3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

SOOO How much power can be made?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOOO How much power can be made?

As the title says, I am wondering how much abuse the 48re can take if you were to just do a tc and vb. I want to put some good power through but not fry the whole unit since that is not in the budget anytime soon. Give me some numbers if possible. I am looking to run the diablo on extreme rkl and not bat an eye at it. If this is possible let me know, or if I am just pipe dreamin. Thanks all.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 AM

A little over 400 if your hard on the pedal and maybe 450 if you baby it, but what do I know I grind gears all day.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:47 AM

you talkin at the fly right, what about at the wheels
Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The question you are asking is really just a matter of luck and how hard you are on the truck. Mine makes pretty decent power and my trans is still stock except for a double deep pan. I service it every 20k miles....drain, change trans filter, and refill.

Some guys have bad luck and tear up their trans even at stock power. So there really is no certainty in the answer to your question, imo.

The safe bet is to keep it stock. IF you want to increase power, particularly over 100hp more,....I'd start budgeting for a trans upgrade. You might have great luck running just a VB and TC....even at 500hp. Then again....

Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 AM

Your trans is not long for this world if you run the Extreme RKL tune. That will put you at around 430hp at the wheels and I don't think just a converter and valve body will save your trans. Having said that, member 2-stroke ran the BD Crazy Larry for a couple years and beat the crap out of his truck and somehow his trans held up. He dynoed at around 455hp or something like that. I haven't seen him on here in quite a while (Probably banned) so I don't know if it is still going strong or not. Last I talked to him he could feel that it was going south......
Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 AM
HOV

All a convertor does is transfer the power from your engine to your transmission. A valve body will provide fluid pressure to the right parts at the right times.

What really applies the power to the shafts are the clutch packs for 1st, 3rd, and OD, and the band for 2nd. Your upgraded convertor may do a fine job of transferring the power to the transmission, but what good is it if your clutches slip?

And how is your valve body going to get the fluid pressure to the right places at the right times if your crappy stock gaskets, actuators, washers, etc. aren't up to the task of managing that increased fluid pressure and it leaks all around them?

And what good is any of that if your thin stock flexplate tears apart under the stress of the added power, grenading your new convertor in the process?

Is the aluminum case of the 48RE stiff enough to handle the monster power you'll make, or does it need reinforcement at its weakest point (the pan)? The stock pan is about as thick as a cookie tin.

The upgraded TC and VB won't solve any of those problems!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Yeah, as I suspected. It is just a dream, well, I will keep saving up for my tranny then, so I can run with the big boys!!