudden will hiccup (sputter), then idle normal again. It does it off and on while it is idling. There is no chip and all it has is exhaust....Any guesses or is this normal? It is not a bad sputter. Just a slight hiccup.....

Shayne
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

change your fuel filter regularly?

brett
Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Do you have the heater set on one of the defrost modes? Each time the A/C compressor kicks in it will draw the engine down a bit. Mine does this too. Try running on the heater settings once the windows are clear......
Old 03-30-2007, 04:24 AM

My '03 has been doing something similar for about a week now, some starts are fine and some it will idle ROUGH (MISS). Coming off the highway to a light after a 45 mile run it will idle fine the just start to miss again. I'm trying to run the seafoam bath through it now and filter has about 12k on it. I have tried to revert everything back to stock with the exception of the K&N, exhaust, and silencer mod. Does not matter if the air is on or not. Also started to miss/slip during driving range at low boost so I pulled the trans pan and adjusted the bands which fixed that. Any advise on the miss or rough idle would be appreciated. If it could be fuel delivery related do you think the CP3 mod would help?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003QCDodge
My '03 has been doing something similar for about a week now, some starts are fine and some it will idle ROUGH (MISS). Coming off the highway to a light after a 45 mile run it will idle fine the just start to miss again.
First off, welcome to DTR.

My '03 started missing a bit on idle and it progressed to missing a lot while driving. The CEL came on and I pulled the codes which told me something was wrong with injector #1. Turns out it was no longer working, and stuck in the "Closed" position. Closed was a good thing as some folks here report their's broke which flows fuel and fills their crankcase till it overflows and paints the bottom and back of thier truck....

Is your CEL on? Have you checked for codes? Turn your key on, off, on, off, on without turning it to 'start'. The codes will read out in the odometer as Pnnnn where the nnnn is a 4 digit code. It will read Pdone when done.

I'm trying to run the seafoam bath through it now and filter has about 12k on it. I have tried to revert everything back to stock with the exception of the K&N, exhaust, and silencer mod.
Some folks bath occationally, some bath constantly. I use Stanadyne every fill up since my injector was replaced under warrantee, about 30k miles ago. What is it you are reverting back to stock? Fill in your signiture (click on "User CP" up in the dark blue bar up by the top of the page). How many miles does your truck have?

If it could be fuel delivery related do you think the CP3 mod would help?
It really depends on what the real issue is. If you have a bad stick or sensor, then no, a new CP3 won't help. Check for codes.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:59 AM

New here.

My stock 03 HO is doing the same thing with 89K on it. Its very intermittant so I cant seem to pin it down. So far there are no codes and I have recently changed the fuel filter. I suspect an injector is beginning to fail. Hopefully it will go in the next 10k miles and I can warrenty it.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 AM

codes codes codes

103k and have the following codes pulled about 10 minutes ago.
P2269 = Water in Fuel? fuel/water light not illuminated on dash
P2149 = Fuel Injector Group2 Supply Voltage Circuit? HUH?
P0202 = Fuel Injector 2 Circuit? HUH?
P2146 = Fuel Injector Group 1 Supply Voltage circuit? HUH?

Does this mean that my wires are not connected good?

I am trying to find out where to find out what these codes mean, anyone have a link?

Also about 3.1k ago it went into Dodge for "warranty" because I was getting a puddle of fuel under the truck, last chance for warranty work, so here I go. Dodge said it was a leaking line.... yeah okay so they replaced it and now I don't have a puddle. I replaced the fuel filter today and drained the thing. no water as of yet, but filled the filter housing up with seafoam for good measure and fired it up. No stall and it seems to be idling better. Check engine light wasn't on before that, but is now. 2 days ago about 20k after a Trans flush at a local oil place I pulled the pan to to adjust the bands and filter, all seems well with what little slippage and soft shifts I had.

Last edited by 2003QCDodge; 03-30-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 PM

FAQ section at the top of this page...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
103k and have the following codes pulled about 10 minutes ago.
P2269
P2149
P0202
P2146
Water in the fuel (2269, might have been your seafoam). P0202 is your #2 injector circuit, P2146 Fuel Injector Group 1 Supply Voltage Circuit, and P2149 Fuel Injector Group 2 Supply Voltage Circuit. When my #1 injector went out, I got the #1 Injector circuit and fuel injector Group 1 together. If you are going to change out your injectors, look into F1.

I am trying to find out where to find out what these codes mean, anyone have a link?
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1 or http://tinyurl.com/bvsp6 and http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Also about 3.1k ago it went into Dodge for "warranty" because I was getting a puddle of fuel under the truck, last chance for warranty work, so here I go. Dodge said it was a leaking line....
Did they say which one? I heard the #6 one wasn't originally supported well and vibrates till it cracks. I have almost 130k miles on mine, no leak yet.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:54 PM

Ordered injectors...ETA next week. just reset codes and lubed all the FI connections... we'll soon see if it repeats or will be driveable
Old 03-30-2007, 02:59 PM

FYI I took the time to use electrical grease on all the connections, and codes are all clear for last 25 miles. I did however order the F1 Flux 2 injectors. Would now be a good time to mod the CP3, Or should I focus on making the trans hold stronger? What kind of luck are you guys out there having with the Stock Automatic?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:19 PM

I do change my filter regularly....Hmm..Need to look into this further. So far no CEL or codes to speak of.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck did this. It was the lift pump. The one on the block was starting to die. Have you ever had your LP replaced? That would be my guess since my truck did the exact same thing. Fuel pressure guage helped a ton on the diagnoses. I could see my pressure change. If you have had the new in tank LP put on I also heard about a possible wiring harness issue with the replacement in tank LP.