3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rear Leaf pack Bolt size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Leaf pack Bolt size?

Hi all,

What's the bolt diameter size for the two bolts that go through the rear leaf springs? (the two bolts hold the pack together).

I can figure out the length, but just need the diameter size. Thanks.

I'm thinking about removing the two rear blocks on each pack to lower the rear end a little...this should help in loading and unloading...
Also will eventually add Airbags to assist, when hauling heavy and towing.
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:30 PM

they are some metric size [12mm i think] but when i relocated my spacers to the top of the spring pack, i used 1/2" NC [4.5" long i think] and some nyloc nuts... the 1/2" bolts fit fine...

if you completely remove the spacers, you might need to get new U bolts...
Old 01-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

When I moved those spacers from the bottom to the top, I just reused the stock bolts. I did have new bolts on hand to use but I found those 4.5" long bolts were too short to use as I did not have a big enough C clamp to hold the spring pack together to use them. Also, when you go to do this, check the top of the stock center pins, that's what those bolts are called. The pass. side on mine had the very top of the threads hammered together and I had to straighten them out before the nuts would come off the bolts. If the threads would have stayed peened together, it would have been a bear taking them off.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by phloop
When I moved those spacers from the bottom to the top, I just reused the stock bolts. I did have new bolts on hand to use but I found those 4.5" long bolts were too short to use as I did not have a big enough C clamp to hold the spring pack together to use them. Also, when you go to do this, check the top of the stock center pins, that's what those bolts are called. The pass. side on mine had the very top of the threads hammered together and I had to straighten them out before the nuts would come off the bolts. If the threads would have stayed peened together, it would have been a bear taking them off.

reusing my bolts was not an option after what i had to do to remove them...[stupid round head bolts]

they wern't that rusty when i started, but it was pouring rain half way through me doing this so they got wet [after i tried heating to make them easier to come off]
Old 01-16-2005, 08:46 AM

How is the ride? Has it changed for the better or worse?

Bill
Old 01-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

A little help for those stupid round head bolts. Use a pipe wrench on them instead of vice gripes or other tools. The pipe wrench is designed to be used on smooth round objects and will bite into the round head when you remove the nut. It might slip but just reposition the wrench.

And as for the ride, I've only driven about 14 miles with it since I did the swap and the only difference I've noticed is my vibration seems to be less at 65/70.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Will be useful.

But the diameter of the stock pin is about 1/2"?? that seems kind of big. I was guessing maybe around the 5/16th to 3/8th" range or so?? Just thinking outloud here..
Thanks

Originally posted by nickleinonen
they are some metric size [12mm i think] but when i relocated my spacers to the top of the spring pack, i used 1/2" NC [4.5" long i think] and some nyloc nuts... the 1/2" bolts fit fine...

if you completely remove the spacers, you might need to get new U bolts...
Old 01-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

Yes, the bolts/pins are 1/2". And there are two pins per pack. As for the size, remember these trucks are built stout, those little bolts work good on the smaller rigs.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM

Good point!. Thanks

Yes, the bolts/pins are 1/2". And there are two pins per pack. As for the size, remember these trucks are built stout, those little bolts work good on the smaller rigs.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:29 PM

A little help for those stupid round head bolts. Use a pipe wrench on them instead of vice gripes or other tools. The pipe wrench is designed to be used on smooth round objects and will bite into the round head when you remove the nut. It might slip but just reposition the wrench.

And as for the ride, I've only driven about 14 miles with it since I did the swap and the only difference I've noticed is my vibration seems to be less at 65/70.
i've also got 2 rigid 8" pipe wrenches with the teeth missing on them now.... i destroyed 2 pair of vice grips, and 2 pipe wrenches. if i had my torches full, i would have burned off the bolts... didn't have them so cut off wheel... i wonder if i can claim warrenty from rigid for them...
Old 01-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nickleinonen
i've also got 2 rigid 8" pipe wrenches with the teeth missing on them now.... i destroyed 2 pair of vice grips, and 2 pipe wrenches. if i had my torches full, i would have burned off the bolts... didn't have them so cut off wheel... i wonder if i can claim warrenty from rigid for them...
I think you will still be able to warrenty those Rigid wrenches. Just remember to remove any signs of mods before you take them in.