3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Somewhat Worried

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GrandpasRam
Insidious, I agree with the others about the response you got from the manager at the fuel stop. If the additive has helped, I would continue using it. I was not much for additives either until I got some poor quality fuel one time in my old '99, then did some research on this site and a few others on fuel and additives. Now I will go out of my way to get quality fuel, and the two best-rated additives I saw in a comparison were Stanadyne Performance fomula and John Deere. John Deere has a summer formula that seems to be mainly for lubricity with a small cetane increase, and a winter formula that has anti-gel agents along with the lubricity and cetane improvements. I have a John Deere dealership close by, so I use that, but either one will do. It would also help us when reading your posts for assistance if you would put your truck in your signature. Hope all works out well.
Thats a BIG Roger on putting in a description of your truck. I had no idea it was a 4x4. That can make a difference when trying to track down an unusual sound.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:59 PM

Sorry bout the lack of a signature guys. its fixed now. I was reading a post in the form about a noise that was described like mine. someone said it was an overflow valve or something and sounded kinda like a lifter rattling. I think they were talking about a 99 tho. wonder if the 03 has anything like that???
Old 03-16-2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by INsIdious
Sorry bout the lack of a signature guys. its fixed now. I was reading a post in the form about a noise that was described like mine. someone said it was an overflow valve or something and sounded kinda like a lifter rattling. I think they were talking about a 99 tho. wonder if the 03 has anything like that???
Don't know if this will make you feel any better. But, my 03 has a bit of a rattle under acceleration. It only does it when I climb on the throttle and not any other time. So, I just ignore it.

If yours is constant, may be a problem. If not?????
Old 03-21-2004, 05:55 AM

Check out the automatic transmission filler tube. Lots of guys have had that same rattle and it turned out the tube vibrates against the manifold.

The factory puts a tie wrap on it to hold it in place, check for it, if not there add one to keep it locked down.

Ron W.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:13 AM

Tech said your fuel filter was plugged up. Did he test fuel pressure? Your lift pump could be bad, this will damage injection pump. I would ask for the pressure to be checked. assuming this isn't an ad for additives
Old 03-21-2004, 11:54 AM

I dont think he tested pressure. Ill ask when i go in. And NO this isnt an plug for additives.
The only issue i have remaining with the truck is what sounds like a lifter rattling. doesnt do it all the time. mostly at cooler engine temps. But overall the truck is running great. Plenty of power. easy starts. smooth idle and good mileage 18.2. so i dont think i have any pump damage or fuel supply problems. The oil change does quiet the engine down some.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:59 PM

Went to the dealer today. They could hear the noise (lifter rattling) i have been hearing and admitted it didnt sound right. They tested the fuel pressure and such and said everything looked good. So all they said they could do was document it in case it becomes an issue later. They did 2 recalls, 1 for pcm connection and something to do with the transmission cooler line. Had a problem with the line leaking after they messed with it. took it back in and the seemed to have stopped the leak.
I told them about the tansmission hanging in 3rd on heavy acceleration. and they flashed the programming and adjusted the detent cable. Had to take it back for that as well. It would shift into 3rd under light acceleration at 15 mph. 4th at 20mph. So they put the detent cable setting back to its original setting. Truck now shifts perfectly. The mechanic was a smart tho. Told him about the early shifting after they worked on it. and he told me he drove the truck after he worked on it and there was nothing wrong with it. I asked him if he had time to take a ride with me and i would show him it shifts into 3rd by 15mph. He refused. and fortunatly for all concerned he decided to shut up and just put the cable back to where it was.
So after making two 70 mile round trips and 8 hours of time invested, the truck is shifting perfectly. I guess it could have been worse. I do hope their are no more recalls tho. they made a mess of my truck. atf fluid sprayed all over the engine compartment and drivetrain.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:54 PM

INsIdious,

What town was that dealer in? I don't think it is proper to mention dealer names in a bad way here. I went to the dealer in Norman and had a less than favorable experience. No help or even desire to help solve any issues (tsb's have since came out) and then parked the truck in the back lot buried in with many other vehicles parked about two feet apart. Truck was parked back there with all the old beater trade-ins. Atleast it was as clean as I left it, course if you don't fix anything it is a little hard to get it greasy

Gary
Old 03-23-2004, 10:12 PM

Sounds like a injecftor problem,the knock noise that is.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insidious, I always use fuel conditioner, and believe me I can tell when I miss putting it in. My Cummins seems addicted to the stuff

I have seen a number of times on TDR and here where guys were having problems with knocking, clattering, etc. and solved them with fuel conditioner.

Bad diesel doesn't "light off" as easily as good diesel. What happens is the injectors keep spraying in the fuel, and more builds up before it lights off, then goes "kaboom" all at once. That gives you the knock, rattle, etc. Obviously efficiency is reduced, and it creates more vibration and stress on the engine parts.

Ideal diesel combustion starts almost as soon as injection starts, and burns steadily and evenly during the entire event. Fuel additives make the diesel easier to ignite. . . sorta works the opposite of gasoline.

Vaughn
Old 03-24-2004, 08:41 AM

The dealership is located in Durant, OK. They were very focused on the engine noise issue. we listened to 2 other 03's and could not hear the noise in question. the 1 o4 we listened to did sound a lot differant than the 03's. I have heard this noise at times on many differant vehicles. and usually the cause was a sticking or misadjusted lifter. The dealer did isolate the noise to the general area of the front 2 cylinders.
I am now a firm believer in the fuel additives as it got rid of the loud low rpm knock i was having originally. and the truck does seem to get better fuel mileage with an additive.
The reflash on the transmission was great. It is shifting a lot more to my liking. Im gonna hook up the 5th wheel camper today and see how it does with a load. but i really dont expect a problem.
BTW the sales manager their who told me all the things i couldnt do to retain my warranty is no longer there. dunno why. but it seems to be something they dont want to discuss.
On a scale of 1-10 i would rate my expeiriance yesterday with the service dept as a 5.
Thnx for all the replies guys. i have found some very useful info here. A guy cannot go wrong by having access to so many people's expeiriance's and observations.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:58 PM

There have been some loose and bad injectors(both)that cause a KNOCK noise.