3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pro's and Con's with new trucks? How do you like them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoot,

Can you describe the vibration in more detail?

I haven't noticed anything on my 2003.

Cheers
Old 04-15-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are multiple posts on the main Dodge sites.

Starting at around 67 mph you feel a harmonic high frequency (not high pitch) roughness coming from underneath. By 70 mph it's a constant "urrrrrrrrrr"

At about 75-80 is tapers off but at 70-75 it's constant. Feels rough and not good.

I've been driving trucks for probably 15-20 years with the last 10 in diesels. This is definately a problem and it feels like the driveline, not motor shake.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:03 PM

Mine's perfect and so is my neighbor's. Since it varies from truck to truck sounds like driveshafts or maybe pinion alignments? On my next one I'll sure follow the thread's advise and thanks y'all for the heads up.

My creaky rear spring isolator is a little annoying though.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:40 PM

If I could turn back time I would not get rid of my 02 for a 3rd gen!Sure it has some nice things about it but overall the 02 was a lot better.
Hoot,My local dealer would not deal so I went elseware and bought it.Tryed to take to them for service. no loaner for a week and a half's worth of repairs, was told by service manager that rental cars are a privlage for the people that bought from them!May have to take to the selling dealer from now on at an 1 1/2 hr drive.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:03 PM

I definately wouldn't have another one the 70 mph vibration really sucks and nobody is willing to fix it.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:46 PM

Orig Question.." How do you like them"?... Well, I know misery typically likes company, so I will have to dissappoint some of you. No drones, rattles, vibrations, smells, poor mpg numbers, wind noises, paint concerns, leaks of any sort, and best of all- no reason to go back to the dealer. Yes..its a Quad cab, not a crew cab. It fits my family and garage just fine. Frankly, I didnt want the longer "Crew". Didnt need it. Same for the bed. Bigger is not always better, didnt need it. The real irony is it has so many things even other Dodge owners gripe about, yet, I have no issues. From the short bed, the Patriot Blue paint, the 47re auto, and SO engine, I wouldnt trade it for ANY Ford. Oh, did I mention I have been with FoMoCo for over 20 years, my family for even longer. They betrayed me, not the other way around. Dodge made the truck I wanted, for ALOT less money. Answer- I like it.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:36 PM

I've had 1st gen, 2nd gen and now a 3rd gen. (Mine is a 305/555 version, early build date) I have not suffered any of the vibration problems that have been described. I am satisfied with the new truck and I currently have 37K miles. The biggest benefits in my mind are significantly improved brakes, I couldn't replace the brakes on my 96-97 vintage trucks fast enough. They have improved the steering, It is still hard for me to believe that I have a Dodge that goes where it is pointed. I may be in the minority but I believe the limited slip in the AAM axles is better than the old Dana's. I never had a Dana limited slip that would act the same way two days in a row, the AAM's seem to hook up more reliably and more predictably.

They are not without their downsides. They have an A pillar that you could hide a train behind. I also think that the 2nd gen SLT is the best looking truck on the road. I prefer the 2nd gen interior as well. If you like to play with your motor, there has never been a better motor for mods that the 12 valve version in the 1st gens and up to 98.5 2nd gens.

I'm sure that you will get lots of varied opinions. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:10 AM

I got one of the first 03 3500 HO in Alaska was built in 10/02
I have not had one problem with this truck. It is slightly bombed with some of my own creations. This thing pulls like a freight train. Had her up to about 95mph today no vibrations. I still have the winter diesel in it and I am getting 21mpg empty. I belong to several fourms and I guess I was lucky to get a good one from all that I have seen.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by midlife crisis
Orig Question.." How do you like them"?... Well, I know misery typically likes company, so I will have to dissappoint some of you. No drones, rattles, vibrations, smells, poor mpg numbers, wind noises, paint concerns, leaks of any sort, and best of all- no reason to go back to the dealer. Yes..its a Quad cab, not a crew cab. It fits my family and garage just fine. Frankly, I didnt want the longer "Crew". Didnt need it. Same for the bed. Bigger is not always better, didnt need it. The real irony is it has so many things even other Dodge owners gripe about, yet, I have no issues. From the short bed, the Patriot Blue paint, the 47re auto, and SO engine, I wouldnt trade it for ANY Ford. Oh, did I mention I have been with FoMoCo for over 20 years, my family for even longer. They betrayed me, not the other way around. Dodge made the truck I wanted, for ALOT less money. Answer- I like it.
I belive the vast majority of owners are experiencing what you describe. An excellent product.

While this FORUM is an excellent place to view, discuss and aire problems and concerns, people often seem to think that any issue discussed here means every CTD Ram is affected. Just not true.

I believe that DC is manufacturing an outstanding product. And, it is important to keep in mind that the views expressed on the Forum are merely a grain of sand on the beach.

DC sells a few hundred thousand rams each year and there are only a few thousand members on this Forum.

So when one or even a few dozen Forum memebers are experiencing a problem it certaintly does not mean that every Ram produced has a vibration, or faulty this or that.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:31 AM

My vib does go away after 75 mph and she's smooth after that.

just so happens most of my driving falls in the 70-75 range

So far besided that I do like the truck No other problems except the service depts seem a bit rough to deal with.

I took it in for vibration, underhooh light not working and the pass window having a slow spot in it.

Got the truck back... all they fixed was a burnt out lightbulb.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:09 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Well thats some feed back. The one thing I thought was funny is no one talked about why DC still isnt offering a full size crew cab. I dont get it. Go sit in a Duramax crew cab and you might mistake the back seat for the front seat. Thats comfort. Right now my kids are young and a club cab fits OK but in a few years I need more room. I dont plan on making anyone cram in behind me on any long trip. All the things everyone said are great! I will be looking for all that stuff to compare to when I visit the dealer. As for my own opinion, there is a few thing I dont understand why DC changed. One, being Dana axles. Tried and true they never gave trouble. Two, getting rid of the front axle disconnect. Not only do I think all there messing with the front axle geometry is the number one cause of all the high speed vibration everyone is experiencing but now you cant set up a 2 lo kit for slow speed trailering. I love that on my truck! Well I really like the Cummins and I'm kinda fond of some of the thing DC has done in my truck but when I look for a new ride I wont settle for a crappy truck just to get the sweet motor. Thats whats so nice about talking to you guys. Great feed back! Thanks.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:03 AM

A-#1 G.I.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:08 AM

Fellas,
Although off the track of the original thread.....
You may think Warranty Work is great deal for the dealer but it realy sucks!
I think you summed it up when said "USE" for warranty work. New sales pay the bills not waranty work. So being told nicely to take it back to the selling dealer is a business decision. Believe me, they know the difference between the guy who just moved to the area and the guy who flew to Texas to save $250.00!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by sawboywv1
Fellas,
Although off the track of the original thread.....
You may think Warranty Work is great deal for the dealer but it realy sucks!
I think you summed it up when said "USE" for warranty work. New sales pay the bills not waranty work. So being told nicely to take it back to the selling dealer is a business decision. Believe me, they know the difference between the guy who just moved to the area and the guy who flew to Texas to save $250.00!
That sucks. I never had that problem in15 year of GM ownership.

Recently I found a Dodge dealer that didn't ask me where I purchased it. When one does, they most likely will never see me again for anything. So much for sales income.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:59 PM

So far, so good. Only have about 11K miles so its still early. Hauled our 5th wheel to Fla and back with no problems. We like the interior, power, etc. Not too crazy about the wide post but not a problem re driving so far.

Did have a rear bearing go out on 6 speed but dealer and DC took care of it with no hassles.

We think we made a good investment.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's with new trucks? How do you like them?