3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Schedule A or Schedule B?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schedule A or Schedule B?

Where / What is the definition of the 2 schedules?
Old 04-29-2003, 09:25 AM

Re:Schedule A or Schedule B?

Information is on pages 344/345 in your Owner’s Manual.

Schedule “B” is for vehicles that are operated under any of the following conditions:

• Day or night temperatures below 0° C (32° F).
• Stop and go driving.
• Extensive engine idling.
• Driving in dusty conditions.
• Short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles).
• More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 32° C (90° F).
• Trailer towing.
• Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service).
• Off-road or desert operation.

Note that most vehicles are operated under the conditions listed under Schedule “B”. Schedule "A" is for vehicles that are not operated under any of the conditions listed above.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:54 AM

A is for advertising purposes, aint hardly a truck that could qualify. B is the true interval.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:09 PM

And of course they convieniently make the Maintainence log confusing as all gitout ??? and I always think I'm behind on oil changes. Then the dealer puts the damned 3k mile sticker on, so I always change it to 5k and go with that... 8)
Old 04-29-2003, 01:44 PM

Scedule A applies to any vehicle which is not driven.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:20 PM

Most trucks are driven on A or B schedule depending on the time of the year and your activities. If you pull a boat to the lake once a year, I don't think all of your maintenance should be done on the B schedule. <br><br>Something else I have wondered? Most other aplications of this motor have a 10K to 20K service intraval for much harder work. Why would Dodge have the lightest aplication and the shortest service intraval?? This motor is has been in Case farm tractors and dozers for years. That is the hardest working and dustiests aplication possible. They put a 200 to 250 hour service inrtaval on many of these tractors regardless of the use. <br><br>I have considered a set &quot;gallons of fuel&quot; intraval. If you changed oil at 400 gallons of fuel it would adjust your miles according to your load and idle time. The only thing this would not adjust for is short trips. I believe if you make repeated short trips ( 3 miles to work and back) every day the Cummins may not be right for your aplication.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Posm link=board=20;threadid=14164;start=0#133307 date=1051651260]<br>I have considered a set &quot;gallons of fuel&quot; intraval. If you changed oil at 400 gallons of fuel it would adjust your miles according to your load and idle time. The only thing this would not adjust for is short trips. I believe if you make repeated short trips ( 3 miles to work and back) every day the Cummins may not be right for your aplication.<br>[/quote]<br><br>How about an &quot;hours of operation&quot; schedule.<br>Diesel generators are serviced based on this, probably bulldozers and such that don't really drive &quot;miles&quot;.<br><br>Our trucks have an hour meter, why not put it to good use?<br><br>What would be a good hour interval for oil changes, tranny service, etc?<br><br><br>phox
Old 04-29-2003, 04:58 PM

The hour schedule would be better than the miles schedule, but would not adjust up or down depending on how hard you worked it. Genarators and Tractors use the hour schedule because they run at a more consistent RPM with a steady load. Our trucks spend their entire lives going from no load to full load and back again every time they hit a hill or take off.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:21 AM

Somebody on this forum suggested a schedule based on gallons of fuel a few months ago. Best idea I've heard so far.

If you use your truck outside, you do not qualify for schedule &quot;A&quot;. :