3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pro's and Con's with new trucks? How do you like them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:48 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Pro's and Con's with new trucks? How do you like them?

What better people to ask than you guys who laid out the cash for a new ride. How are they? Do you think DC has created more trouble or have they made a great truck that will lead to a problem free life? I'm I right when I hear that the new trucks dont have a vacumm pump? How do the accesories work then? What about an exhaust brake? How would that work with no vacumm? How about the new axles? I saw a new truck the other day and all the paint on the diff cover was cracked and peeled off. Not sure why. I would some day like to get a new truck since I now cant look forward to a long partnership with my newly found #53 block, but I want to make sure about what I spend my hard earned money on THIS TIME. I will say though that I'm not really understanding why DC wont make a real crew cab? That might be the selling feature for me.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My tuck has been GREAT so far!!

I'm sure you have heard about some 600 owners having a mpg problem. I'm not experiencing this myself though. So far, I havn't seen anything that would make me question how reliable or long lasting a new truck will be and I also havn't experienced anything with my truck that makes me think it won't last one million miles. The Cummins 600 has gobs of power, is pretty quiet, but still sounds like a Cummins. I started a thread called "New 2004.5 is GREAT! Which 4" free flow muffler is best?" (it's at the bottom of the third page of this forum) where I summarized many of my experiences so far. If every truck were like mine, I would highly, highly recomend a Dodge/Cummins.

My overall attitude about the truck: Needless to say, I like it a lot.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2003 305/555 6spd. I've put 13,000 miles on it thus far. It beats the 2nd trucks in almost all areas. It still does not have the pulling power of my old 96 12 valve- although it is getting better. And it does not get as good MPG as my 96. BOTTOM LINE- you can't beat a 12 valve for power, reliablity and MGP- espicially if you turn up the fuel (slide the cam plate forward) a little...

All in all, I'm glad I traded- more room, better ride, better drive, better brakes, quieter, more interior comfort features, etc, etc...
Old 04-14-2004, 02:28 PM

I'd say I'm 50% satisfied - IMO, some things are better and some seem worse than the two 2nd gen's I've owned. I do like the looks of the new interior, but some components seem cheap whereas they were excellent before... like the flimsy new cup holder for example. I'm still debating over whether or not I like the exterior looks as much as the older ones, but I can tell you that the sheet metal on my new one feels like it was made from Coke cans... washing it the other day, the panels were flexing and buckling under minimum pressure... the paint seems ridiculously cheap too, compared to my '99. Handling is definitely better in this new 3rd gen tho... same goes for the power, duh... but the mileage and 70 mph vibration are giving me bad vibes about this truck. Overall, I'd say I'm neutral as to whether I am happy with my purchase or not... I guess I had really high expectations for this truck and it has not met them all yet.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:00 PM

We like our 2004. It's a great truck. We like the drivability of it, it's so smooth it's ridiculous. The interior is great, but I must agree with the body panels being really flexible and seemingly made up of recycled tin cans.

The only thing I don't like is the A pillar is too darn fat to see around and to look over your shoulder is another pain in the butt to actually see traffic.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:47 PM

My tuck has been great so far too.

I have had a 93, 97, 99 drw, 99 3/4 and 01. All diesels. My 03 tops them all. I missed the rattle at first but the quietness has grown on me. The most noticable imrovements are steering, handling, ride, bigger cab, brakes and interior comfort. I also like the look of the 3rd gen as well. I wish they would of put more sound insulation around the cab and on the floor for road noise, but is not to bad and you'll probably see more insulation in the 05 models. I agree with the paint and the sheetmetal being really thin, but all three makes are the same way. The 6spd shifts much smoother than my prior trucks. As far as the new AA front and rears, only time will tell. As far as Im concerned, You cant go wrong with the new ram.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 PM

I have an early 04 with 14000 miles on it
Tranny recall otherwise great
Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 AM

I'm going to buy another one.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:58 AM

I love my truck - it's nice to have my own personal Saturn V in the bed when I need the extra oomph on the highway!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:11 AM

I've had 2, 0-3's. Love em both. I own a fleet of 2nd gen trucks and there are many plus's and minus's to compare.

