3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Quadzilla Xzillaraider, fried my fuel rail pressure sensor, costs $735 to replace!!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadzilla Xzillaraider fried my fuel rail pressure sensor & costs $735 to replace!!??

A few weeks ago I fired up my 06, and went inside to let it warm up. A few minutes later, I heard some nasty noises, and the truck stalled out. My heart **** near stopped beating, cause I thought I had seized up another engine (a story for another day and another thread.....). Luckily the truck still turned turned over, and with help from my Quadzilla fuel rail pressure gauge, and Auto Enginuity Scan Tool, I quickly narrowed down the problem to a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor.

I swapped in an extra fuel rail pressure sensor from an engine I had melted three pistons with (yet another painful story for another day and another thread.......). This fixed the problem. I left the Quadzilla Xzillaraider, and fuel rail gauge disconnected, and drove around for a week without any further problems. I then hooked up the fuel rail pressure gauge and drove around for another week or so without problems other then the occasional overboost code caused by the SPS62/14. Yesterday I decided I was sick of clearing the boost code, and hooked up the Xzillaraider. Ten minutes later my fuel rail pressure sensor failed.

I was only a block away from a Dodge dealer, and thought this would only be a minor inconvenience, until the parts guy told me the price of a new sensor $735!!! My truck has no warranty, as I imported it from the US, and I have modified my truck enough that the warranty would be void anyway, but there is NO way I'm paying that much for a sensor. I'm gonna call the nearest Cummins dealer first thing this morning and hopefully get quoted a much lower price.

Has anyone on this forum had a similar experience with a quadzilla pressure box, or any pressure box frying fuel rail sensors? Or is it just me, and my incredible bad luck I've had this year?

Carl
Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 AM

I would be calling Quad!! His customer services is just fantastic and will take care of you.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM

I just got off the phone with the nearest Cummins shop. They sell the sensor for a mere (relatively speaking) $113! I sure pity the fool who gets any off warranty service work done at a Dodge dealership.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I still don't understand how tapping into only the signal wire on the RP sensor will fry it. I wish someone could actually explain that. If the power or ground wires were messed with, it would make a little more sense but that is not the case. It is only a voltage sensing wire and there is no voltage that would ever flow the other direction back into the sensor from these Quad products.....right?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM

I haven't actually proved that the Xzillaraider is the cause of my problems, but at this point all signs point in that direction. My next step is to send the Xzillaraider back to get checked out. In the meantime I'm going to continue to drive drive around stock and see if the problem reoccurs.