3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Picked up the new truck...good mileage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Picked up the new truck...good mileage!!!

I picked up the new truck today.

2004 2500 QC 4:10's 48RE 4WD Short bed.

Left the dealer with 36 miles on it and filled up the tank, reset the overhead mileage computer and drove around for awhile.

Here's what I found:

I took the truck upto 70-72 on a decent highway to check for the 70 MPH drone.

I did hear a difference in sound, starting at 65 and continuing upto 70, then most of the noise went away at 70 and it seemed to smooth out.

There was a slight increase in steering wheel vibration in this speed band but not enough to write home about. Very little.

The noise wasn't bad either.

My opinion at this point is it's the tires. I drove a CJ-7 for 10 years and know alot about big tires and noise.

You guys with the vibration problem, I'd know it if I had it right? Because it's too subtle for me to tell right now. I think it's the tires.

Now the good part:

On the highway the mileage computer reached 17.1 and fluctuated between that and 16.5 at speeds rangeing from 58-72.

Around town, and I mean lots of stop and go at ~10-35 MPH tops, the computer dropped to ~15.5 MPG.

Now this truck is brand new, less than 95 miles now.

Based on what I've been reading here for the last 7 months I think I got a good one!

Tomorrow I've got to be on the highway for about 50 miles straight so it'll be interesting what it reads then.

DT.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:49 AM

First off, congrats on the new truck!! Aside from a few problems that some of us are having (mileage & vibes), these things are great!! I still can't believe how good they handle. I absolutely love driving mine and I'm sure you'll feel the same about yours (as if you don't already).

You didn't mention whether you got the 600 or the 555... If I'm not mistaken, the 04's have the 555 and the 04.5's have the 600... just wondering since you said the truck is an '04. If you got a 555, your mileage is typical, but if you got a 600, then yes, it sounds like you got a good one... my first tank was 12.25MPG and I now average high 13's, low 14's with an all time best of 15.25 all hand calc'd. Most of my driving is hwy, with an egg under my foot too, so yeah, you're doing great to be seeing mid to high teens already.

As far as your vibe goes, it sound like you've got a mild case of it, but not as bad as some of us. You'd know if you had it bad... mine was almost unbearable on the 80 mile (75mph) drive home from the dealership... like a helicopter was flying 10 feet above me or something. The good news is that mine has gotten significantly better lately with nearly 5K on the clock. At about 3K I removed the tranny mounted exhaust hanger and installed new tires & wheels... Not sure how much that helped (didn't notice much improvement initially), but it is a lot smoother now. It still comes and goes, but at least it's livable now.

Anyways, congrats again and enjoy the new ride!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:10 AM

Hey thanks Rigg!

Yeah I forgot to mention that's it's a 2004.5 600. Sorry about that.

Build date of 4-04.

Glad to hear your truck is smoothing out.

The only thing I'm worried about at this point is Pine tree sap around my house.

When I picked up the truck from the dealer I almost bought the Simonize treatment they apply to the interior and exterior, but I passed for now.

It's supposed to guarentee the paint against tree sap damage, etc.

I have some stuff that takes it off and it works great so I'll think about it.

They want $228 for the treatment.

Thanks again!

DT.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:57 AM

You may want to notify your dealer early about the vibe problem, if it's not the tires. The sooner you get it on record the better, if it becomes an issue later. I had an early edition 04 and the vibe (resonance) was irritating because it was at 70-75 mph. Many of my passengers did not notice it but I did and I'm sure I would have regreted it if I had to live with it. Fortunately, I was able to work with the dealer and the factory rep. to make an equitable swap for a vehicle with no vibe. I recommend you test drive a few other of the same model vehicles to see if you notice a difference in the vibe levels (especially at 70-75). It's really a case of how bad it is in any particular one. On a scale from 1-10 for my original truck "the vibration" was about an 8. I test drove several others which had significantly less vibration. I haven't noticed the problem at all in my new 04 and have driven it at all speeds up to 90 mph. I'm very happy with it.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:50 AM

Are you sure it isn't just exahust drone? I have a mild drone at about 70mph. I figure its exahust drone, and it is easily covered by turn on my favorite tunes.

I don't have any vibes, just crappy SoCal rodes.

-Sam
Old 07-22-2004, 12:19 PM

dieselnewbie

What tires do you have the Goodyear or BFG's Rugged Trail T/A?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:26 PM

I think they're the Goodyears.

Not sure tho, I'll report back later after I check it.

Old 07-22-2004, 03:06 PM

DOOOOOOOOOOO NOT!!!! let the dealership re-balance the tires. Tread squirm with new tires can??? cause a slight vibration. Tire balance does not cause a buzz in the steering wheel. Balance will cause a bouncing type vibration. If the dealership rebalances your tires, you'll never have as good a balance job as factory tire rim match balance.
I know what you're talking about with the buzz in the steering wheel feeling like a 4X4 with mudders. That's normal 2100rpm engine vibes and they will smooth out. The vibration I'm wanting fixed is there with or without the motor running 2100rpm. It should smooth out over 2100rpm. Mine instead picks up a lower frequency vibe that feels like driveshaft or differential vibes. They are two different vibes from two different sources. Trust me on this one...
Now... Congrats on your new truck!!! Sounds like a good one with only normal vibes from the engine and good mpg for brand new! I know what you mean about pine tree sap. I don't like pine trees. Oak trees don't like me (allergies) but they don't damage my truck so they're allowed on my property.
Make note of everything it does good or bad. That way if something comes up after you change something or do service, you're not like me wondering when did this start happening...
Old 07-22-2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks Hannible!

Yeah I took it upto 75 today with all the windows closed and no radio to sample the vibration and noise.

The slight vib and kind of deep noise starts at ~66 and goes away at exactly 70 and stays away upto 75, which is the fastest I've taken it so far.

So what you say sounds good to me!

I reset the mileage meter today and got right on the highway, set the Cruise Control for 60 and drove 23 miles.

It reached 19.2 MPG, and that's no BS.

I'm very happy with the truck.

About 1 year ago I found some great stuff to remove Pine tree sap, even the oldest hardest stuff and it doesn't hurt the paint, so I think I'm going to pass on the special coating put on by the dealer.

I have to put the brakes on spending for awhile.

Thanks again guy!

DT.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:20 PM

Can anyone tell me how to describe the noise or sound of a quad cab at about 30 mph or so with the back windows down about halfway ????? Is this close to a helocopter sound as someone just noted?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:32 PM

Ooooh I hate that sound. Instant headache. I thought I'd lower the rear windows one time for a little breeze without messin' up my Johnny Bravo hair-do (yeah right) and I thought my ear drums were going to burst before I got them back up. I'd agree, helicopter noise is pretty accurate.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 PM

I know that sound.

It also happens if all windows are closed and you open the passenger side rear window.

Same thing used to happened in my car.

It's a pressure differential that feels like someone is boxing your ears about 4-5 times per second.

Whenever it happens just open any other window abit and it will go away.

DT.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:23 PM

If you open both rear windows it gets WORSE - terrible headache like Hannibal said!!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:48 PM

Good to hear the mpg is getting lined out.

Let us know how the later build 04s' and 05s' are doing mpg wise and thanks.