3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pro Comp Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro Comp Shocks

I am looking at replacing the shocks on my truck. I looked at the Rancho RS9000X adjustables and I like them alot. I have also seen some Pro Comp Shocks that are adjustable as well. They only have 5 settings unlike the Ranchos that have 9. They are not as costly but I am not sure if they are as good a quality as the Ranchos are. Anyone have any experience or info on the Pro Comps?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:36 PM

I put Pro Comp on the back of my truck and I'm not impressed. The ride is no better than stock. Granted they are not the adjustables, so I'm sure that'll make some difference.

If I had to do it all over again I'd just go directly to Bilstein. Even my wife commented on the difference when I put those on the front.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Bikinaz
I put Pro Comp on the back of my truck and I'm not impressed. The ride is no better than stock. Granted they are not the adjustables, so I'm sure that'll make some difference.

If I had to do it all over again I'd just go directly to Bilstein. Even my wife commented on the difference when I put those on the front.
Thanks for the info. Does Bilstein make adjustables? Thats one of the things I am looking at. I know Bilstein makes great shocks.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:36 PM

I don't think they do, but based on the load you're pulling I can see why you want an adjustable shock.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:14 PM

It's good to have some extra support when pulling a 10k 5ver with 1700# of pin weight. Need something to keep the bounce down. I was going down US 59 south toward Houston last month and I thought the bucking from the truck was going to throw the 5ver off my hitch.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:35 AM

Shocks are on my list as well...Rancho 9000s or Bilsteins. I had the Rancho's before and they were great. Seems like there are more posts about how awesome Bilsteins are. Are they stiffer then OEM, cuz I don't want that. I thought those things were STIFF...like wood, or someones wood. I like soft and squishy...well not too squishy, a little firm is nice, but has to be good in the curves.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

Bilstein does have shocks for the 4WD 2003+ trucks. They are not adjustable, Bilstein does not make adjustable shocks for trucks. The 2WD shocks are *still* in development..... *sigh*.

Bilstein's are best termed are firm. They aren't soft, and frankly with as much spring as we have, can't be to do the job. But they are very good over most types of very sharp bumps because of the valving and the mono-tube design which gives more shock piston surface area which makes things less crashing.

But, and this is important. Our trucks are heavy duty and meant to carry a load. Very unlike a little 1/2 ton truck. This is relavant because shocks are spring dampers. And when you have a lot of spring, you need shock control to damp it out.

Now, Bilstein does their absolute best to have a workable combination in their valving. But the same damping needed to pull and control a fifth wheel trailer isn't exactly what you'd like if you run empty all the time and a soft ride is you concern. At that point, I'd look more at an adjustable shock like a Rancho.

We sell both Rancho and Bilstein (and KYB, Koni, Edelbrock and a lot of others). A Bilstein is generally regarded as the better quality shock, but the Rancho would be the softer riding of the two if that's what you are after. But also the less controlled shock as well. Now you could turn them up and get better control when you need it, but the ride to control ratio is actually worse on a Rancho than what the Bilstein's offer.

So, if I were to lay it out in order it'd read like such:

Ride softness:
1. Rancho (either adjsutable on a soft setting, or RS5000 type shocks).
2. Roughtly a tie between Bilstein and Edelbrock. Edelbrock very slightly softer overall, but with a less control

Motion Control:
1. Bilstein
2. Edelbrock and Rancho when turned up to a higher setting (assuming adjustables).

There are somethings you want to know here.... Rancho's are twin-tube shocks, which take roughly 1/4" of shock travel to effectively damp movement both under compression and rebound. Bilstein and Edelbrock are mono-tubes which have a couple of advantages in having a larger piston area and that they start to damp within the first 1mm or so which results in more effective control without quite as aggressive valvings. Less parts to break or wear out, and the shock runs cooler, which helps seal life, and overall life of the shock and the shock oil. So, the question is what's the difference with Edebrock and Bisltein? Well, the Bilstein valve/piston system uses stacked discs (washers basically) that vary in how much the deflect depending on the shocks piston speed. How you stack the washers determines a lot of the shock's valving (the actual piston design doing the rest). The Edelbrock's piston is more cumbersome. They use a sliding valve that also opens more or less depending on speed, but does so with an actual small coil spring. Same idea between them, but I find Bilstein's generally deal with a variety of surfaces a bit better, and there is less to break. And the Bilstein's tend to cost a bit less too.

MonkeyLips case is a 'tweener... I'd like to know on what setting he tended to run the Rancho's. That would help a lot in helping to determine which shock might best suit his needs.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I do a fair amout of towing. (about once a month or so) I am looking for 3 things: Long reliable life, motion control when towing , and soft ride when unloaded. I have a few friends that all have the Ranchos and they swear by them. I have been told that they control motion in both directions unlike traditional shocks that keep constant pressure and control one way motion. I have heard and read alot about the quality of the bilstein's but wondered if their ride quality was as good as the Rancho's.

Dodge must like the ranchos because the off road package comes standard with them. I do think it's 5000 and not the 9000X's
Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by silver_goat
Thanks for the info guys!

I do a fair amout of towing. (about once a month or so) I am looking for 3 things: Long reliable life, motion control when towing , and soft ride when unloaded. I have a few friends that all have the Ranchos and they swear by them. I have been told that they control motion in both directions unlike traditional shocks that keep constant pressure and control one way motion. I have heard and read alot about the quality of the bilstein's but wondered if their ride quality was as good as the Rancho's.

Dodge must like the ranchos because the off road package comes standard with them. I do think it's 5000 and not the 9000X's

I think you just answered your own question. Adjustable shocks would likely be your best bet. That way you can have some control over how stiff they are.

I will say what you are told about "traditional" shocks only controlling one-way motion is totally untrue. All shocks damp motion in both directions because they all work by moving a piston through oil. The piston or oil doesn't magically disappear when the shock moves in one direction.... Though, I can see how one might assume this, as some shocks do damp certain movements better than others.

If had to estimate, a Bilstein would ride like a Rancho at a 1/2 to 2/3rd setting. So they will never be as soft, but you can get too soft (personal call). I'd prefer a firmer ride and better control as long as it doesn't bruise my kidneys.....

Like I said, we carry both. If you'd like more info or pricing, etc. Just drop me a line (I will say the phone is quicker and generally more reliable with me).
Old 02-20-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Sam Strano
I think you just answered your own question. Adjustable shocks would likely be your best bet. That way you can have some control over how stiff they are.

I will say what you are told about "traditional" shocks only controlling one-way motion is totally untrue. All shocks damp motion in both directions because they all work by moving a piston through oil. The piston or oil doesn't magically disappear when the shock moves in one direction.... Though, I can see how one might assume this, as some shocks do damp certain movements better than others.

If had to estimate, a Bilstein would ride like a Rancho at a 1/2 to 2/3rd setting. So they will never be as soft, but you can get too soft (personal call). I'd prefer a firmer ride and better control as long as it doesn't bruise my kidneys.....

Like I said, we carry both. If you'd like more info or pricing, etc. Just drop me a line (I will say the phone is quicker and generally more reliable with me).
Thanks Sam.

You have a PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Banned

Got it, sent one back.

Thanks,
Sam