3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P0514 Code after Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0514 Code after Jiffy Lube

Took the Truck to Jiffy Lube on Saturday, they changed the oil for me and sprayed some kind of alien purple liquid on my battery terminals...Monday morning my wife starts up said truck, and check engine light comes on, throws a P0514 at me...What exactly is battery temp sensor rationality, and did JL's purple mystery potion cause it???
Old 01-21-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
common problems with our trucks. mine has had that code since day one. the engine light should not come on with that code, though. the only way i know i have that code, is when i check for codes. there is some sensor/plug under one of the batteries-that triggers that code. some guys have cleaned up the plug/sensor and the code went away. i read another post on here-i think-saying the dealer has a flash for that code now.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

I doubt it, there is an updated flash to fix that code. It originates for different temp readings on multiple sensors, essentially different sensors should be seeing close to the same temp but one of the sensors see one reading out of parameter so it sets the P0514. Its really not a big deal and it will not harm your truck.

Tim
Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 PM

The purple stuff is anti-corrosion spray that they sprayed on your battery. It is a good thing. You are fortunate, most places won't do that for free.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Talking P0514 Code

My truck had the Check Gages Light turn on this past weekend. The light would not turn off and I check for the Code and it was P0514. Well I took it to the Dealer today and he did an updated flash on the PCM. That took care of the problem and the dealer turned on the High Idle option for me at no charge. I have a real good dealership that works with me on my Truck. I have learned so much about my Truck from this Web Site. This is the best place to check out about any problems with your Truck. This Site is GREAT!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by VTMiner
Took the Truck to Jiffy Lube on Saturday, they changed the oil for me and sprayed some kind of alien purple liquid on my battery terminals...Monday morning my wife starts up said truck, and check engine light comes on, throws a P0514 at me...What exactly is battery temp sensor rationality, and did JL's purple mystery potion cause it???
NEVER take your truck, or any other vehicle to JL or any of those oil change places. I've heard so many bad things about those places you wouldn't believe. They hire the morons that are too dumb to get a job at WalMart or a fast-food place.

Nick
Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 PM

i personally would not go there either. i don't trust anybody to change my own oil but me- it only take 20 minutes to do. plus, when i do it- i know the oil filter is on correctly, the correct amount of oil is in the engine and that the oil cap was put back on. doing my own maintenance equals peace of mind!

Trending Topics

Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by rjm022
i personally would not go there either. i don't trust anybody to change my own oil but me- it only take 20 minutes to do. plus, when i do it- i know the oil filter is on correctly, the correct amount of oil is in the engine and that the oil cap was put back on. doing my own maintenance equals peace of mind!
Or if you don't have time to do it yourself, take it too a repair shop that you trust. It will take longer and cost more, but engine re-builds cost much more; take much longer.

Nick
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM

A jiffy Lube Horror story....My cousin has a 2001 Chevy Blazer 4X4. He took it to a Baltimore, MD area Jiffy lube for an oil change. After working on his truck for 15-20 minutes, a high school aged kid came in with alleged samples of fluids from his vehicle indicating the need for a transmission filter/fluid change and a cooling system flush. He had them perform the cooling system flush and 30 minutes later, he was on his way. He got approx. 8 miles away in light city traffic when the truck started shaking/rattling, etc......He pulled over to find steam billowing out from under the hood. Popped the hood and found the radiator cap was missing and all the coolant boiled out. Had the truck towed to a his repair shop where he got the bad news that his motor was blown. He went back to jiffy lube and they refused to acknowledge that they forgot to put the cap on. The cap was nowhere to be found in engine compartment. Now I would have had to take whatever course possible up to suing Jiffy Lube, but he couldn't afford to be without a car for any length of time and his $$$ was limited so he had to use whatever $$$ he had to buy a Jasper rebuilt engine.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM

And my second story comes from a Jiffy Lube in Glen Burnie, MD that tried to get my wife for $130 for a supposed engine flush. Our Jeep Liberty was brand new and my wife took it to the Jiffy Lube for it's 2nd oil change (around 4000 total miles) The tech tried to come in and show my wife some very dirty oil and said the needed to have the engine flushed to remove contaminants......She called me and I demanded to speak to the tech. He tried telling me the same B.S. and I called him up on the fact that the Liberty was only 5 months old and that it was only it's 2nd oil change and that I felt he was trying to take advantage of my wife and her lack of automotive knowledge.......and asked to speak to manager. He said the tech confused vehicles and gave us the oil change for free. But I will NOT deal with another Jiffy Lube or anyother drive thru oil change service ever again.....
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM

My brother worked at a well known quick lube shop. Here is what they were told to do. Not change filters, customer would pay for synthetic oil and get dino oil, the list goes on. My brother quit working there, could not take the dishonesty.
I personally will not use them. DIY

Boris
Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM

jiffy lube is a NO NO! buy an oil pan and do it yourself.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 AM

This may be a dumb question but oh well. How do you guys check for error codes? I have an 01 (I know I need to do the signature thing, I'll get to it) that smokes a lot when it is cold and I was told it may be the Engine Speed Sensor but I have nothing to check for error codes. Any advice?