Power, handling, brakes, quiet, all superior to a 2nd gen truck.

However on the negative side. The bumpers are tin. I swear you could dent one with your foot. Since DC dropped the 3.54 rear axle, mileage is down by about 3 mpg on the 03 & 04. Seems much worse on the 04.5. Door armrest is hard as stone. I have not had any paint problems. BUt my first 0-3 did have the dreaded 2000 rpm vibe. The 2nd truck is trouble free. Has 14K miles on it and has yet to be back to the dealer. THough I do have to get the 48RE recall done.

Overall excellent. THough if I could have the ear of a DC exec that gave a **** I could give him a laundry list of things they could do to make a better truck. But alas, try and find that exec.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The 70 MPH VIBRATION is a real turnoff.

My truck is basically brand new. Had it 2 weeks and 1000 miles.

Took it in for 70 drivetrain vibration.

They told me they can't do anything about it and Chrysler is working on the issue.

I am fuming. Brand new truck

DOn't buy one unless you drive it at 70 mph and you're satisfied. There are a lot of them out there like this.

Here's the other kicker...

They told me they can't test drive it cause 70 is over the speed limit around the area.

Again...... before you take it, test drive it. Dealer service has been a nightmare. On dealer won't fix it and the other won't work on it cause i didn't buy it there and none will test drive it.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by hoot
The 70 MPH VIBRATION is a real turnoff.

Again...... before you take it, test drive it. Dealer service has been a nightmare. On dealer won't fix it and the other won't work on it cause i didn't buy it there and none will test drive it.
This is an EXCELLENT point. A test drive at 70 mph or getting the rpm's up to between 2000 and 2200 is a must. And don't just touch 70 and back off. get to 70, set the cruise and go a few miles. THen adjust the speed up and down unitl your satisfied. Should be vibe free. If not, move to another truck.

HOOT, as far as the dealer refusing to sevice it because you didn't buy it there. THat is out and out BS on their part. DC pays for all warranty work, not the dealer. ANd it is a written policy, reference your woners manual and warranty booklet, that any DC dealer will perform warranty work. But I don't think I would want them working on my truck even if the did agree.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:49 AM

Oh, they will service it.... but they offered an appointment two weeks out and ignore my same day car rental contract by saying "We don't rent cars..... we cannot help you with that"

This is a Chrysler came day car contract that was paid for.

Sooo... I have to rent the car myself and send in for a reimbursement if I use that dealer.

The first dealer I went to had a local rental agency pick me up at the dealer.

It hasn't been a great experience with Dodge service so far. I do recall being warned.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:50 AM

On dealer won't fix it and the other won't work on it cause i didn't buy it there and none will test drive it
Hoot, that's a crock. Any Dodge dealer should be able to work on it. What if you had just moved into the area? Of course you wouldn't have bought it there. Even though I didn't by my current truck at the dealer where I bought the previous two, I will still be using them for service (as I do for my Neon), as the dealer where I did buy the truck is 35 miles away and over an hour in traffic.

Hoot, PM me if you want the name of my dealer. Very good people. Give you a hint - they're in Edgmont, on Route 3.

That being said - I have had my truck at 70 and over, ahem. No vibration, etc. I course, I have a dually long wheelbase, so, it may be apples to oranges.

Mileage - in the 12s, on the same commute my PSD got in the 15s, but this is a bigger heavier truck, and a dually, with an auto. PSD was SRW with a 6 speed. I'll tell you what, my old V10 would have been LUCKY to break into the 9s in this vehicle.

Best truck, best ANY vehicle I've ever owned, and I've owned several, of different makes. DC has hit a home run here. The bumper is weak though - if you read my "first ding" thread, you'll see what I mean!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:53 AM

Raymond snubbed me. I'll check with your dealer.

Thanks wexman

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's with new trucks? How do you like them?