3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Removing the Silencer Ring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Removing the Silencer Ring

As I understand it, removing the silencer ring will only make the whistle of the turbo louder....not the &quot;diesel&quot; sound, correct??<br><br>Given that, how would one go about removing the silencer ring? Where is it located? How hard is it to remove for someone who is above average on mechanical skills (above average meaning more mechanically inclined than the average nut...but probably just average with the folks around this forum)?
Old 05-30-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Removing the Silencer Ring

it is on the compressor side of the turbo. It is held on by a large snap ring. Two flat head screwdrivers and 5 min and its out. easy as putting a seat cover on.<br>DM01
Old 05-30-2003, 08:26 AM

Hoss just my 2 cents you could void warranty on turbo by doing that. Sounds like crock of u know what but they could do it if they want to if they found out you took it out.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:55 AM

&quot;Sir, it appears that your silencer ring has been removed.&quot;<br><br>&quot;What's a silencer ring??&quot; ??? ??? ???<br><br> <br><br>Seriously....how many people do this and has anyone had trouble with a warranty because of it?? Does it HURT anything to take it off...or just make the turbo whistle a little louder?? If it takes 5 minutes to take off....could I put it back on in 5 minutes if I had to go in for service??<br><br>Anyone got any pictures of what I'd be looking for if I removed it??
Old 05-30-2003, 09:08 AM

[quote author=Hoss link=board=20;threadid=15317;start=0#143837 date=1054302902]<br>&quot;Sir, it appears that your silencer ring has been removed.&quot;<br><br>&quot;What's a silencer ring??&quot; ??? ??? ???<br><br> <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Exactly! <br><br>The snap ring and the ring itself are reinsertable very easily. As a cautionary not though, the snap ring can be warped and twisted during removal making its replacement quite difficult. Use care getting it out.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:19 AM

Hoss go to the search button type in SILENCER RING there are some pic. somebody else posted. pic of ring in and the ring out. Big clear photo.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:32 AM

Thanks...I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOSS: The silencer ring was only put into the dodge trucks. The only perpose it serves is to &quot;quiet&quot; the turbo down, i.e. make it more of a nice driving rig for the avrage person going down the hwy. That's the only perpose. Removing it should do nothing to the warrenty at all. It is very easy to do. I found that a #2 flat head screw driver and a &quot;pick&quot; works better than 2 screw driver's. Use the screw driver to pry the end of the ring down then use the pick to get in behind it and pull er out! You will enjoy the sound! 8)<br><br>
Old 05-30-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hoss, I did mine one day while waiting for my turn at the fuel pump. That evening my wife drove the truck. When she got back, she said something like &quot;I Like it, what did you do?&quot;<br><br>Now if I could just get her to kick loose a little $$ for essentials, like fueling box, trans, stacks, flat bed, chrome, new paint..... Oh well, try it. You will only really hear it if you change your filter, but it is real easy to swith back and forth.<br><br>Glad you like your new truck.<br><br>Ed
Old 05-31-2003, 06:52 AM
Banned

gotta remember to replace the black intake thingie with a pipe IF you wanna hear the turbo whine. The ring is only part of it.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:07 PM

Hoss,<br><br>If you haven't removed your silencer ring yet go to the High Performance forum and check the post on silencer rings. I posted some pictures that should help you out. It's very simple to do.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:22 PM

I took mine out tonight and noticed that there is an opening behind where the ring was. Is the turbo able to get a little more air now or is it not big enough to do any good? It sure sounds good though! 8) ;D<br>Kris
Old 06-02-2003, 07:58 AM

Haven't done it yet. I did raise the hood and try to figure out where it was exactly...but no such luck. [undecided]
Old 06-03-2003, 11:42 AM

Just did mine, sounds pretty cool! ;D
Old 06-05-2003, 04:31 PM
Banned

Take off the elbow leading into your turbo. Look at your turbo. You should see a little cone like thing a snap ring holding it on. That's the silencer ring.

Quick Reply: Removing the Silencer Ring