3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

p0148 code the truck still runs pretty well except fuel consumption up

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p0148 code the truck still runs pretty well except fuel consumption up

I have been seeing the code for over a month now, I was too busy until a couple days ago to address it.

Power is off just a little. I put in a new fuel filter and cleaned up the air filter and removed the module just to rule those out. I have cleared the code several times but the code returns within several minutes of driving, particularly when I get near 2000 rpm.

Fuel consumption is up pretty significantly, miles per gallon has dropped from 21 to approximately 17-18, hand calculated.

Since the truck still runs smoothly and power loss is marginal, does that rule out lift pump failure? If it was the beginning of lift pump failure or blocked return line, would not that decrease fuel consumption, not increase it? Same thing if the screen in the fuel tank is partially blocked, would not that tend to decrease fuel consumption due to it leaning out?

I have been told by a mechanic friend that most likely it is leaky injectors. That is what the technician at the Dodge dealership thought, based upon my telephone description of the above.

I know that I need to have them do the fuel flow test to see if the volume over 10 seconds meets the 570 milliliter requirement. Apparently that requires blocking off the injectors and the whole process takes several hours and specialized equipment.

I wonder if I should just go ahead and get 30 hp injectors with the expectation that the problem is injectors since I would like to upgrade the injectors anyway? BUt that is so expensive, and I suspect injectors should be covered under my 5 year 100k warranty I had transferred from original owner (assuming injectors are the problem).

Any thoughts on this situation? Thank you
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to get that code before I had injector rebuilt, and always thought it was my TST. Since the rebuild it hasn't come back yet. Not sure if a corrilation or now. You could have warrenty work but they only replace the one that is defective is that is the case. If it is one they all need rebuilt has been my experiencey. I have also had friends experience the "new" injectors are bad in short order.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM

thanks- so how long can I safely let injectors go until several are bad so several will be replaced at once?

And I guess I need to have flow test done anyway just in case it is indeed a lift pump or similar going out...
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
P0148 High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) Fueling Error Checksum

That's what the code means. If it is under warranty, Let them fix them. Just make sure you have a fleetguard fuel filter in the can......LOL Otherwise I would just let Don M fix them and upgrade the tips at the same time.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 PM

From what I read and my own experience they will all go bad eventually if you put fuel in with out any additional additive and using the stock filtration system. Likely they will all fail after warranty. If they are bad and its not something else. The dealer will likely find 1 or 2 bad and the rest starting to fail or in spec on the low side and won't replace them. The damage is already done. From all that I have read and I am just had mine repaired so can't validate but from reptiable sources, you need an additive that adds lube and removes water, as ULSD is prone to collecting moisture but not enough to trip the sensor in the truck. This causes allge to build up. You will need to obtain a better water seperator and fuel filter that goes to 2 micron. The common consensus from what I read is better filtertration and an additive should protect them long term.

Mine started having issues about 98k. Got worse over time. Finally at 150k I had them rebuilt and lucked out and they where rebuildable. If they go bad enough to crack it could cost your a motor and a new injector. if you can have them rebuilt it will be cheaper.

My suggestion would be to go to the BHO/FIAT place that isn't there to help your and have them test and replace any that are bad, if that is the case. So you have the newest cores for rebuilding. Will likely be #1 or #5 or #6. Then get better filtration system(2 micron) and water seperator. Then run a good additive that dries the fuel and lubricates it. You IP will last longer too.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM

thanks for great advice- I am running a stadnard filter- need to upgrade to 2 micron... I use optilube but quit for several months then the code came up...

I have 70k on it right now, warranty til 100k

Maybe I should take it to the diesel performance place over in Loganville GA, they are the best shop around...
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Your welcome hope is help. If they are reputable and know how to do the back flow test and such it might be cheaper to have them confirm so you got some ammo when going to the Dealer.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Dealer ended up running flow test and determined fuel control valve (I think that is the valve name) had gone bad, they replaced under warranty, I get the truck in the morning. I asked them to give it a good test drive since I have a 1000 mile trip this weekend- they did and said it ran well, no code...