3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Should I use any Fuel Additives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fleetguard has a little known fuel additive. I use Stanadyne as it seems to be the only one with OEM approvals, even if Cummins doesn't formally approve it.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fleetguard additive quite$$$. I use power service gray & mmo. Chicago in cold weather use power service white (anti gel) formula
Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM

I use stanadyne PF and primrose 405 summer and 409 winter.Both are good products IMHO.coobie
Old 03-06-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
You think STP will be any good? Theres another brand I cant think of the name, its sold at all Truck stops and Truck stores, Kenworth, Peterbilt.....etc Its a long clear bottle and says Injector cleaners, Know what im talkin about?

the one you are asking about is LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER ADDITIVE,

it is a great product to be used occationally........it does FOR A FACT CLEAN THE OLD STYLE INJECTORS.........I have referring to the injectors in the old 12-valve CTD.............I have used it for about 14 years..... I use it about twice per year or every 40K miles........I use it at 3X the recommened level and then follow with a treatment of M/D III ATF to lubricate the pump and inkjectors........This is only my experience and some will agree to disagree.....I may be doing it wrong...........but I have never had to replace any lift pumps, injector pumps, or injectors and I usually run my trucks to 250K miles and trade'em..............good luck
Old 03-06-2006, 09:57 PM

I've tried Power Service, both kinds. Never saw ANY difference at all, empty, towing, cold weather,etc. So, now I don't use any.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by riata_ag
the one you are asking about is LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER ADDITIVE,
correct, so it seems like it wont do much good for a brand new truck and it makes a bigger difference for the older ones. So ill pass on that one.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
Which one?

Howes Meaner Power Klean

or

Diesel Treat
Howes Diesel Conditioner Plus Anti-Gel
Both, I run both.

Its hard to find MMO here, although I see Canadian Tire has started carrying it, but I have never actually seen any in stock. Unfortunatly walmart (canada) does not carry MMO or PS.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 PM

Diesel Treat
Howes Diesel Conditioner Plus Anti-Gel

this is the one ya want
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 AM

I run a Lucas/Powerservice mix. The Lucas is the first additive I've tried that actually changes the "feel" of the engine....smoother/quieter
Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 AM

Maybe its the area I'm in but Lucas seems to be the big one around here
Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 PM

FWIW, i use 16oz silver bottle of power service and 8oz MMO....is this too much?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:28 PM

OK, some of the opinions posted on here about using ATF got me to doing some research.........and yes I learned to use ATF from my grandfather who would be considered an "old timer".............................

It seems as though ATF has been and is continuing to be re-formulated by some of the companies on a quarterly basis..................some of the additive being used make it less than desirable for pump and injector lubricity..........

I just ordered a case of LUBRICITY PLUS..........which is manufactured by Hydrotex...........from this company it should be a quality product.......

running it in large on-road engines has been reported to lower pyrometer readings considerably........................

1 gallon of LP is supposed to treat 10,000 gallons...................I am going to mix it at 1 gallon per 5,000 gallons and still run the lucas injector cleaner twice per year..........................

I will post later as to my experience with the Lubricity Plus product.......
Old 03-09-2006, 02:43 PM

For what ever its worth Valvoline has a diesel fuel cleaner that is endorsed by Cummins. Not sure how good it is or if Cummins is just selling out its name.

Here is the link:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=97

-Troy
Old 03-10-2006, 10:02 AM

I've been using Stanadyne Performance for 12 years now and it's the best additive out there. I've tried the Diesel Kleen and could see no results. Truck runs much quietier and milage is really good(18-22mpg on the highway) and much better acceleration.
Chip
Old 03-10-2006, 10:43 AM

Moterhead,

If you didn't notice any difference, it's probably because you are using a quality diesel fuel with the proper amount of cetane your engine requires.

Once the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel hits your area, you may want to consider using an additive if only for the added lubricity to protect your HPCR & injectors.

Joe F.(Buffalo)

Quick Reply: Should I use any Fuel Additives?