3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Straight Pipe Idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Pipe Idea

I was wondering since so many people on the other site(TDR) were complaining about a crappy ricer sound when straight piping a '03. If you were to put in an expansion chamber type device inline if that would help the sound. What I am talking about it if it comes out of the turbo at 3.5" take the muffler out and get a piece of 5" pipe and stick in place of the muffler and reduce it back down to 4". This would do the same thing as a muffler without the fiberglass packing material. What do ya'll think. Maybe I am way off on my idea. I dont know, but I want ya'lls opnions. Kyle
Old 04-17-2003, 11:42 AM

Re:Straight Pipe Idea

I can't see the ricer sound at all, mine sounds like a semi. When I roll the windows down it is just like there is a semi sitting right next to me as I go under overpasses or tunnels. When you roll the windows up it sounds just like my buddies 1999 cummins that is straight piped except the clatter is not so loud. I don't hear any sound like a ricer, more like a freightliner. All I can say is I get a 22-23 mpg now and I guess the straightpipe must have helped.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:53 AM

is it obnoxious'ly loud or annoying to neighbors and such?
Old 04-18-2003, 11:01 AM

Do you the '03 have silencer rings? if so take it out. you wont sound anywhere near a ricer.
SD03
Old 04-18-2003, 03:47 PM

I really don't think I need to remove the silencer for it to sing nice and pretty, she sings right now, but yes that is one way that she will not sound riceish. No, I have not had a single complaint from the neighbors about my truck, but really I don't floor it towing the fifth wheel in the neighborhood either. If I got up at 2AM and hooked up to the fiver and pulled out in the road and hammered the throttle to the floor in every gear I would probably get calls, but since I don't drive with my foot against the floor I will never have a problem. By the way the only comment that I had was from my sister, she was sniveling that when she follows me and I take off from a stop hard she can't carry on a conversation in her car behind me with the windows down, she said "That thing is LOUD!" But there again she hates semis.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:51 PM

man i cant amagine a 03 cummins sounding like a ricer?? that is crazy! i havent gotten to ride in one or drive one or anything! so i could b way out of line but my 99 and 93 both straight piped sound like there staight out of the gates of hell!!! all kinds of loud and crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2003, 11:08 PM

I have not had the folks around here complain much but then again there always seems to be a cop in the area after I get home from work at 4:00AM :<br>DM01
Old 04-21-2003, 10:43 AM

Actually any truck sounds like a ricer above 2000 RPM. Thats just the nature of the beast. I am happy with the 5&quot; straight pipe. Jeff
Old 05-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Banned

[quote author=Green Giant link=board=20;threadid=13690;start=0#130175 date=1050939807]<br>Actually any truck sounds like a ricer above 2000 RPM. Thats just the nature of the beast. I am happy with the 5&quot; straight pipe. Jeff<br>[/quote]<br><br>Mine sure as heck doesn't sound anywhere near what a ricer sound like. Mine's deep, throaty, LOUD as can be, and has a nice, loud whistle to it ;D. You know it's not a ricer when you hear me coming.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:22 AM

I have been told not to take off the muffler and resinator (?) of my 2000 4x4 CTD because I would reduce backpressure too much with my Superchips D box. Also been told that is hogwash.............any other comments or opinions? I would like to improve my mileage as I saw on previous post!

Can't afford to get the 4" exhaust upgrade!!
Old 01-25-2004, 07:59 AM

ricer ... you're kidding right?
anyone that thinks a straight piped cummins sounds like a ricer is crazy ....
and if anyone thinks they can hear the turbo on a stock truck, it's only because they haven't heard one with the ring and baffle out ...

a straight piped cummins sounds like a ricer
Old 01-25-2004, 08:42 PM

I was at AutoZone the other day, and as i pulled up, i noticed a gray 03 cummins that had like a 5 inch tip on the end of the stock tailpipe, but it wasnt running so i didnt know if it was straight piped or not. I walked in, and there were 2 younger boys in there(older than me though;im only 16), and when they walked out i saw them get in the dodge, so right before they fired it up, i ran outside. When it started i knew it was straight piped. He took off going up the hill the autozone is on, and stomped down on it(it was an auto), and it broke the tires loose, and started coming sideways with him(it was a little wet). Then he let off, and got on up the hill some, and did it again, and it broke them loose again . It was also LOUD. I think they are louder than any of the 89-2002's when theyre straight piped, and i think they sound SWEET ! I like the sound of a 94-02 a little better, but there is no way i would complain about the sound of an 03/04. Overall, i think the new cummins' are awesome trucks. They are plenty powerful stock(even though if i got one i would have to modify it), and will last forever.

Eric
Old 01-25-2004, 11:37 PM

I remover cat and Muff, had a straight pipe all the way, and pulled our 5er 35000 k/m last year and as for me I love the sound but I have my wife to consider, and I must agree that it is hard to enjoy good music when driving for 8 to 10 hrs a day. Plus we had to speak to each other with a slight elevated voice to be understood all the time. So there are reasons other than noise to consider.
So for the pleasure of my wife and for the both of us I did the unthinkable, I put the muff back on......................Shame on me.

Robert
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Straight Pipe Idea

Originally posted by KSwanner
I was wondering since so many people on the other site(TDR) were complaining about a crappy ricer sound when straight piping a '03. If you were to put in an expansion chamber type device inline if that would help the sound. What I am talking about it if it comes out of the turbo at 3.5&quot; take the muffler out and get a piece of 5&quot; pipe and stick in place of the muffler and reduce it back down to 4&quot;. This would do the same thing as a muffler without the fiberglass packing material. What do ya'll think. Maybe I am way off on my idea. I dont know, but I want ya'lls opnions. Kyle
In the 1950's we called them echo chambers, won't quiet it at all.

Fishbait, that is pure hogwash. No back pressure is needed or wanted on the turbo diesel.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:09 AM

I noticed that some people talk about a cat on there truck. I straight piped mine and all I had was a big ol garbage can muffler on mine. Did DC put cats for the trucks up north and the trucks down here in the south have just mufflers. Hey HOSS did your truck come with just MUFFLER or what ?

Quick Reply: Straight Pipe Idea