3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rattling in front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling in front end

I have an 04 2500 4x4 QC 5.9 and the front end has been rattling lately when going over bumps in the road. I have replaced both shocks, the sway bar links and bushings, the ball joint at the steering box, and have checked the other ball joints and seem ok. I noticed that there are 2 stabilizer bars per side on the rear of the diff attached to the frame, are there bushings in there that could be changed. There is also that torsion bar that could be the trouble. Anyone else out there have any knocking trouble in front end. Thanks

2004 2500 4x4 QC 5.9ctd
Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM

They call that "Death Wobble". Do a search and you will come up with a few thousand posts on the subject. You might not have it severely, but you got it. I personally think it is the ball joints in your knuckles. But, it usually turns out to be a number of things together.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Happens mainly if you have bigger tires than stock. Have seen afew of the members that had BFG tires with that problem, going to a differant brand seemed to cure the problem...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez, from "a rattle" direct to "DW". Pretty serious diagnosis to something that may be minor.

Do you have any other symptoms or just a noise? Something loose like a heat shield could cause a rattle.

Cya
Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Sorry seems like everyone I know that has one of these trucks ends up getting DW sooner or later. To some degree at least. I guess I might have read his post too fast and skipped past rattling in the front end as being a noise. I took for granted that he was maybe feeling the rattle as he is going through and looking for things to replace? By all means we should back up a bit and say "hey have you checked to make sure there aren't any loose heat shields?" I was just tossing an idea out there for him. Maybe he has read some other posts by now and he can say "no it definitely doesn't sound like death wobble. Which heat shields are located somewhere near the front end that you think he is hearing?
Billie here does have a point though, it very well could have nothing to do with the dreaded "DW"

reaves11 if I was misunderstanding you, why are you going through and replacing parts? I'm not here to just be a PITA I would like to help if I could. I usually try and reply to threads if they haven't had any replys yet, because I find it frustrating when you can see that people are viewing your thread, but aren't responding.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:13 PM

I have the exact same problem on my 04. I have no abnormal tire wear to speak of and no vibration at all in the truck itself or the steering. Mine has had it since I bought it and it only does it when I hit a rough spot in the road or on dirt roads with pot holes or something. It only sounds like it is coming from the drivers side but I could be wrong. Not trying to hijack your post, but I would like to know more about it too. Any help would be great.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 PM

i have the same problem teamroper, it seems to come from the drivers side, almost as if it is a steering box problem. I am going to jack up truck on frame and get weight off of front end and see if I can reconstruct the same noise. It is annoying as hell this rattle.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 AM

the sector shaft in my steering box is the problem, grab the pitman arm and try wiggling it, mine actually is quite loud, just another thought.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both of mine rattle like crazy, from the time I crank'em up till the time I turn'em off.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by reaves11
I noticed that there are 2 stabilizer bars per side on the rear of the diff attached to the frame, are there bushings in there that could be changed.

2004 2500 4x4 QC 5.9ctd
the end links is what I would check first. Looking at them or wiggling them wont tell you a thing. Unless they destroyed. Take a long pry bar and raise up on the sway bar. You will see if there is play here. Do both sides. You can also have somebody push up/down alot on the truck and you'll see play there if there is any. If one or both of these are the culprit, you'll be able to bounce the truck by hand enough to hear/see them rattle. Rockauto.com has the best prices that I have found.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 AM

I agree with Airgrabber. I replaced the drivers side end link on my 06 because of a rattle. It was pretty easy to spot. I could push the sway bar up and down while laying under the truck and see that it was trashed. It's an easy fix.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't actually suggesting it was a heat shield, just making the point that we shouldn't diagnose something without a bit more investigation. "A rattle" is a bit vague to go on.

The swap bar end links would be my guess but, reaves11, you said you replaced those. Given the other parts you have looked at it, sounds like you are hearing a 'heavy' type of metal not a tin-like sound. Your plan to get the weight off of it may help and a few big pals to bounce it hard may help too. When you jack up the truck, check at varying points from full weight to no weight in case the problem shows itself during up and down travel.

By 'stabilizers', do you mean the radius arms off of the front axle? Yes, there are bushings at the frame mount that could be loose or worn. With the weight raised they should loosen enough to tell if they are shot.

If it rattles, it will move somewhere. The pry bar will be your friend, good luck.

Cya
Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same problem here. I've done ball joints, track bar, shocks, end links, hubs, and braced the gear box and it still rattles when i hit potholes. Think i'm doing all bushings next, on sway bar mounts and control arms, along with the steering upgrade.....these days i just turn up the stereo and don't worry unless it gets real loud!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Not to be a smart a$$. But is your trailer hitch in. Ok sorry couldn't help myself. Make sure your end links are tight they will rattle if not.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 AM

Do the end links rattle or clunk? I've had a noise that's becoming a loud clunk when I hit bumps.

Quick Reply: Rattling in front end