3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rough Idle and White Smoke on Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough Idle and White Smoke on Start

Lately when I start my rig in the morning (or after an extended sit) I'll see a huge plume of white smoke and sit through a rought idle for a minute. It seems to go away after a block or so ... is this something I should be worried about?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:24 AM

Mine does the same thing. Its sits all week while i drive the commuter and on saturday when i start her up white smoke for a couple of puffs. Mercedes diesel mechanic says the things to look for are of course rise in oil level or consistantly rough idling all the time and LOUD knocking. He says it could be condensation or unburnt fuel causing the smoke. I was worried aswell, sometimes I read these posts too much. It's a DIESEL!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:27 AM

YOU NEED TO RUN SOME FUEL ADDITIVE! SCHAEFFERS IS GOOD STUFF #192 NEUTRA PLUS
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM

Mine does the exact same thing. It smokes after sitting for roughly 8 hours or more and being started cold and runs rough while doing this. It can sometimes smoke for 10sec. and sometimes upwards of 1min or more. I do keep an eye on my oil level and it appears ok. I also religiously run PS Diesel Kleen in every tank. I am suspicious that one or more injectors may be leaking down while sitting but am just keeping an eye on it for now as there is still lots of warranty left. I also agree that it is a diesel and maybe I am just be too paranoid. If mine gets any worse I will look at taking it in at that time. Mileage right now is OK (17-18mpg unloaded 50-50 city/highway & 12-13mpg towing my trailer through mountain passes)and power seems to be alright.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by CRXsi
Mine does the exact same thing. It smokes after sitting for roughly 8 hours or more and being started cold and runs rough while doing this. It can sometimes smoke for 10sec. and sometimes upwards of 1min or more. I do keep an eye on my oil level and it appears ok. I also religiously run PS Diesel Kleen in every tank. I am suspicious that one or more injectors may be leaking down while sitting but am just keeping an eye on it for now as there is still lots of warranty left. I also agree that it is a diesel and maybe I am just be too paranoid. If mine gets any worse I will look at taking it in at that time. Mileage right now is OK (17-18mpg unloaded 50-50 city/highway & 12-13mpg towing my trailer through mountain passes)and power seems to be alright.
Yep, sounds like we have the same issue. I've also noticed that the idle is rough even when it's warm ... I thought I was just being super paranoid until a coworker asked me what was wrong with it today. I guess its time to have those little nagging warrenty items taken care of along with this. I always run some form of additive as well .., most of the time its PowerService, but I've also been using between B5 and B40 lately ... maybe I'll run this tank through before I take it in.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I forgot to add that mine is if it is warm outside not just cold, It will do it when the truck has sat and outside temp is 85°. Let me know what they discover on yours when you take it in.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Hey guys mine does it too! And no I don't think it is normal.

Took mine in today for a check. They did a bleed down check on the injectors. Checked out okay. However it will be going back next week for an overnight stay. Dealer said he has heard of this problem before. However the ones he saw knocked as well! This would be because there is fuel in the cylinder that is being compressed. Or trying to be compressed! This would be a much more severe leak than what I have.

Hopefully the overnight test will show that one or more injectors is leaking. Others on this site have had the same problem and was fixed by replacing injectors. Time will tell..
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Sound like an injector. I had #6 go out after 12k miles. IT would smoke and run rough on startup after sitting overnight. I can't remember if the delaer just did the injector kill test or if they had to remove the exhaust manifold to see which one was smoking on startup. Good luck with the dealer.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:14 PM

I have the same issue with my 05 I just got mine back from the dealer they had it 10 days and replaced 1 injector. brought it home and the next morning have the same problem so it is going back to the dealer.

They said I am idling too much and thats causing the problems. Although thet couldnt tell me what too much idling is. when I pressed them on it he told me what they are being told by STAR.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by brk300
I have the same issue with my 05 I just got mine back from the dealer they had it 10 days and replaced 1 injector. brought it home and the next morning have the same problem so it is going back to the dealer.

They said I am idling too much and thats causing the problems. Although thet couldnt tell me what too much idling is. when I pressed them on it he told me what they are being told by STAR.
Personally, any idling other than for turbo cool down or sitting in traffic should be avoided. Do not idle it to warm it up. Now, with that said, DC is basically trying to blame all injector failures on "excessive idle time." It's kind of like a canned response from STAR. They answer the phone, hear "bad injector" and immeadiately respond with "excessive idle time."

Make sure you cahnge your fuel filter at least as often as what is stated in the manual to avoid warranty hassels. A lot of people seem to change them earlier. I try not to go more than 10k myself because it is so easy to do. You might also want to consider running a fuel additive like Stanadyne, Power Service, PS/MMO, or Redline. Running fuel conditioners did not prevent my injector from failing, but I think it does inprove lubricity and help to keep things cleaner.

Good luck
Old 08-03-2005, 05:38 PM

My truck started doing the same thing at around 16,000 miles. I had been using Stanadyne off and on since new. Filled the tank up and poured in 1 guart of Dextron ATF. Now at 18,432 miles it hasn't smoked since.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:13 PM

Ok guys here is my problem. My truck has been doing the same for a long time.I have replaced the injectors all of them same problem.
So here goes I have corrected the problem almost. The deisel heads need to let me know what tells or what sensor tells the computer to change to cold start timing. I found i can bypass grid heaters i put a spring to off toggle switch in to control a seloinoid to make my heaters come on I do this at cold start up for maybe 15 - 20 seconds no smoke no missing starts and runs perfect i even have to do this at high 80s and 90s.
The best i can tell the cold start timing is simply not working on the vp. I have been afraid to post cause people will talk me into putting on a reman. I have been runing this settup almost a year now. Just dont leave them on to long.
Gary
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info Ram

I have 9K on it now and other then letting it idle for a few minutes if its been running hard towing I dont let it idle much. I do run some PS through it every other tank. and change the oil every 3K

I have noticed lately that besides the smoke at start it will also blow a milky cloud often when I have to get on it a little to pass or merge into trafic. Its going back this weekend to the dealer.

Last time they gave me a Kia Rio as a loaner. Talk about scary.. try going from a 2500 CTD to a little 50 HP speck
Old 08-06-2005, 10:48 AM

ugh...

Well here is another puzzling question. If my truck sits in the garage for 3 days it won't smoke at all when it starts! But if it sits overnight it smokes and idles rough at start up for about a minute! Whats with that? One thought I had is the injector leaks but then the diesel finally seeps past the piston into the crankcase. But this doesn't make total sense. Any ideas? Going back to the dealer on Monday.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:23 AM

I had this problem yesterday. I was unloaded on the interstate for about 2 hours at 70mph and pulled into a rest stop and shut it off after about 1 mins I shoulda let it cool down a bit...

Anyway, I came back out and it was a little hard to start and then it idled really ruff, still at about 700rpms instead of the usual 750 or so but I could just feel it in the cab so much more. I drove another hour to a toll and it was fine and still fine. I usually run fuel adds but this time I filled up at a Sunoco with no adds (never done that before) and that's the only difference.

I do get a little white smoke sometimes on start-up. I don't think the mileage/smoke flash is avail for 03's? is it?

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and White Smoke on Start