3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ponder this

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ponder this

Down south we had a nice cold snap, so my batteries were killed this morning. Amazing what new batteries do for cranking...off topic...

Anyhow, never used to pay attention to my idle, but a few weeks ago I was sitting in major stop and go traffic and was maintaining 1200 to 1500 idle. That's when it happened, I noticed that I have a rough idle. Now it's bugging the crap out of me. Doesn't matter what the outside temp is, crank up in the morning idles nice and smooth even in the above mentioned rpms. Let it warm up and wham, the idle gets funky in those rpms and also around 1000 it gets real rough, like bad motor mount vibs. Also noticed that my powerband is lacking. If I jump on it from a stop or downshift its sluggish, on the interstate at 60mph if I punch it you feel it and it pulls hard.

Been entertaining the blow-by conundrum and not sure if I fit in that bracket. After its nice and warm take the oil cap off and a hardly visible white smoke comes out, no pressure on my hand when I cap off the hole. Look underneath and the same hardly visible smoke comes out, but not really steady. Or atleast not like the videos I've watched. Did 3 tanks of 2-stroke at 1oz per gal and now I'm on my second tank of PS.

Checked the clamps, changed the fuel/air filter, turbo intake is clean with no visual problems, need to check the backside of the turbo.

Never had a valve adjustment, think that would help? Still on original clutch, could it be slipping?

Truck has never pulled, its a hwy queen.

Since new it's been fed a diet of rot 15w40. Thinking about switching to 5w40 and something that doesn't stink as bad. Any suggestions?

Thanks for entertaining all the babble. Somehow I think its connected.

Last edited by nola; 12-18-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: content
Old 12-18-2009, 10:15 PM

I had the same problem with my truck, it is on its third set of injectors at 85k. Started the rough idleagain and i used two cans of sea foam for a ull tank of fuel and it cleared it right up. Also changed my air filter and fuel filter. I always run stanadyne when my paycheck allows but power service never took care of my idle problem.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter what else you do, you should consider filtering your fuel down to 2 microns or so............with an add on fuel filter head after the stock fuel filter. It will save your injectors.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 AM

Agree with TexasCTD

I Use a Baldwin PF7977, its a direct drop in and is much better than what Chrysler or Cummins have. I think its a 5 micron absolute and 2 micron at 98% or so efficiency. Prices are the same for them here in my town

You can go to www.baldwinfilters.com, then distributor locator and do a search, it'll tell you exactly who carries them in your city, i was surprised who all did.

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
No matter what else you do, you should consider filtering your fuel down to 2 microns or so............with an add on fuel filter head after the stock fuel filter. It will save your injectors.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM

don't believe the 2 micron filter will save your injectors., i have had a 2 micron setup on my truck for over 200k and i still have had injector problems. i have not had to change injectors as often since i installed it.i installed a 2 micron filter setup on my buddys 06 3500. when we replaced a 6 injectors.well less than 58k we replaced all 6 injector again.now he has gone and traded it in a duramax. i believe most injectors go from lack of lubrication. thats why i have since started using stanadyne and i have noticed that my truck runs better and the injectors last longer.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could your cat be plugged? do you have any weird smells coming from the exhaust how is the oil level? the valves wouldnt really matter all that much i mean they do but it isnt a huge issue unless they are way out of whack and there prolly not. the valves should be adjusted but not a major issue. i have seen clutches go crazy but it will lug down the engine or make a ton of noise if bad. does the motor seem like its keeping up and the truck just wont go anywhere? or does the motor not want to keep up thereis a big difference there.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nola
Truck has never pulled, its a hwy queen.
That its first major problem, hook 10k up to and drive the snot out of for 1000 miles and I can almost guarantee a smooth idle at rpm. Works like a charm on mine.

Originally Posted by nola
Since new it's been fed a diet of rot 15w40. Thinking about switching to 5w40 and something that doesn't stink as bad. Any suggestions?

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 15-W40 seems to be a favorite in certain circles.