3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

researching 2 stroke oil as a fuel lubricant addative

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
researching 2 stroke oil as a fuel lubricant additive

I spent most of the day yeseterday doing research on using 2 cycle oil as a fuel additive in in our trucks and have found a few things out but mostly have some still pending questions that I havent recieved responses to. I sent this question to Cummins :

I have an 06 dodge pickup with your fine 5.9 diesel engine and have been reading lately about lots of people all over the country adding ashless petroleum based 2 cycle oil to thier fuel in the amount of 1 ounce per gallon with very surprising results. most all have been experiencing quieter, smoother running engines, and sizeable fuel mileage increases ,some as much as 2 miles per gallon. I dont expect you to fully indorse its use but rather to let me know your feelings about its use and if in your opinion damage could result and what the possible damage might be. thanks very much for your time.

I have also been on the phone trying to find out what chemicals are in most 2 stroke oils and have also tried to find out about walmarts "supertech" since I have read here that many of you are using it. after talking with walmarts corporate office I was told that penzoil /quakerstate/shell (which is all one company) makes supertech so I gave that company a call trying to find out if this oil was petroleum based or a synthetic/petroleum blend, if its ashless and what chemicals or possibly harmful solvents (possibly used as thinners)might be in it . (smell it and you will know why I'm concerned). Once I got a live human being on the phone at quake/zoil I was told that they were making supertech but lost the contract to another company 2 years ago. they told me to call "Warren Oil "and even gave me the number and said that warren oil currently had the contract to produce walmarts "supertech" 2 cycle products. I then called warren and was imediately told that they do not produce any products for walmart. at this point I called walmart corporate again and explained the run around I had been through and they took all my personal information down and made a copy of my questions and sent it to walmarts marketing & purchasing department and I was told they will get back to me with answers within 2 business days. I will post exactly what I hear from walmart regarding who manufatures supertech and will also post exactly what I can find out about whats in 2 stroke oils and will also post what cummins has to say about adding 2 stroke oil as a fuel addative as soon as the info gets back to me. just to much time on my hands
Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Warren?? I thought it was Wolf Oils.
http://www.wolfoil.com/update/docume...aal/1912ne.pdf

MikeyB
Old 08-01-2007, 01:11 PM

where does that say anything about super tech?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:04 PM

Why don't you just use diesel fuel additive? It's actually meant to be used in diesel engines!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil should be the source for the Supertech as of earlier this year.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:59 PM

this was cummins weak actual response to my question about using 2 stroke oil in the fuel...

fuel or oil additives are not necessary on the 24-valve engine,
provided factory recommended oil and fuel specifications are followed.
Consult your owner's manual for proper guidelines.

We sell the ISBs to Dodge with no warranty and Dodge takes sole
proprietorship of the warranty. Knowing this, before you add anything to your
fuel, check with your Dodge Warranty Administrator. they wer no help at all probably because they dont want to be held liable for anything...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 PM

http://www.ca40g.com/home.php?xid=35...f46b6bdc207c32

Try this .... CA 40 See link.

I have just started to use it. No results yet. To soon to tell but my MPG is up best tank to date. After 3-4 tanks I will know more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJAKX4JB5kc
Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 AM

I was using 2 stroke oil but stopped. I believe it was clogging my injectors. I would use Howes Meaner Kleaner full strength to clean the injectors and everything would be fine, then after a few tanks using 2 stroke (Wally World 2 stroke) it starting running bad again, I would give it another cleaning with Howes and it ran good again, back to 2 stroke and running like crap again. Maybe it was bad fuel, maybe just me, but it's the only thing I could figure so never again, I'll stay with the best product out there, made for diesel use only.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:09 AM

Thumbs up

Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. I just bought a gallon at Advanced Auto Parts for $23.95. That treats 400 gallons. It works out to just under 6 cents a gallon to add. I use it as a lubricant, not specifically for any added MPG.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 AM

Ive been running 2-stroke in my 93 12v for a little while now and its been working great so far. Quieter engine, smooth running, and an in-town mileage increase from 14 to 16mpg.
All the problems Ive read about have come from people with the newer 24vs and any newer Common Rail injected engine. Apparently, the high-pressure of common rail setups dont like the extra oil in the fuel. However the older, simpler, injection systems like on my 93 will take about anything that lubricates and burns. Cant beat the reliability and flexibility of an old, mechanically injected, Cummins =D
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 AM

Both of my trucks (02 & 06) have always been happier when I added 2 stroke. On my 02 it quieted/smoothed out the rattle, easy starts, imroved fuel mileage and lubriticity for the Vp. I have noticed the same with my 06. The 3rd gens seem to have an injector tick and excessive crank time. With the 2 stroke, the tick is gone and excessive crank is gone.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 AM

Hey guys, don't know if this will help anyone but I have a 90 w250 that I am running Wesson veg oil in. It's working great! I add a small bottle to a tank full, engine combustion is much quieter and it makes me feel better knowing I am adding lubricant.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM

I've tried 2 cycle oil several times and my injectors don't like it at all so I will stay with Lucas, aka Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 PM

So why does Cummins allow WEO (Waste Engine oil) to be added to the fuel at a 5% volume (1.75 Gallons)?

Also why does Cummins produce a add on device called centinel??? It takes waste engine oil and pumps it into the fuel tank and burns it.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/.../centinel.html

There is several people today still burning waste engine oil in the fuel... Whats wrong with using clean oil???

For a long time people were adding ND30W engine oil (ashed) to the fuel and this was fine...

Remember the 24V Cummins engine was design to run on 360-460 HFRR fuels NOT 520> HFRR which are the fuels of today. So if the fuel has less lubricity it will cause more wear to your fuel system (IP, LP, and injectors).

So is there a additive to increase this?? Yes a few...
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Banned

My 06 loves it...Quiet and smooth...
BTW I drained my water separator last night and the fuel that came out was still just as gatorade green as when it came out of the pump, the blue 2stroke oil didn't change the color of my fuel.

Quick Reply: researching 2 stroke oil as a fuel lubricant addative