3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Salesman just won't quit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Salesman just won't quit

Went and drove a megacab a couple of months ago just for kicks and grins. Salesman would not leave me alone until I agreed to let them look at my truck and give me a price on a trade. After they came back with their "deal of the day", and once I quit laughing, I left.

Since then, they have called me about twice a month to get me to come back and they can do better.

Last night, they called and said they have 7 '05's (standard club cab) left and need to move them for $$ thousands off, which means they can apply $$ thousands more to my trade.

Foolishly enough, I am going back tomorrow. My question is: I currently have the 48re auto. I am considering a stick this time. My driving consists of mostly in town and pulling a travel trailer once or twice a month on the road. Should I go for an auto again or would I be sorry I chose a stick with this kind of driving? Also, mine right now is 4x4 and I have had no occasion to need it. Considering a 2wd if it would mean a trade to keep my payments where they are now.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 PM

Never give an inch or they will take a mile!! You want your truck with a 6spd! OR NO DEAL!!

Rick
Old 01-03-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about the rhino lining and bed rails? remember 2wd resale is alot less than 4wd. i got the 6 spd, but i miss the auto in town.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:04 AM

4x4===== Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree on getting another 4x4. Whether you need it or not is irrelevant..>LOL. They LOOK SO MUCH BETTER. And whatever the cost difference is between the 4x2 and 4x4, you will get it back at resale later. Plus, if you should ever need it......there it is. If you ever get on some sand or wet grass while pulling your trailer, you will be glad you got the 4x4.

If most of your driving is in town, I would say get another auto tranny.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:45 AM

If you have to question yourself about the auto then it is not the right trans for you. Go for the 6 spd.
I'd say horse bunk on the 4x4. If you don't need it don't get it. Save some $$ when purchasing and down the road save $$ less maintenance, better fuel economy, less noise. I don't purcase vehicles with equipment that get better money on trade. I buy what I want for the application I need. Best of luck with your dealings. Hold your ground.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:53 AM

I recently purchased an '05 with the 6 speed (G56) as I am not much for automatics myself. Love the tranny other than the fact that cruising speed at 70 puts the RPMs at close to 2300, I find this very disappointing. Unfortunately there are no options for differentials as there were for my '02. I am now patiently waiting for US Gear to come out with their overdrive unit to make my truck more highway friendly. I thouhgt it is something you should be aware of.
mishkaya
Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 AM

I just went through a similar dilemna with my purchase after having standard transmissions my entire life but I hated driving to work in traffic...and wondered whether I should get automatic this time or another manual shift.

I bought the automatic...and love it. Yes I dont have the control I did with manual and my brakes will wear a little faster but nothing more tiring than shifting constantly in and out of 1st gear and 2nd gear for an hour in Wash DC traffic or even here in Charleston....both of which I have done. I only tow a couple times a month on average but use 4wheeldrive all the time as I hunt and camp quite a bit....so it was worth the cost and loss of speed/torgue control to get the auto. In another year I may change my mind but I love it.

Do what you feel is best for you....as all of us are too opinionated to give you the answer you need...LOL
Old 01-04-2006, 08:34 AM

I have had both auto's and 6 sp's,if you haul a lot and are on the open road much of the time(over 50% of driving) the 6spd with a jake brake is the way to go.If you are in city traffic most off the time and not hauling then I would go for the auto, the 6spd gets old in the city traffic. As for 4x4 I agree with the previous reply,if you don't have the use for 4x4 then don't waste the money to buy it,before I moved to Florida I spent 20 years hauling show cattle and horses across the US and Canada all winter long, in and out of snowy and muddy yards and through more snow storms that I care to remember with a 2wd with out getting stuck.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:25 AM

I agree with Sherman 100% If NOT towing a lot on open road the G56 is a lot of rpm's and intown yuk.if no need for 4x4 the 2wd is better on fuel and just plain drives and tows better.The 48re is proven the G56 is not.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:49 AM

We personally sell alot more Automatics than 6 speeds both have proven here to hold up well!
depending on the weight you will pull, personally for driving in town & pulling once or twice a month you will be more satisfied with the auto transmission I think..especially If you currently have one! 4x2 or 4x4 diesel both have a great trade in value...you'll pay $3000.00 more for a 4x4 up front so you can expect atleat that later on trade-in value!
Joe
Old 01-04-2006, 10:27 AM

My question is why are you trading an '03 for an '05? There is not that much difference between the two to justify the hit you will take on depreceation. It is your money but my thought is to keep the truck you have if it does all you want it to.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:32 PM

What dealer in San Angelo are you talking too? I was born there and frequently go back to visit my grandparents. After driving in that town and the way most of the others drive, your leg would fall off from shifting before you drove 10mi. From my experience from driving in and around San Angelo I would much rather have an auto.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM

PanteraGSTK-
Thats just funny as can be...... You do know San Angelo for a fact ........LMAO.

Just in the talking stage with All American Jeep/Dodge. Way far from being on the same page though, and yes, I do value my leg because of these drivers here, so have made up my mind on an auto again.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 PM

Rick,
I just bought my 05 this weekend. If you can get an 05 for invoice or below AND you get the rebates I would go for it. I like my 6 speed but for in town it is a mess. The g56 has very close gears, my normal shift pattern unloaded is 3 gears, 2nd 4th, 6th. If I am needing a little more off the line, I go 2nd 3rd 5th 6th, not to mention all this happens before 50 mph and I have 3.73 gears! If you could get an 05 with a nv5600 that would be sweet. I could not find one myself, but maybe in texas you would have better luck. Oh, one more thing, get ready to drink some extra fuel to break this new one in.

Jason

Quick Reply: Salesman just won't quit