3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Questions regarding 1st gens, with regards to the bodies.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding 1st gens, with regards to the bodies.

Well I offered to buy a 92, 2x4 5 speed, 193k and really liked the drive train. My idea of a pickup is really something like a tractor with a rock solid body. When I see these 1st gens I think they must be like old chev's or Fords. My impression on this trucks bodies seemed (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS PERSONALLY) kind of tinney comparatively speeking. Since this is the first time I had driven a 1st gen I was really dissapointed. I had high hopes for a rig that would have really good fuel economy and be a replacement for my 7mpg Chevy. I just love the sound of cummins purring not sputtering like every gas car I've ever owned.
I would like to know from you owners of these rigs, if the truck I tested was not the usual.
The mechanic I took it to said that lots of times just replacing the shocks with some gas shocks have made all the difference in the ride to some owners. He also said that weight in the back will help. The clutch chattered a wee bit on taking off, but the mechanic said that was a common complaint and that the newer clutchs are much better.

This rig did not have any rust and had at one time a fifth wheel hitch.
The truck did go down the road nicely and stopped better than any other pickup I've owned. I could really feel the weight of the engine on the front of the truck.

Is what I had a hard time with was that there was a lot of squeeking from the dash area and other places. It was real annoying. I did not know where to look for the cowel cracks, but I'm guessing that its under the hood as I did not see anything on the outside.

The seat seemed comfortable but the shifter was a long reach even for my long arms. I would definitley add something to get it closer. My wife would definitley not like the shifter. The doors did not shut anything like my 73 chev. Also the cruise control did not work and the buttons seemed really seems fragile.
This seemed like an old mans truck, likely not to have been off roaded, but might have pulled loads and that might have loosened it up?

I have the 2005 in my sig and if you can believe it, I really feel out of place driving a new truck, my friends give me a hard time about it, after all the years I've preached about older rigs.

I've noticed rigs that have lower miles on them and wonder if the bodies would be better.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mixed up and would like this thread moved to the 1st generation forums. Thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 09:15 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The first gens have a couple of sheet metal problems. One is the cracking of the inner fenders that causes squeaks and water leaks. Look for evidence of water under the floor mats in front of the seat. The doors tend to sag, especially on the older ones. My floor was flexible under my feet while driving. Borp, borp oil canning. You can expect the paint to go flying off too.

Mechanicly speaking be sure, if it's an automatic, that it has the OD. And plan a Borgeson steering shaft.

John