3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rattling front end!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling front end!!

So i have had to replace basically everything in the front end, ball joints 3 times in 6k miles..moogs sucked and they replaced them with a different brand and all is good so far, but my front end still is rattling like its ready to fall apart! last thing left is shocks..could this be the problem? i am not sure if they have been replaced since i bought it with 78k and now has 107k

How hard are shocks to do on these trucks and whats a good shock recomendation?

thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM

Did you replace the sway bar end links? they can cause alot of noise... shocks are easy all i do is remove the bolt at the axle than the three bolts that hold down the shock tower separate the shock and tower outside the truck, i went with the silver/black bilsteins cause i have a leveling kit, no problems with 45k
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Torqfan84
Did you replace the sway bar end links? they can cause alot of noise... shocks are easy all i do is remove the bolt at the axle than the three bolts that hold down the shock tower separate the shock and tower outside the truck, i went with the silver/black bilsteins cause i have a leveling kit, no problems with 45k
yep, replaced sway bar end links. thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by BibBubba
yep, replaced sway bar end links. thanks for the info.
along with your sway bar, check the bushings that connect the sway bar to your frame. Those tend to wear out. Also, you lower A-arms bushings. i was having this same problem, ended up replacing all 4 ball joints, swaybar end links/bushings, steering arms, upper A arms. One of those ended up being the problem on my truck. I figured instead of replacing 1 thing at a time i would replace the entire front end.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 AM

Replace the shocks. I had the same issue when I bought my truck used. I spent $2000 chasing that rattle down and replaced most of my front end. It turned out it was the left front shock. It drove me up a wall.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hamilton713
Replace the shocks. I had the same issue when I bought my truck used. I spent $2000 chasing that rattle down and replaced most of my front end. It turned out it was the left front shock. It drove me up a wall.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Thanks will do!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Well after about 40k of driving since i owned this truck Im about to put in the 4th set of ball joints, putting in Carli so these better work, Everthing has been replaced in the front end around 20k ago, darn front end rattles like crazy!! noticed 1 swaybar end link is sitting all crooked,swaybar bushing look shot again!

I really like the truck..but on the other hand I have never had to replace front end parts on any other truck i have owned like this...so Im really hating this thing! thinking of fixing it and dumping it since my extend warranty is done!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM

I had put in new xrf ball joint, U-joints and hubs. the upper ball joints only lasted maybe 2000 miles if that. I sent them back and bought dynatrac uppers. so far so good. now i can feel how lose my steering box is and i do have the brace on it.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, what are your driving conditions?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shorts
OP, what are your driving conditions?
City and mostly highway, worst road i drive on in the street i live on.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Other than the rattle, are there any other steering issues? Any unusual tire wear?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gatorama
Other than the rattle, are there any other steering issues? Any unusual tire wear?
No tire wear was good as was alignment. Darn thing eats front end parts. Extended warranty just expired and putting new front ends in it every 15 to 20k not what i was expecting .

Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, I had a reply typed out but seems it got lost. Not sure if it had anything to do with my neighbor showing up with beer.

Your end links are getting bent from the axle moving around. Do you have a lift or leveling kit? If so, you need extended links. The stock ones just won't cut it.

Also how is our track bar? it is not unheard of for the hole the track bar mounts to on the frame to wallow out. That lets your axle move around and makes some noise.

Its not normal that you've got this kind of problem so frequently. Use quality parts. Check all your bushings. Something ain't right.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shorts
Hmm, I had a reply typed out but seems it got lost. Not sure if it had anything to do with my neighbor showing up with beer.

Your end links are getting bent from the axle moving around. Do you have a lift or leveling kit? If so, you need extended links. The stock ones just won't cut it.

Also how is our track bar? it is not unheard of for the hole the track bar mounts to on the frame to wallow out. That lets your axle move around and makes some noise.

Its not normal that you've got this kind of problem so frequently. Use quality parts. Check all your bushings. Something ain't right.
No lift or leveling kit, better then stock or equivalent parts were used, no autozone stuff, got a feeling once the ball joints are put in I'm sending the truck on its way

Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Shop gave me a price to put in the ball joints I purchsed, $700...thats sound about right? guy at work is going to put them in for $300.

Sway bar end links are not bent, just turning, like the sway bar shifts to one side a bit, oh well start replacing crap again and start looking for more issues.

Quick Reply: Rattling front end!!