3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Standard transmission clutch slips

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard transmission clutch slips

I have a 2006 1 ton dually with 27,000 miles and a bully dog programmer. I been pulling a 28 ft toy hauler for about a year now. I have the programmer set in the second position ( performance )

I noticed that the clutch is begining to slip in 6th gear while pulling the trailer. I have a heavy foot and sometimes I tow the trailer at 80 mph.

I took the truck to the dodge dealer ship and had them take it for a test drive. with out the trailer. The mechanic lugged the engine in six gear and acclerated but the clutch didnt slip. I dont think the clutch should be slipping at 27,000 miles.

What is a acceptable towing speed and should I tow in 5th gear only?
What is the maximum towing speed while towing a trailer?

Any comments or suggestions?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM

With the Bully Dog programmer all bets are off. If you turn up the truck past the stock settings, stuff is going to break. That seems to be the way things flow. If your slippage gets bad enough and you want to get the dealer to waranty it, you may need to pull the bully Dog and reset the amount of ignition cycles. Seems the Bully Dog resets your cycles, and if you just pull it off and bring it to the dealer and they decide to hook it up to a computer they are going to know something is up because they are starting to train their techs to look for this... (Can't have 27,000 miles and only 5 ignition cycles).

On another note if your dealer is "mod" friendly-- In Alaska there have been about 5 or so G-56 truck clutch failures in the past couple weeks at my dealership.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Bigdaddystroker- Guaranteed your Bully Dog and the increased hp/tq is the reason your clutch is slipping. If you want to tow with a box or programmer, you have to expect the clutch to have a shortened life. Just the way it is...

snoyes- Where are you located?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 AM

I run a set 70hp module all the time on my '06. I am not sure what the performance level on the Bully Dog puts out, but I have yet to have any clutch issues when towing. But, I don't push the truck hard. I also down gear on step hills and just take my time. With the added power, the clutch is the weakest link now. The heavy foot and the speed is mostly your problem. Try slowing down a little and don't do any full throttle pulls. Also try down gearing on hills.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

I smoked my clutch with 200 miles on my truck now I have a Haisley and all is good.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bigdaddystroker
I have a 2006 1 ton dually with 27,000 miles and a bully dog programmer. I been pulling a 28 ft toy hauler for about a year now. I have the programmer set in the second position ( performance )

I noticed that the clutch is begining to slip in 6th gear while pulling the trailer. I have a heavy foot and sometimes I tow the trailer at 80 mph.

I took the truck to the dodge dealer ship and had them take it for a test drive. with out the trailer. The mechanic lugged the engine in six gear and acclerated but the clutch didnt slip. I dont think the clutch should be slipping at 27,000 miles.

What is a acceptable towing speed and should I tow in 5th gear only?
What is the maximum towing speed while towing a trailer?

Any comments or suggestions?
You have a programmer, tow 10k @ 80mph in sixth gear and wonder why the clutch slips?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it out of performance while towing and it wont slip plus you should be getting a little hot as far as egt's i only use the tow mode cuz i can ruin the clutch in the others
Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Dang Big daddy....you probably shouldn't be drivin let alone pullin a 28ft trailer...i mean seriously...80mph??? and ur worried about the clutch??? what about you're life and others around you??? have you ever pulled over and checked your trailer tire temps?? i mean don't get me wrong you can SAFELY pull a properly equiped trailer at 80mph, but toyboxes, especialy bumper pull IMO, have under-rated tires, axles and brakes before you even put anything inside them!!! The maximum speed while pulling a trailer in the US is 55mph, 65-70mph is the fastest I feel comfortable pulling any trailer tire, depending on the load and tire construction (radial/bias). Please trailer safely!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 PM

I have the same truck with 21,000 and 35's and mine doesn't slip.

Then again, I don't tow at over 70mph........(legal in Nevada)

I would say don't take it to the dealer, it's not the clutchs' fault.

You are heating up the clutch and the gear box at that speed. It's always best to tow in a direct gear such as 5th, but you won't be going as fast as you are accustomed to driving.

There is a point where these trucks have a powerband kinda like a two stroke dirt bike, and it happens around 2500 rpm. At least with my truck it does.

If I punch it, I can slip the clutch in any gear if all circumstances are met and the boost is coming up fast.

Let's say you punch it, and the motor lags for a second while it develops boost, then all of a sudden at 2500rpm here comes all that fuel and all that boost.

Whaaaammmmy! A ton of power and clutch slippage and then you have to let off so you can shift before rpms get too high.

I also leave mine in performance while towing. Just roll through 2500 rpm without flooring it, then you can mash it once you get past that point. Try not to hold it ther long.

I hope you have guages, cuz if you're running 80mph in 6th gear towing a toyhauler fully loaded your EGTs will be through the roof.

Trust me on this one, you don't want an aftermarket clutch regardless of who makes it. There are grabby and no fun to drive. Your best clutch for overall driveability is the stock one.

Slow down a little and feather the go pedal instead of mashing it when towing. You'll enjoy your truck a lot more if you can control your right foot and keep your stock parts intact.

..............Jim
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 AM

Ok thanks for the feedback everyone. The clutch is not covered after 12,000 miles.