3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Problem with engine dying while highway driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with engine dying while highway driving

I’ve been battling this problem since May. It seems my engine will just die as I’m driving along. It has now happened about 6 times. The first couple times I got code P0148 but since then no codes. Just a dead engine. I’ve now been able to notice it starting to go out. Suddenly the engine starts loosing RPM’/speed even while pressing down further on the accelerator. I can let off completely and then press back down and kind of bump the RPS’s a little but ultimately it’s going to shut down when they get low enough. Then I have to coast over to the side of the road, key the truck off then it starts right back up and I’m on my way. All but one time it happened at highway speeds. It’s very random but tends to happen after I’ve been driving a while. This really sucks when I’m towing my Jeep. But, for example, on my trip out to Moab UT from Atlanta it only happened once on the way out and never on the way back. That’s a lot of miles to log and only have the problem one time if you ask me. I’ve had it happen pre Airdog and post Airdog. It was at the dealer in September and they dropped the fuel tank and checked for debris and found none. He said it was a very clean tank. I then had him replace the FCA just to see if that would help. (it didn’t because it shut down on me today) You may be wondering why he didn’t just test the system. Well, because the Airdog is on the truck he refused to do the standard test for the P0145 because all the fuel pressure readings would be off. I could understand the readings being off but if you know by how much additional pressure the Airdog puts on the system you should be able to adjust for the difference in readings. But then I’m not a tech. He would only return the fuel system to a stock in tank fuel pump before running the tests. I said no way. The tech felt as though it could be one of the high pressure injector pumps. Again it seems to me if you test them all and one is different regardless of the reading not being a stock reading then the one that’s different would be the bad one. His reasoning for a bad high pressure pump was that it might take running the engine an extended period of time for it to heat up and cut out.
So I’m at a loss. It just doesn’t make sense to me that these types of problems would be continuing like this since May and not have gotten worse, and no longer throw codes. Also the truck still runs great and I’ve notice no mileage drop. My one last question would be has anyone experienced this with the Quad? I think I’m going to take it off and see what happens over the next few months. But if you guys have any ideas I would really appreciate it, I really don’t feel like just throwing money at the problem when the dealer doesn’t even want to try. Unless someone knows a really good mechanic in the Atlanta area? Please help? Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 07:18 AM

anyone?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you talked to quad about it. Maybe they have seen this before. I have the original xzilleraider and never had any problems with it.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

remove the quad.. it will stop... the quad is temporarily loosing power(internally) and the rail pressure just freezes... until you turn off the truck wait a few seconds and then restart.
mine did the same thing. call quad, talk to jeremy.. they will help you.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I would check your battery connections. There is a ground wire from the ecm that goes to the battery. Check this wire if loose or not making a good connection will cause engine to die. I was really surprized that Dodge grounded the ecm this way. Not all years have the ground wire, best to check to see if yours has it. Since your engine starts after key off without much cranking time fuel supply wouldn't be your problem.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 AM

I removed the Quad last night and I'll check the connections. I'm towing the jeep to Tellico this weekend so we'll see how she does.

I’ll probably give Quad a call after the trip this weekend. They have always been good at working problems out with me in the past. As always I really appreciate the responses.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM

What dealer did you take the truck to? Palmer Dodge?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big3500
What dealer did you take the truck to? Palmer Dodge?
Been there for one issue. Will never go back! I go to the one in Woodstock on 92 now. Normally they do pretty good but it depends also on which service guy you get. Is there anyone you recomend?
Also, the truck ran great today to Tellico and back. Fantastic weather today.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem, it was the APPS sensor. Replaced it with a Timbo01 model.....no problems since....great price and service.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 PM

I live right around the corner from Palmer Dodge. I bought by truck from them and got a good deal but their service department is not the best. That is why I go to Troncalli Dodge on Highway 9. So far I have had all good experiences with them. Both parts department and service. They are really helpful, plus they let me test drive a new 6.7 in their back lot and take it off road (kinda fun). You may want to give them a call to see if they might be able to help.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 AM

I've had the same problem but Mine won't start again for twenty minutes or so. I haven't gotten any responses from anyone. Plus I can't find my post again. Mine shuts off after about 250 miles on trip but runs good around town. Lift pump or sensor? Don't want to spend money unwisely. To test anything would actually have to drive on a long trip and have the possibility of being stranded and it may not start again at all.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM

I upgraded from the old Quad race to the new Quad race in the summer. My truck has acted the same way 4 times this year. The first time it threw a code the other 3 it did not.

Like you said you have a second or two warning, while highway driving I have just shifted to neutral, cycle the key, and back in drive without pulling over.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Had the same problem and replaced the APPS sensor and no more problem. It would loose power, shut it down and restart and go again. Took trip to Alaska and back after replacing APPS and no sign of a problem.