3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rough Idle and White Smoke on Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a TSB that may solve these problems. The dealer will re-flash the ECM with updated software. It should give you 1 Mpg improvement and help reduce smoke on cold starts.
Ask your dealer about TSB 18-037-04

It applies to dodge trucks 2004 and 2005 with engine serial numbers from 57130285 to
57246361 (those Cummins fella's must make a LOT of motors!) and engine date of manufacture from 12/10/2003 to 8/17/2004.

Use the link below to read it yourself. (I havent had this mod done yet so I'm not sure if it will make a difference. I could care less if it smokes but better fuel economy is desperately needed in the $4.00 a gallon world we now live).

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-037-04.htm
Old 08-31-2005, 08:02 PM

Yes, lots of motors. Over 1 million in Dodge trucks alone. Then there's marine, RV, power generation, and off road engines.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:10 PM

I have a buddy that has a 2004 with aprox. 14,000 miles on it. He normaly runs BP/Amaco-47 cetane fuel in it, the other day he put Exxon 40 cetane in it and the truck was running so rough the doors looked like they were about to fall off. We went and picked up a bottle of AMSOIL cetane booster dumped 4.5-5ozs. in the tank truck smoothed out and hasn't missed a beat. Also not sure how may people are aware that you can enable a high idle feature on these new 600's that will allow you to turn your c/c on and increase your rpm's up to 1,500 while sitting still.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Dorkweed
My truck started this about 5,000 miles ago and I have 24,000 miles on her now. The more humid it is in the morning when I start her the more white smoke. Some days the rough idle is worse than others. As soon as I touch the go pedal the smoke and rough idle are gone. I tow my work trailer all week, so my truck maybe gets worked more than the guys trucks here who don't tow. Strange thing here however. My truck is getting great mileage even with the white smoke/rough idle. Last tank got me just over 19mpg with about a 50/50 of suburban towing and highway empty. Hand calculated!!

If the injectors are the cause of these two problems by leaking into the cylinders when the truck is shut down, wouldn't an oil analysis be able to show this??? I've never had one done, but am going to get one done on my next oil change. My present oil is black/normal and does not smell like diesel. There have been a lot of great theories expressed here and I just wish we could nail this thing down. How about it you all, will an oil analysis prove the leaking injector theory????

Dorkweed,
I have the same symptoms and I as you though if I had a leaky injector that an oil analysis would prove or disprove that theory. I had a anaylsis done by blackstone and it came back looking great with no fuel in the oil. At this point I think its a matter of carbon build up on the injectors and possibly plugging up the holes causing irregular spray patterns. I did a long trip to california 15+ hrs using two bottles of delo fuel injector cleaner two weeks ago. When I got back in town I had a good solid week of no smoke at startup, then 1 week later , smike was back. I think I need something stronger.......
Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by nebuniRAM
Dorkweed,
I have the same symptoms and I as you though if I had a leaky injector that an oil analysis would prove or disprove that theory. I had a anaylsis done by blackstone and it came back looking great with no fuel in the oil. At this point I think its a matter of carbon build up on the injectors and possibly plugging up the holes causing irregular spray patterns. I did a long trip to california 15+ hrs using two bottles of delo fuel injector cleaner two weeks ago. When I got back in town I had a good solid week of no smoke at startup, then 1 week later , smike was back. I think I need something stronger.......

Hmmm.... very intresting about the oil anaylsis. Maybe I should do the same. How is this done?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Wow, I made sense enough for someone to quote me!!!! I just sent out an oil sample this past Monday. The last time I was visiting the folks, I stopped by the Cummins place in Hodgkins, IL and picked up a sample kit. Changed the oil on Saturday and sent it out on Monday. Funny thing has happened however: For about the last 2 weeks the white smoke/rough idle on start up has almost disappeared completely. I've done nothing different at all. Same routine/driving habits etc. The only change has maybe been the weather. It's not quite as hot as it was and not near a humid either. I'm thinking that some of this problem may be due to atmospheric conditions coupled with a cold engine. When my truck was doing this; as soon as I gave her throttle, 95% of this went away. I don't do a prolonged engine warm up either....maybe 10-15 seconds before I start her moving. What do you all think???? I'll let you all know what my oil analysis says when I get the results.