3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Replaced #4 injector line, now won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced #4 injector line, now won't start.

First, thank you in advance for any response to this post.

2004 Ram 2500 5.9 24V Cummins

I've recently had to replace the #4 injector line and since replacement we cannot get the truck to start. So far I have:

- Replaced both batteries (one was dead)
- Replaced fuel filter
- Changed oil / oil filter
- Cleaned nearly all electrical contacts under the hood
- Have verified that the lift pump (the original one attached to the filter housing) is still running, but not sure what the pressure out of it is.
- Used the key trick to check codes and came up with: P1652, P2269, P0652, P0192, P0113, P0237, P0193, and finally P0069.

With that many codes going all I can assume now is that the ECM is shot. Does that sound about right to you all? If so, what can I do to verify that? If not, what else could it be?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you verified no leaks in the replaced line?

The ECM has to read 3000 psi in rail pressure before allowing the injectors to fire. The slightest leak will prevent that... but the leak will be fairly obvious. Beware to keep body parts clear. 3000 psi of anything directed at you is not good.

How old is your fuel pump? The pumps on that year truck are notoriously short lived. That said, if it is running, even at reduced capacity, you will start. Most of the time it may start with it dead as the cp3 will suck the fuel through. That is not optimal, but possible.

I don't have the code list in front of me, but check them all out, remedy as necessary, clear codes and try again.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Did you tighten the HPC fuel connector nut to 37 ft lbs after removing fuel line. If not the HPC tube could be leaking enough to cause a no start. Always use a backup wrench on HPC nut when removing fuel line.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM

@soulezoo:
Verified there are no leaks at all anymore. Assuming it still has the original fuel pump and unfortunately don't have a pressure gauge to determine what it's output is. I do know that fuel is still getting to the injectors though. About the code list (and the original questions) P2269, for example, is water in fuel...and I have drained the filter twice, bumped the starter several times to fill it back up, still no start, and still have that particular code. I'm fairly certain there's no water in the fuel, and concerned that its another issue. Also, is there a way to clear the codes without a scanner?

@BigIron:
I haven't checked the torque on it after it was replaced, only torque wrench I have uses sockets which won't work there, with the line in place.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I'm going to assume that the truck was running before you replaced the injector line.......was there anything that might have been unplugged when you installed the new line and somehow forgot to re-connect?

Codes: P0113- Intake Air Charge Temperature Sensor High
P0192- Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Low
P0193- Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High
P0237- Turbocharger Boost Pressure Sensor Low
P0652- Sensor Reference Voltage 2 Circuit Low
P1652- J1850 Communication Bus
P2269- Water In Fuel Condition

P0069 I don't have in my list. With the Com. Bus code I would say that something may have a bad or non-existent signal to the ECM. Something went wrong somewhere in the mix.......I just don't know where!!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:46 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Forgot to ask......are you certain that you're getting fuel to the rail?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get a Crows Foot wrench or a set at Sears. This way you can check the torque value of the HPC fuel connector nut with the torque wrench.

Also, the lift pumps are very susceptible to failure. It may not be providing enough fuel or failed.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM

@jhenson: Correct, the truck ran just fine before the #4 injector line cracked. 2nd time this has happened to me. First time, the line was replaced and had no issues afterwards. Now, all we did was replace the line and whatever the piece is between the line and the actual injector and it won't start. Anything that was unplugged during replacement had been plugged back in. Also, I know I am getting fuel to the rail, because we opened back up #4 and tried to start it and a good amount of fuel came out.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM

@Dr.Dizzle: Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting one.
I am aware of the lift pump failure issue with this truck, and though I have not completely eliminated that as a possibility, I do know that it runs. Just not sure yet about how much psi its putting out.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM

A gauge would be beneficial in this situation. Given that, one method to test the pump is to place a graduated container under the clear drain line projecting from the fuel filter canister and open the yellow drain lever. At that point, turn the key on and bump the starter. The lift pump should operate for 25 seconds and at least 2 quarts of fuel should drain into the container. If not replace the lift pump. If you get 2 quarts then replace the filter with a Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter/water separator. They offer the best filtration for the stock canister.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
A gauge would be beneficial in this situation. Given that, one method to test the pump is to place a graduated container under the clear drain line projecting from the fuel filter canister and open the yellow drain lever. At that point, turn the key on and bump the starter. The lift pump should operate for 25 seconds and at least 2 quarts of fuel should drain into the container. If not replace the lift pump. If you get 2 quarts then replace the filter with a Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter/water separator. They offer the best filtration for the stock canister.
Yeah, I need to go get myself a gauge. Thing is, I'm still leaning towards this being an electrical issue, given all the codes that popped up. One bad lift pump isn't going to spring 8 different trouble codes on me.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 PM

If you are sure, then I recommend checking the torque on the fuel connection nut as BigIron 70 mentioned.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Okay, look at it like this.. forget I said anything about the #4 injector line and anything about the fuel system all together. What could cause the codes I listed above to all come up at the same time?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM

That would be the million dollar question, however; I would go back through and make sure that all of the electrical connections are secure and the internal connection pins are not damaged.

I would have the batteries load tested as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Possible injector HPC leaking. Tighten the nut for the HPC #4 injector to 37 Ft lbs. then reinstall fuel lines. Note: Internal leaks are not fairly obvious, only way to tell is do injector return flow test and if excessive then tighten ALL HPC nuts to spec. of 37 ft lbs. If still excessive then start capping fuel lines at the rail until injector causing the excessive return flow is located. Otherwise you are more or less guessing at what your no start problem is. You would need to isolate injector return flow from the CP3 return, special Miller tool required.
Following diagnostics

1 - high-pressure connector (to fuel injector)
2 - o-ring
3 - connector retainer
4 - fuel rail
5 - high-pressure fuel lines
6 - locating pins

Quick Reply: Replaced #4 injector line, now won't start.