3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question for fuel supplement users

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for fuel supplement users

Since most of the fuel supplement bottles treat several tank fulls, how to you store/handle your supplements? I don't have exterior truck storage to use plus if I did, I think you're not supposed to let it freeze. Do you just pour the jug into smaller bottles and use them? If so, do you need special bottles for it? Just trying to find a way to use the bigger bottles and not have the interior of my truck stunk up.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

I keep my power service in my tool box, since you do not have one just throw your bottle on back of truck and keep it there, did that help?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM

Well, it will not freeze. Also, a good way to store your bottle is under the hood next to the firewall. I personally don't do this. All the guys at the diesel shop here do. Also, all these containers are famous for leaking that stinky stuff out the top. Pour it into another container that wont leak. I keep mine in my tool box which obviously you said you don't have. I see a lot of guys putting a bunge cord from one side of there bed to the other up against the cab. That seems to hold it in place. Make a holder for it in your bed and bolt it down. Ya know, a little metal or plastic box or something.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 PM

I buy a case of Stanadyne Performance half gallon bottles and pour them into MSR 11 oz camp fuel bottles. I keep 4 of them under the back seat. They seal completely. You can find these at most outdoor stores.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 PM

I just buy the 10 oz. Welches juice bottles and clean them out. then I put those in a cardboard six pack holder in my garage. put one in the door compartment on a rag when I need to fuel up. Never had a leak from the screw on cap and the bottles are very sturdy plastic. When I'm traveling I put the six pack in an old playmate type cooler and strap it down in the bed. Works for me. l
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use 16.9 oz Coca Cola plastic bottles. Mix 12oz PS and 4oz MMO in the bottles. Usually mix 6 at a time. Keep a full one or two in a zip lock bag under the back seat. Had a couple tops loose and leak a little into the zip lock bag, but never leaked out of the zip lock bag. Been doing this for over 4 years now.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I use 16.9 oz Coca Cola plastic bottles. Mix 12oz PS and 4oz MMO in the bottles. Usually mix 6 at a time. Keep a full one or two in a zip lock bag under the back seat. Had a couple tops loose and leak a little into the zip lock bag, but never leaked out of the zip lock bag. Been doing this for over 4 years now.
Did you ever check into that MMO? I take that is Marel Mystery Oil. I thought that had some negative effects? I remember some post on here saying not to run it, but I may be wrong.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Throw the Howes in the back of the truck.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

I get stanadyn in single tank bottles. A bit more expensive, but more convenient. I bought a tote with a clip on lid. I keep my stanadyn, extra oil, bottle of antifreeze, couple of rags, ect in it. I just leave it in the bed. If it is really cold I put one of the bottles of stanadyn in my door compartment. If the stanadyn gets cold it doesn't hurt it, it just does not poor in concentrated form. This has worked out pretty good for me.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 PM

During the winter I like to keep the fuel tank full to prevent condensation. I pour Power Service (white bottle for winter, silver bottle for spring, summer & fall) into an empty Sta-Bil bottle that has two spouts - the small spout lets me measure out the Power Service by the ounce so I don't have to guess when doing 5 or 10 gallon 'top off' fuel stops plus it's easy to pour. I have a tonneau cover on my truck and store the bottles in a bag in the bed.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:09 AM

First, get a plastic square milk container type boxes. Then get one of those extendable bars that has rubber ends to grip, push it against the container
and ratchet it from one side of bed to other tight enough to stay. You will find other uses for it too. I don't know where you live, but I just quit all of the additives and put a few gallons of B-20 in tank. It has much greater lubricity of any of additives, is same price of diesel, and will keep your fuel system very clean. For extreme cold, I will then add some of white bottle Power service. The bio cleans everything so well, even the tank, that I would carry a spare fuel filter and tools needed to change it. I always do anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:13 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
One guy posted that he uses empty one quart oil bottles. They've got the window on the side now so you can see what your pouring. After reading that article in Diesel Place,my PS and Standyne don't look too good. I've got a local distributor for Opti-lube and I'm going with that.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:30 AM

I buy one of the 80 oz. jugs, (formally 96 oz., price gouging bastards), and distribute it into 5 of the 16 oz. bottles. I just take one with me when ever I fill up or know I will have a fill up on a trip.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson
After reading that article in Diesel Place,my PS and Standyne don't look too good. I've got a local distributor for Opti-lube and I'm going with that.
What article is that? I haven't been on here for a while. Any news on supplements I've missed out on?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a 12 oz glass dr pepper bottle and put it into a plastic crate in the bed. Nobody's stolen it yet.

Quick Reply: Question for fuel supplement users