3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ok Here Goes, 20k Oil Change Due Which Syn Oil ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any syn oil will give great service if has correct cert. The engine will never complain. Would stay away from 5-30w though.
An again I say. Any syn oil or dino oil will give great service if has correct API Service Grade and viscosity for temp. The engine will never complain. Would stay away from 5-30w though unless in appropiate temp range.
We spend far to much time mulling virtually unprovable notions. Many dollars are spent to little avail in the end. Invest in an oil analysis some time.

Last edited by dozer12216; 02-20-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: corection
Old 02-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tx270
Prove it.....
Its not hard to prove that the Group IV synthetic oil I use is better then Group III oil that Rotella synthetic is made from.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Its not hard to prove that the Group IV synthetic oil I use is better then Group III oil that Rotella synthetic is made from.
Not trying to provoke an argument, but I notice a lot of Amsoil users maintaining that their oil is always better than most because it is Group IV. Just because an oil is Group IV does not mean that there will always be better results than other oils. There are too many factors involved. You firmly state that your oil is better than others (Rotella Synthetic), honestly where is your proof?
For what its worth, I used to be a strong Amsoil advocate- until I got my uoa results back...Delo 400 gave me better results in leaps and bounds.
I have emailed Cummins in the past and they always come back with the same reply- "we only recommend 40 weight", or "our engines are designed to run on 40 weight" Why would you use something that is not recommended?
If your HDD 5W30 is so good, lets see some UOA proof to back it up!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM

You may not like my 5w30 HDD oil but what I use is much better then Rotella 5w40 synthetic.
Also, not everyone is going to like your choice in whichever product you use- but don't tell others flat out that what you are using is better than what they are using!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Ok, then do it...

I never said my rotella was better than yours, so I have nothing to prove. It's all on you.
I do know several uoa's I've read with Rotella syn have always come back good, actually very good.
I just get tired of off-the-cuff comments backed by personal opnion and nothing else and try to knock others choices.

Bill
Old 02-20-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by tx270
Ok, then do it...

I never said my rotella was better than yours, so I have nothing to prove. It's all on you.
I do know several uoa's I've read with Rotella syn have always come back good, actually very good.
I just get tired of off-the-cuff comments backed by personal opnion and nothing else and try to knock others choices.

Bill
Same here...
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM

I will admit that I was wrong in how I wrote it, I should of worded it like this: what I use I think is much better then Rotella 5w40 synthetic. BTW, I've used Rotella 5w40 Synthetic oil, don't like it and the reason why I use Amsoil. I know many think Rotella is the King of oil, well I don't but its JMHO after using it.

Heck even the mechanic who changed out the oil when I had Rotella in it asked what oil I used as he noticed how much quieter the engine was with the new oil he just installed and that surprised me. He was surprised that oil he changed out was Rotella synthetic 5w40 and that it had just 3280 miles on it.

FYI, I did a UOA at when I changed oil after 7000 miles, the report came back and showed my TBN was at 10.01, so I think the oil is holding up in my engine. BTW, I will also do a UOA come spring to see how it held up in the cold -24 below temps we've had this winter and I'll post it for all to see.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:41 PM

Just switched to Scheaffer's supreme 9000 5-40. So don't have any real results yet.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM

I just love a good healthy debate, and I love stirring the caldron. Remember He said, I said, they said, I seen, I felt, ect are not scientific. Do a EOA for your own info. If you follow manufactures recommendations and use proper API grade you will have excellent results. One more item: What works for one person may be wrong for another due to different operating conditions, that is why manufactures make recommendations to cover as many possibilities as possible. Remember the thread on many oil analysis. Be informed not prejudiced
Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM

I will admit that I was wrong in how I wrote it, I should of worded it like this: what I use I think is much better then Rotella 5w40 synthetic. BTW, I've used Rotella 5w40 Synthetic oil, don't like it and the reason why I use Amsoil. I know many think Rotella is the King of oil, well I don't but its JMHO after using it.

Heck even the mechanic who changed out the oil when I had Rotella in it asked what oil I used as he noticed how much quieter the engine was with the new oil he just installed and that surprised me. He was surprised that oil he changed out was Rotella synthetic 5w40 and that it had just 3280 miles on it.

FYI, I did a UOA at when I changed oil after 7000 miles, the report came back and showed my TBN was at 10.01, so I think the oil is holding up in my engine. BTW, I will also do a UOA come spring to see how it held up in the cold -24 below temps we've had this winter and I'll post it for all to see.
No harm, no foul.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Fair enough.

For what its worth I DO like Amsoil and use it in my transfer case and tranny. Used it in my engine for a while (15/40 AME) but here Rotella Syn is so much easier to find and about 5 bucks a gal. cheaper. Could tell no difference in my truck as far as quietness. Doesn't burn a drop of Rotella syn in 7500 to 8000 mile intervals, and thats with a fair portion of pulling cattle trailers loaded with cows and pulling my hay tractor around from job to job. Sometimes gross well over 20k loaded.
Your temp conditions are very different from mine. Don't think I could feel warm and fuzzy inside running loaded in the 100 F summer heat and 70% humidity with 5w30 in the pan. Propably wouldn't hurt anything, just couldn't make myself do it.

Bill
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Banned

royal purple!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 AM

MAN DID I STIR SOMETHING UP OR WHAT ???
It is amazing how much you read that one is better than the other one but when it really comes down to it......how much different is there in all the "BIG" names ROTELLA/AMSOIL/ROYAL PURPLE/VALVOLINE
I am a big believer in the synthetics and I'll pay more to keep from relying on foreign oil just got to sit back and "listen" or "read" the debate as it forges on
Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 PM

tx270,

Last summer we had many days of 75-90% humidity and an few at 100% humidity and temps up to near 100 degree, but it held up just find as per the UOA. Now if I was grossing 25-35K all day long then I would most likely be using 15w40 but so far the occasional trailer weights around 8500 lbs I've not had any problems. I'm not sure if we got a bunch of bad regular Rotella in my area, but I heard this fall (about 6 months after I had changed out the 5w40) from several Farmers that they have stopped using it as they said it was not holding up very well in there tractors and are now buying John Deere oil. If it works well in yours thats great.

JMHO
Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Perhaps because they were running the new wonder cj-4 oil in older engines designed for CI oil? I personally wouldn't run cj-4 oil in my daughters tricycle unless it required ulsd and the warranty and particulate filter would clog if I didn't.

Quick Reply: Ok Here Goes, 20k Oil Change Due Which Syn Oil ???