3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Once again hard start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I feel much better. I just ordered the Quadzilla Rail Pressure Gauge with the LP Fuel Pressure add-on kit. $223.02 which includes overnite delivery. It'll be on my truck by Friday nite. So, this weekend, I'll have the true story of what's happening. All I'll have to do is bite the bullet, sell the Harley (NOT!!!!) and by the injectors. Pull 'em out, stick 'em in....be done!! Ha ha ha,we are ALL in denial. Hi, my name is Curtis, I own a Cummins.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM

I will be interested to know what your gauges told you...exactly what is involved with replacing the injectors???
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 PM

My 03 already had an ecm update done on it when I bought it and it Starts fine 9 out of 10 times. But my dads 06 is stock and its almost hard to start every time even after new fuel and filter.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cwoodall
OK, I feel much better. I just ordered the Quadzilla Rail Pressure Gauge with the LP Fuel Pressure add-on kit. $223.02 which includes overnite delivery. It'll be on my truck by Friday nite. So, this weekend, I'll have the true story of what's happening. All I'll have to do is bite the bullet, sell the Harley (NOT!!!!) and by the injectors. Pull 'em out, stick 'em in....be done!! Ha ha ha,we are ALL in denial. Hi, my name is Curtis, I own a Cummins.
So, where are teh updates?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 AM

OK, OK.........I'm still limping it along. The fuel pressures all seemed to check out OK. I haven't gotten any injectors yet, but I'm thinking what the heck. If I install all 6 injectors and the problem still exists...........I'll drink myself into oblivion. I may have 2 overnited to me. I just can't see all of them being bad due to the fact that once started, everything is fine. There should be a government program providing aid to 2003+ Dodge owners. I am a little worried that when I pull the valve cover off, all 6 will look the same and I won't choose the proper one, or two........well, maybe I just buy 3 now, and 3 next pay period..........I AM ready to get back on the problem and get it fixed. Weather has been good so I ride my Harley a lot these days.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

OK, OK.........I'm still limping it along. The fuel pressures all seemed to check out OK. I haven't gotten any injectors yet, but I'm thinking what the heck. If I install all 6 injectors and the problem still exists...........I'll drink myself into oblivion. I may have 2 overnited to me. I just can't see all of them being bad due to the fact that once started, everything is fine. There should be a government program providing aid to 2003+ Dodge owners. I am a little worried that when I pull the valve cover off, all 6 will look the same and I won't choose the proper one, or two........well, maybe I just buy 3 now, and 3 next pay period..........I AM ready to get back on the problem and get it fixed. Weather has been good so I ride my Harley a lot these days.

What were teh fuel pressure's? LP? IP?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:10 PM

LP pressure was 14 with only a 1 psi drop when getting on it. During cranking, the CR HP pressure would go from 0-2400 in about 5 seconds and fire up, at which time it idled at about 5000 psi. When driving in town, depending on acceleration needs, it would go from about 7000 - 15,000 psi......sometimes a bit higher under load. That kind of makes me feel that everything upstream of the common rail itself is OK. At the rail, we have the fuel pressure sensor, the fuel pressure releif valve, and the injectors. Since pressures were about what seems normal, I suspect the pressure sensor is OK. What I really need to do , and I'm going to, is run a fuel return test from the banjo bolt on the back side of the fuel filter canister. That should show me how much fuel is returning from the injectors. If it's a s___load more than what spec calls for, then there it is....injector (s). Now, that being said, if I could get a plug fitting to block off the metal fuel feed line at the head, I could actually run the fuel return flow test, blocking off each injector 1 at a time to isolate the leaky one (s)....I hate all this.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

LP pressure was 14 with only a 1 psi drop when getting on it. During cranking, the CR HP pressure would go from 0-2400 in about 5 seconds and fire up, at which time it idled at about 5000 psi. When driving in town, depending on acceleration needs, it would go from about 7000 - 15,000 psi......sometimes a bit higher under load. That kind of makes me feel that everything upstream of the common rail itself is OK. At the rail, we have the fuel pressure sensor, the fuel pressure releif valve, and the injectors. Since pressures were about what seems normal, I suspect the pressure sensor is OK. What I really need to do , and I'm going to, is run a fuel return test from the banjo bolt on the back side of the fuel filter canister. That should show me how much fuel is returning from the injectors. If it's a s___load more than what spec calls for, then there it is....injector (s). Now, that being said, if I could get a plug fitting to block off the metal fuel feed line at the head, I could actually run the fuel return flow test, blocking off each injector 1 at a time to isolate the leaky one (s)....I hate all this.

Sounds like you have a killer plan set up. Do you know what the return rate is? I am asking cuz have no idea, and if you do, where did you find out that info if I may ask? Or, do you still need to track it down yourself?

It does sound like your rail pressure is a little low at fire up. It is my understanding taht to fire them off it needs to be @ 3-5K PSI. Again, I am not for sure on that, and maybe you already know, but it seems that if it takes 3-5K PSI to fire the injectors off, and you are at 0-2500 after 5 seconds of crank time?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:10 PM

There is a fitting that replaces the banjo bolt on the back side of the fuel filter canister. I'm trying to locate one. It allows the fuel returning from the injector return passages integral to the head to flow out of a barbed hose connection (via hose) and into a jar. I may have to make one if I can't find one. Anyway, once the truck is started and running you slide an empty jar under the hose exit and time off 1 minute. If the amount of fuel you have collected is 180 mL (6 ounces) or less, the injectors are fine as far as return flow goes. If it is more than 6 ounces, there is 1 or more injectors returning more than there should be. That's where it gets tricky trying to isolate injectors to find the culprit(s). But I believe it's a good test to perform. People always talk about "Sticking" injectors and "injector leak by" and I think that excess return flow is indicative of that. But who knows........BTW, I got the info from a site called ALLDATA.com

I signed up for a year or like $15, but it has all the service data and diagnostic info that the hardcopy service manual has (i don't have a service manual....yet).
Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

There is a fitting that replaces the banjo bolt on the back side of the fuel filter canister. I'm trying to locate one. It allows the fuel returning from the injector return passages integral to the head to flow out of a barbed hose connection (via hose) and into a jar. I may have to make one if I can't find one. Anyway, once the truck is started and running you slide an empty jar under the hose exit and time off 1 minute. If the amount of fuel you have collected is 180 mL (6 ounces) or less, the injectors are fine as far as return flow goes. If it is more than 6 ounces, there is 1 or more injectors returning more than there should be. That's where it gets tricky trying to isolate injectors to find the culprit(s). But I believe it's a good test to perform. People always talk about "Sticking" injectors and "injector leak by" and I think that excess return flow is indicative of that. But who knows........BTW, I got the info from a site called ALLDATA.com

I signed up for a year or like $15, but it has all the service data and diagnostic info that the hardcopy service manual has (i don't have a service manual....yet).

Hey cool. By the way, was that you that sent me a PM looking for the Service Manual? Did you ever go to that link I told you about. I think I figured it out on how to send it, send me another PM with your email, and I can try and send you the service manual.