3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

So, Is Fuel Additive Necessary w/ ULSD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yes! I have seen the LSD #2 diesel gel up here in Texas. It's been a few years back but it got down to about 3*F and our trucks at work fired right up, well some didn't but it was a battery issue and some had to be jumped but they made it about 100-200 yards down the road and shut down. The shop foreman came in and told our boss to park those "dang" trucks that the fuel was gelling up, clogging the filters and he was tired of going out and thawing them out to get them back to the yard.

Tony
Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 PM

I was under the impression that "on-road" vehics use #1 diesel

#2 is for "off road" use only

#2 is red heating oil... what all my farm equip runs on...

I just didn't want 'Mark' ,who lives in Virginia, thinking he didn't need to use additives to keep from gelling ...he asked
Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by belgianmagic

I just didn't want 'Mark' ,who lives in Virginia, thinking he didn't need to use additives to keep from gelling ...he asked
On-road Diesels can run #1 or #2. #2 is not "off-road" use only.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:03 PM

Here in NH and Mass , it will cost you $250.00 a gallon for running #2 diesel on the road... yall are lucky there cause #2 cost a lot less
Old 02-24-2007, 03:04 PM

On-road vehicles use #2 also the off-road vehicles use the #2 with red dye added to determine off-road use, farm use for tax purpose. #1 does not have the lube quality as #2 and is more like kerosene which can be mixed with #2 in colder climates.

Tony
Old 02-24-2007, 03:07 PM

OK , I under stand... thanks for the explanation

that is what I was talking about Dyed, NON Taxed, Flip
Old 02-24-2007, 07:12 PM

Well , JUST MY OPINION... it gets a heck of a lot colder here in New England than it does in Texas....I could be wrong... HOWEVER ... The OWNER of my Business Link dealership froze up on the side of the road because, his fuel delivery company said " YOU DON'T NEED TO ADD ANYTHING TO THE FUEL...ITS ALREADY CONDITIONED"...

SO If you are in a warm climate zone do what you want... when ULSD gels it has the consistency of OJ PULP and you are NOT going to push that through any filter or pump...

JUST MY OPINION, PS hasn't been over 20* in a month...I ain't takin chances
That's part of my point. I don't live in New Englad, I live in Northern Alberta. Is it possible that they do a bit more conditioning for winter "up here"?(I'm not sure.) If it looks like -30 is on the way, my brother puts in IPPF polar power, or something similar, but other than that, nothing. He drives a Passat TDI, and has owned 4 CTD's, with no problems. Guys up here drive diesels all winter in the coldest of temps. I'm sure they use anti gel in the really cold -30 or below weather, but I have not heard of gelling problems because of ULSD specifically.(It is -20 outside here right now, and I wouldn't even have a thought about fuel gelling.)
Old 02-24-2007, 08:11 PM

It won't hurt to run additives if you want to for peace of mind. Just don't be concerned about ULSD being any worse than LSD. You guys deal with weather that I don't go to!!! That's why I live in south TEXAS. Have a good one.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don’t recall the exact scar wear number we could have with LSD so IIRC it was somewhere in the 400 range. IIRC the new ULSD is allowed to have a bigger one of 520 and yet I keep hearing it has as much or more lube then our old LSD did. If this is the case that it has more or better lube for our fuel system with the use of ULSD then why do they allow it to have a bigger scar wear if it is better? Once again if ULSD is better why allow it to scar up our fuel system with bigger wear scars? Oh I forgot it cost more $$$$$ to do it right.

IIRC the ULSD diesel that is now used in Europe can only have a scar wear of 460 and our fuel can have a bigger scar wear at 520, so the way I see it were are getting screwed! Also I have been told that Europe has cleaner fuel and a minimum Centane rating of 50 (BTW 50 is what Bosh thinks our fuel centane should be at) and as high as 60 Centane and yet ours is in the 40-42 range, so we get screwed once again from the EPA and big oil.

I keep hearing trust the EPA and big oil to do the right thing for us. I say prove that they can be trusted!