3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Secondary Fuel Filtration

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Secondary Fuel Filtration

Since our trucks now use the same HPCR system as the Dmax, shouldn't we be concerned about the stock filtration system?

Has anyone done a fuel cleanliness analysis yet on the output of the filter?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw that you used to be over on TDP when I was researching diesels and which truck to buy. Guess what I went with? But I thought about the same thing, too. Now, I have no mechanical certification to back anything up, but common sense tells me that these injectors are larger due to larger jug size and fewer jugs, and therefore not as prone to minute contaminates in the fuel as the injectors used on the DMAX. I also think that DC/Cummins were watching GM and what was happening to the DMAX injectors when spec-ing out the new fuel system for the 3rd Gen Cummins. It seems they had a couple of years to tinker while watching the DMAX problems. That makes sense to me, but it is only my opinion.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by kry226
I saw that you used to be over on TDP when I was researching diesels and which truck to buy. Guess what I went with? But I thought about the same thing, too. Now, I have no mechanical certification to back anything up, but common sense tells me that these injectors are larger due to larger jug size and fewer jugs, and therefore not as prone to minute contaminates in the fuel as the injectors used on the DMAX. I also think that DC/Cummins were watching GM and what was happening to the DMAX injectors when spec-ing out the new fuel system for the 3rd Gen Cummins. It seems they had a couple of years to tinker while watching the DMAX problems. That makes sense to me, but it is only my opinion.
I don't have anything to go by either but it's not that easy to assume the nozzles have larger orifices and even if they do they will last significantly longer. Remember they now an control duration and number of shots so nozzle size may not be a big change if any.

My concern is diesel fuel sludge buildup in the solenoid area as some have reported in the Dmax, causing stuck open condition. A secondary filter may be a goos idea but first I need to do a sample on the outgoing fuel.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:23 AM

I think it's going to be just like with the DMAX. We're just going to have to wait to see if injector failures becomes a common problem first. My hunch is that we will not see the same level of failures. I really think Cummins has a lot riding on their partnership with DC and has put forth the R&D to ensure we have a reliable fuel system.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by kry226
I really think Cummins has a lot riding on their partnership with DC and has put forth the R&D to ensure we have a reliable fuel system.

We all said the same about the Dmax.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hoot
But when has a chevy diesel ever been good, isuzu or not?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Lightman
But when has a chevy diesel ever been good, isuzu or not?
So what's your opinion on Dodge using the same injection system as is used on the GM/ISUZU?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:14 AM

My opinion is that we'll have to wait and see how they work out. Increasing injection pressure makes a system more vulnerable to damage/wear from excessive particulate matter in fuel. I agree that secondary fuel filtration would not be a bad idea - IF, it doesn't cause too much restriction/drag on the fuel system. I installed a secondary 'polishing' filter on my TDI , a stanadyne FM100 2 micron unit, and it worked great. Fuel analysis after the filter showed improvement in particulate reduction, however as I've stated in other threads- all of these filters are pretty worthless at water removal, despite their claims.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by hoot
True, but the Dmax was the guinea pig for HPCR, and I truly believe (maybe I'm wrong) that DC/Cummins was watching the issue and made enhancements before they had a chance to become problems. Now if we start seeing common failures, we'll know I was wrong.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am actively looking for a 2-micron supplemental fuel filter arrangement. I emailed Kennedy diesel (they make a 2-micron kit for DMax guys). They don't currently have one specifically for the Dodge's. I have toyed with ideas for a few different configurations, but have not committed to anything yet. Amsoil carries Dahl filters, which go as low as 2-microns. The trick is, if you're going that low you've got to install a secondary pusher pump, because I don't think the stock lift pump will handle the restriction. Then the question is, do you mount the secondary filter before or after the stocker? Traditional filter engineering says you gradually step up in filtration (factory filter is 10 microns, so a 2 micron would go after the factory). But, a pre-factory installation on the frame rail between the tank and filter canister would be much simpler.

Like I said, I've been researching for some time, but have not yet decided on anything.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:25 AM

I had a Racor R90S 2 micron filter in series with the stock Duramax filter on my GMC. They don't even have a secondary lift pump but rely on the high pressure pumps first stage gear rotor pump to suck through both filters.

I had like 50,000 miles on that setup with no fueling issues, no trapped air and no no-starts.

It might be better to put the 2 micron after the stock Cummins filter setup. That way the electric lift pump doesn't really "see" it. That's what I'm looking into shortly.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:53 PM

2 micron filters etc are called 'polishing' or 'final' filters, and are designed to be run after the stock filter. It only makes sense for longevity - let the stocker catch the bigger particles, and let the polishing filter get the small ones. Then you're not clogging up the small one so quickly.

Be sure to check flow restriction/flow rates and dont create too much drag on your pump without a pusher.

Grey rider - take a hard look at what racor sells, as well as stanadyne. CAT also has some cool polishing filter setups that feature 2 micron absolute filters with cheap replacement elements. Some guys run them on TDI's.