3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

So, Is Fuel Additive Necessary w/ ULSD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, Is Fuel Additive Necessary w/ ULSD?

Never ran any before (at least not consistently). My 2001 PowerStroke has 135,000 w/ no additives & nothing has done to fuel system (otehr than HPOP o-rings were replaced). I've been running my 2004.5 Cummins w/ no additives. Is the ULSD hard on the fuel system? Should fuel additive be used in increase lubricity or is fuel system OK as is? Not interested about claims of better MPG & the additive will 'pay for itself'. Every time I checked MPG with additive I never noticed a change - the only additive I ever used was PowerService Diesel Supplement - white bottle.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 AM

VERY MUCH SO... ULSD Doesn't just gel... as it starts to gel it has the consistency of orange juice pulp

AND adding K-1 doesn't do the trick...so stick with 'POWER SERVICE...thats what I have used since it was invented

we also add 2 CYCLE OIL TO THE FUEL 32 OZ TO A TANK... TO LUBE THE FUEL PUMPS...

good day
Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Do some searching........... It's personal choice.
I have not seen a shred of proof that ULSD doesn't have the same lubricity as the LSD did. If you like the added insurance of running additive go for it!!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM

additives

I have seen several people talk about 2 stroke oil in the tank. I have a buddy who is a service tech for DC and he says the 2 stroke oil will plug the cat quicker than you can shake your head. He says using Lucas or PS in the tank about every other oil change is good enough so that is what I do.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Well, I have never used an additive (not in my PSD), nor in this truck. It has always started right away without being plugged in, in the single digits.

Knock wood - she's been good to me so far.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by texsboy73
I have seen several people talk about 2 stroke oil in the tank. I have a buddy who is a service tech for DC and he says the 2 stroke oil will plug the cat quicker than you can shake your head. He says using Lucas or PS in the tank about every other oil change is good enough so that is what I do.

WHO HAS A CAT...MY CAT IS IN THE BARN CHASING MICE
Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cummins now has a LP for the older trucks that has seals that can take the ULSD - so they told me. I don't think they did that just for fun! I choose to pay as I go and not take the chance of being broken down and paying a lot, later. I use a full dose of treatment every tank. Craig
Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Thumbs up

I've been using Power Service & MMO for years, and just recently started using Howes Meaner Cleaner....Cheap insurance for expensive fuel systems!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Who has a cat. Mine fell off at about 10,000 mi?
Cheers
Mike
###
Old 02-24-2007, 12:00 PM

I like using a conditioner to help keep the injectors clean. I find my engine sounds smoother. However, my son is a chemical eng. tech working at a major refinery. They do add lubricity improvers to the diesel. As well, "up here" they thin out the diesel for winter. I think it would have to get VERY cold for gelling to happen. I use Power service, but my brother and son who drive all winter every day with their diesels only use MMO. They also run 0-40 engine oil. So far, so good! Never a gelling prob.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like to add silver PS at every fill-up for cheap insurance.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 PM

IIRC, ULSD can and will leave bigger scar wear on the fuel system then LSD could. So now why should I believe that ULSD can lube the fuel system as well as LSD could?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Oil companies face even stricter guidelines for lubricity with ULSD than they did with LSD. Running additives is strictly personal choice. I have an '06 TDI and an 06 3500 Cummins that has not had anything in it but ULSD and no problems. California has been running ULSD for years and have we heard about any problems? Changing to ULSD is comparitive to changing from leaded to unleaded gasoline. New fuel, new technology, better image of diesels by leading the way in creating the cleanest burning engine out there. This ULSD will lead the way to bring more and more diesel's to the public by being offered in cars. Europe has been running ULSD for years and 80% of cars sold there are diesels. It's about time we are offered what the rest of the world is offered in the way of diesel options.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Well , JUST MY OPINION... it gets a heck of a lot colder here in New England than it does in Texas....I could be wrong... HOWEVER ... The OWNER of my Business Link dealership froze up on the side of the road because, his fuel delivery company said " YOU DON'T NEED TO ADD ANYTHING TO THE FUEL...ITS ALREADY CONDITIONED"...

SO If you are in a warm climate zone do what you want... when ULSD gels it has the consistency of OJ PULP and you are NOT going to push that through any filter or pump...

JUST MY OPINION, PS hasn't been over 20* in a month...I ain't takin chances
Old 02-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Diesel will gel in extremely low temps no doubt. I was referring to the scar wear comment above. LSD will gell as well as ULSD. Lubricity is the question on everybodies mind with the ULSD but gel properties will be the same with all #2 diesel.

Quick Reply: So, Is Fuel Additive Necessary w/ ULSD?