3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

remote start-idiling

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start-idiling

I have a remote start on my current truck and will be getting a 2004 2500 Cummins. I read some where that it should not idle long cold. Of course that is when a remote start helps, crank it, let it cool off or warm up. Is there a problem with letting the cummins idle for about 5 to 8 minutes when first cranked?<br><br>I have hung around here for a few months, but this is my first post. Great site.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:36 PM

Re:remote start-idiling

Welcome Aboard FOTW.

The book says not to idle for prolong periods (or something like that). Having said that, on cold mornings after timer has turned on for 3 hours, I'll run out and start her up, then run back in and pour coffee; mess around; put on coat; and then go back out and drive to work. Yeah, sometimes its over 5 minutes. You'll know for sure after 2 minutes when the fast idle kicks in (1000 rpm).

I've seen instances where billy-bob will stop off at the local choke-and-puke after work in the dead of winter, nurse a few then go out to a still idling and warm truck. All apparently without ill effects. Time may tell.

I'm not convinced if the main reason is indeed wet-stacking, or more environmental type reasons like less pollution and/or less wasting of a natural resource (fuel) - and your $$$. But they are all valid reasons.

What are you worried about silly things like this for? You need to be thinking about important things like colors, and 2tone and stuff...... and getting the dealer to give you wheel well liners.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:19 PM

Thanks, I've known for months what I'm getting. Timberline green quad laramie SO Cummins 2wd 48re shortbed to pull a 7k 5'ver.<br>I was wonder if I need to sell the remote start. I'll be parking inside, but since I have it, I was hoping I could still use it. I can get it transferred to my truck for $40. <br>I was reading a thread and the talk was about not letting the engines idle cold, but there was no mention as to why. I did a search on remote start and it seems like quite a few have them.<br>I have a leased truck now, til Nov. and also have an '81 corvette to sale before then. Hey, but I know what I want.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:15 PM

If you get the security group then you'll have to get rid of the remote starter. Personally I'm for mor security than a remote starter.<br><br>OX
Old 04-18-2003, 10:22 PM

nope. i have a security group and a remoter starter. both work fine together. odds are, you will have to get a new remote starter, and get an extra key.<br><br>
Old 04-18-2003, 11:36 PM

Please explain!!!1<br>According to the manual you can not use a remote starter with the security group..<br><br>are you sayihng you leave a programend key in the ignition to be able to use a remote start unit?<br><br>OX
Old 04-19-2003, 06:19 AM

[quote author=MyBluOx link=board=20;threadid=13761;start=0#129667 date=1050727001]<br>Please explain!!!1<br>According to the manual you can not use a remote starter with the security group..<br><br>are you sayihng you leave a programend key in the ignition to be able to use a remote start unit?<br><br>OX<br>[/quote]<br><br>If you have the gray keys and want a remote start unit installed you must purchase an extra key. When you go to get your remote start unit installed they will secure the extra key up behind the dash in close proximity to the steering column. The key must be close enough to the steering column so the security system can read the transmitter in the key.<br><br>So NO, you do not leave a key in the ignition.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:26 AM

I looked into this as I am planning to install a remote start when my truck arrives this week. I was told that the extra key is put into a module somewhere in the truck (not in the steering column) and it sends a signal to the ignition fooling it into thinking the key is in the ignition. For the price of the security group I didn't think it was worth it. Don't forget you need to purchase another key at some ridiculous price. I'll be getting the remote start with the alarm and kill switch.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:30 AM

The keys are on ebay @ 12.95 ea. You can program up to 6 yourself. Don't pay the $90 the dealer wants...