3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Proper diff lube fill level

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Proper diff lube fill level

I was reading a tsb that said some cover's had the fill hole's in differant location's. It said to use a pipe cleaner to measure the fluid level. It's supposed to be 1/4'' from the bottom of the hole, and over filling would cause foaming. Unless I missed something, I could not find anything about how to tell wich cover I had. So what have you guy's been doing. Thank's.

Here's the TSB.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/03-001-04A.htm
Old 12-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
every truck i have owned, including this one- i fill until the fluid comes out the fill hole. never had a problem.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the TSB link

The TSB States (for the 11.5" axle) Fill to 1/4" below the hole + or - 1/4" so even with the hole is in spec! Very unlikely that an additional 1/4" of fluid will cause any foaming problem.

Regards,
jim B
Old 12-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Chapter President

This is what the cover looked like before I went Mag-HiTek. I'm pretty sure your 04.5 and my 04 have the same covers
Tom
Old 12-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess a picture truely is worth a thoushand word's. I see the fill line now. Thank's.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
exactly!! Fill to 1/4" below the hole + or - 1/4" . so when the fluid starts oozing out the fill hole- you are all set!!!!!!!!! sure is alot easier than trying to gauge whether you are at the fill line- that is etched on the outside of the diff cover!! it is probably a safe bet that the techs at the dealership fill until the fluids oozes out the fill hole too!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:22 AM

The funny thing I keep hearing is that 1/4" above the 1/4" mark (at the fill hole) will cause foaming. I personally don't believe this...why??? Lets think about for a second how lubrication happens in the rear diff... There is no pump, no force feed mechanism or anything else, the diff (like many manual tranny's) are feed by splash and spray from the ring gear whipping through the oil in the pumpkin. There will be foaming no matter how high or low the level is and if there isn't then it means that the oil level is way too low for the ring gear to contact the oil sitting in the diff which would also mean no lube oil being slashed/foamed/etc to any of the other diff parts. If a quality oil is used, foaming itself will be more of a splash or mist that coats everything due to anti-foaming additives and cheaper oils will "foam". If people are really concerned about foaming the real concern isn't necessarily the foam (as this is kinda how the parts do get lubed) but more the oil foaming too much and puking out the breather tube. If there is oil coming out the breather tube then yeah there's a problem...but the problem would more likely be a result of poor oil qualities or severly overfilled (much more than 1/4"). My diff was filled to the bottom of the fill hole and I have had no oil coming out the breather tube with heavy towing.

One of the additives/qualities of a good gear oil is to have anti-foaming qualities so that whipped oil has better lubricating qualities, the better oils are obviously better at controling foaming.

A very good visual demonstration of anti-foaming qualities and a reason to not use more additives than what a good quality oil already uses can be found at the following link as well as a better description of what I am trying to say about foaming:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

And on a second note...EVERYONE PLEASE HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed the plug is very low on my stock 03 cover. Tfeore, is the plug higher in the Mag cover than it is in the stock cover? My wheel brgs didn't have much oil to them. In fact, the left side was sludges-up badly (lack of fresh oil) - the upper road crown side. I'm surprised there was enough oil to keep the seals from wearing out. This sounds like the same scenario as the Dana axles - the plugs were low and Mag put them up between the bottom of the tube and the axle shaft, without foaming problems. Craig
Old 12-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Hal

Mine made noise until I over filled it - parked on a hill with the fill hole up and then topped it off. Took another quart! All quiet ever since.

Wonder if the hole is lower on the 03s...