3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Once again hard start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again hard start

I need help. I've posted before on this with little responce.

I have hard starting problems. Been to dealer 6 times so far for the same reason.

1st time replaced ECM, dash cluster, Sensor for keyless entry.
2nd Hud, reprogramed keyless entry, checked for codes
3rd replaced fuel pressure relief valve, tightened cross over tubes flow test injectors
4th replaced intake map sensor, replaced FCA valve on injection pump tested grid heaters.
last 2 times cant find anything.

I replaced fuel filter because it wouldnt start. Truck started right away. 1 week later and new fuel, truck starting hard again. I know all about bad fuel I work as a heavy equipment mech. Stuff I work on is not like my truck.

Where can I tap into a line to check my lift pump and what is the pressure suppose to be. Any help would be nice at this point.

2003 Quad cab auto 94000 miles No modds now
Took out the edge W/att until this is all fixed.

Best kick to groin is dealer will only give me 18500 for trade in
03 Larmie with all bells and whistles Leather topper running boards sprayin 35" tires 43000 for a new one I think that is high.

Come on guys help me out here.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:36 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I am fairly new here and really dont know anything but what I have read. However, I have seen many-many posts with the same starting problem and almost all of them resulted in the person having to get a new lift pump. Seems to be a real problem with the stock 03 LP. These guys have convinced me to get a new one from Glacier before mine goes out.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One or more leaky injectors will cause hard starting issues. The rail pressure will be below spec for starting.
Have the dealer monitor the rail pressure with the DRBIII scan tool.

MikeyB
Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Dont mean to sound rude but they did do a injecter flow test that is how they found out the cross over tubes were leaking and the relief valve had popped. They also have to do some sort of flow test for the FCA valve. I talked to the mech. my self and asked him if he did a test on the lift pump and he said it was in the correct range. I going to drop my tank and clean it and I wanted to really know how and were i can tap in to the line after the lift pump to test the pressure. Truck runs and starts good after a new filter but a few days go by and longer and longer start times until it wont start. Until i replace the filter again. Ive tryed all kinds of filters also give it a week or 2 then back to square one. Change it and go. I have a pressure gauge but dont know were to hook it up.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 PM
BPM

Location: Shreveport LA for 10 days at a time, Groveton TX the rest
On my 03 I placed the sending unit for my electronic pressure gauge on the line between the fuel bowl and the cp3. If I remember correctly it's the bottom of the two going to the injection pump as the top is a return line. There is a section of the line that is rubber so I just got some fittings from Home Depot and put a tee in the line. My fuel pressure at idle is around 8 psi and normally it won't drop below 5 unless I really get on it with a load.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks i will try that. It would be nice to get this fixed if it tests low i will replace it pump. Then hopfully this will be the last thing i need to do. 1st of the year im buying a new one.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mopig
Dont mean to sound rude but they did do a injecter flow test that is how they found out the cross over tubes were leaking and the relief valve had popped. They also have to do some sort of flow test for the FCA valve. I talked to the mech. my self and asked him if he did a test on the lift pump and he said it was in the correct range. I going to drop my tank and clean it and I wanted to really know how and were i can tap in to the line after the lift pump to test the pressure. Truck runs and starts good after a new filter but a few days go by and longer and longer start times until it wont start. Until i replace the filter again. Ive tryed all kinds of filters also give it a week or 2 then back to square one. Change it and go. I have a pressure gauge but dont know were to hook it up.

I'm wondering if your lift pump is really weak. I know they tested it but I'd think that's your problem. You get a little bit of junk in the filter and the lift pump can't push thru.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:51 PM

I was just outside i drained my oil for the first time since this started it was about a qt high but it didnt smell like fuel. Checked my antifreeze good, drained my fuel filter and cleaned housing little bit of gunk in the bottom. Had my kid turn key on while i watched the housing fill up it took about 6 seconds to fill up without the filter in place. That seems slow but i could be wrong. Filter was just like new but i still have a long start even after priming the system. Need to get a reading on the pump side.

New ???? Would I get fuel in my oil if the cross over tubes were leaking??? Like i said I have not changed my oil since the Pressure relief popped and tubes were leaking.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 AM

i am having the exact same problem, i changed the transfer pump and it made no difference. if i change the fuel filter it starts right up for a day or two. Pm me i would like to keep in touch to see if either one of us can find the problem. My dealer did the rail test and said it looked good but his gues is their is a bad injector bleeding off after I shut the truck off. i hope not because injectors are very expensive. I have 135,000 miles on mine so I am out of warranty.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:08 AM

Could install one of these to monitor the lift pump and rail pressure.
http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/qurestraprga.html

I believe the rail pressure needs to be at or above 5k psi during starting.

MikeyB
Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 AM

mopig,

I have a 2003 also........exact same problem...I did install a FASS 95 pump. It didn't fix the problem. As much as I want to be in denial, I have a strong suspicion that I have injector #1 on it's way out. I get a tapping sound at idle and when I "feel" each metal injector supply line, I notice a distinct pulsation from the #1 line and not from the others. My thinking is that it is bleeding down the rail pressure when I shut her down. The problem is more pronounced when I have driven 15-20 miles. It starts easier in the morning...?? It's weird. I am going to install the Quadzilla Fuel Pressure Gauge kit so I will know the lift pump pressure and the injection pressure. I believe that knowing both of these, especially the injection pressure, will help isolate the problem. I'm torn between trying to buy 1 injector or a whole set. I'll post as I find new info. (BTW, I also have already pulled the FCA and removed the piston, cleaned it and got it operating smoothly, cleaned out the fuel separator canister) - Curtis
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Update: If you don't want to purchase a rail gauge there's another way to check the pressure by using a VOM. Going through my notes it appears at idle the voltage is around 1.39v on the rail pressure sensor.

MikeyB
Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 AM

Seems like I saw a listing somewhere that linked that voltage to approximate fuel pressures. I suppose you ground one probe and pierce one of the wires from the rail fuel pressure sensor..??....know which wire right offhand??? - Curtis
Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM

I believe the pink/black stripe wire.

MikeyB
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Mine is not starting again, I do not understand why changing the Fuel filter makes it start for a couple of days. Where is the best place to get injectors. at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Once again hard start