3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Salesman just won't quit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my 5 speed DEFINANTLY ! I like to shift. I'm a truck driver anyway and it just fits me. BUT If you were me and i was you, Tell the salesman to put in all the mods you want in that new truck or NO DEAL! Cause it wont be worth it for you to upgrade just that much. Its not even an upgrade really. Also consider, is the truck you have now a good one, remember some of the trucks have glitches, Does yours? If it does then get another one, If it dosnt, Keep your Tractor ! Happy Truckin!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:02 PM

Heres a different outlook on the stick auto debate. Driving a 6 spd in traffic isnt bad at all. Where it really sucks is that they are slow to accelerate making jumping across lanes a real pita. I am usually in 5th gear by 35 MPH with 3.73 gears. If you are just doing stop and go the 6 spd is fine. Crossing lanes of traffic and merging from side streets are the killers. For the 4x4 question. Thats easy. 4x4 all the way. It is worth the extra cost when you go to sell it and you arnt stuck waiting for a guy to buy it! 4x4s sell faster for the most part. I had a 79 chevy 2wd auto beater for a toy. After driving it for a week I was gathering parts for a stick conversion. Other than that one almost every vehicle I have owned was a 4x4 stick. Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
ed

I had a 96 5 speed and never had a problem needing a 4 x 4, but I got 4 x 4 with my 2003 and have had several occasions that I would have had to call a wrecker to pull me out if I had not had 4 x 4. One time was near the Rio Frio River and was almost on level ground but in a lot of loose round stones, it just spun the wheels in 2 wheel drive, but drove right out in 4 x 4. I also love the 48re, for town and towing.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:24 PM

I have had alot of troubles with dodge autos so I have a 6 spd. You do have to shift alot in town but I tend to skip a few gears.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:11 PM

Personally if it were me I would not be looking to trade in so early. You probably havent even gotten 2 years of use out of your 03 yet. I mean,, do you really NEED that 05 more than your 03? Just remember, that dealer needs you alot more than you need that dealer. They need to make a sale and they seen you with a little bit of intrest in your eyes, so they are going to keep pounding you untill you either buy the 05, or tell them to edited by admin off. But it is your hard earned money after all.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-06-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: by-pass word filter
Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ackc506-
Well, here is the deal. I bought this truck used a year and half ago, was the first diesel I ever owned. Really love the truck so much, would never go back to a gasser. The long term plan here is this. In 2 years, I plan on retiring from my job. At that time, the current truck would be way out of warranty and fairly high mileage. My plan is to have a "new" (less than 2yrs old) truck sitting in my driveway and paid for at retirement time, one with still some warranty and alot of life left in it.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Chapter President

Sounds Familiar

"Since then, they have called me about twice a month to get me to come back and they can do better."

It must be an All American policy, I looked at an 06 while my truck was in for an oil change. Of course it took them awhile and three tiers of sales management to whittle the price difference down to just "not there yet" instead of the original emotion to just laugh at them and leave. They told me the whole sale of my truck and offered less than that. So for half of the week before Christmas I got a call from the first salesman, like clock work. Still haven't given in to them. Talked to Benny Boyd they at least gave me a no B.S. price. Still haven't given in.
After reading your other thread about how some people get lemons, I am going to avoid San Angelo.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:43 PM

The wife and I had a joker call us for the past three weeks also. Went into a local Acura Dealer on I-5 to "LOOK" at New TL's for the wife. I made sure I told the salesman of this also, we were here to "LOOK". After the test drive the salesman immediately wanted us to trade in the wife's Audi A4 sight unseen and put us in a car we definately were not going to buy right then. I then after 20 minutes of explaining why I will sell out privately, literally had to get loud with the guy and told him if I were to get rid of the car I'd sell it out right, not trade it in for a huge loss. He then trird to tell me I could not get more for the car in the private market than he was going to provide.(adding to my fire) He then said he could offer $15,000 and continued to insist that he could make us a sweet deal for the trade (yeah right). As usual the price he gave for the vehicle came no where near the price I had come up with through Costco's buyers plan. Before you knew it the sales manager was trying to calm me down, because for some reason the idiot salesman did'nt get I was not buying today or trading in the wifes car for $15,000 when Blue book is $18,000-20,000. I then called Costco and informed them of the shady sales tactics one of their listed dealers was trying to pull. I got a letter back 5 days later from the NW Regional Manager stating that they had numerous complaints about that dealership and have since then been removed from their list of authorized.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Check your PM's
Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a lot of in town stop and go driving and ocasional towing , I would not even consider a six speed unless you are pulling often and heavy.That is just my preferance as I commute in heavy traffic all the time and find the auto much more responsive.
As for 4x4...well I have a long box 2wd and it drives and handles much nicer than a 4x4...HOWEVER...it is a chore in the winter without a bunch of weight in the back and snow tires. As others have said...resale suffers as most want 4x4.
2wd has a lot less front end problems, drives nicer and cheaper to maintain...but it definately has it's limitation.
It is too bad you cannot get IFS 4x4 like GM has.
Not as robust I guess, but probably better overall for the average 4x4 user.
I absolutely did not want a solid axle front end..to each his own tho.
Cheers