3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil . Pennzoil 15w 40 long life?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if there was a reason for no one mentioning the quality of or about any problems with Valvoline Premium Blue. Thats what I've always run and am under the impression that its is CI-4 rated now(though I would still check the bottle). I also thought that it is what has been put in at the factory for quite some time. But I could be way off.

Just Curious,

Mike
Old 04-04-2005, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by joel
I won't ever use Pennzoil again.

Had a 91 Explorer. I used Pennzoil for every oil change from new and changed every ~3000 miles. One day, the oil guage reads 0. Take it to the local shop (about a mile or so) figuring the guage was wrong. Nope - they open the drain plug and just a few drops dribble out. First thing they asked is, "Do you use Pennzoil?". Oh-oh. So, I tow it to another place that has more capacity, tell them the sequence of events and they say, "have you been using Pennzoil in this vehicle?" Crap. They give me a couple of options and say the can fix it, but I'd be better off at XYZ shop. So, off it goes to that shop. Same thing:

"Have you been using Pennzoil?"
" Yep, why does everyone ask me that?"
"Pennzoil uses a parrafin base that builds up over time."

Now, I'm not an engineer or anything, and I know oil parrafin isn't wax like candle parrafin, but when 3 different shops and 5 or 6 techs ask/say the same exact thing, I have to give it some credibility.

At the final shop, they had to lift the engine, remove the oil pan (I'm still hoping it was just a bad pressure sensor, or maybe pump) to resolve the problem. Once the pan came off, they found a SOLID 1 1/2" of crap in the bottom of the pan. It covered the drain hole, so no oil could come out and was caked on the pump, too, though they said they thought it was still pumping oil and the engine should be OK (it was). They replaced the pump while it was exposed. To get the crap out of the pan, they had to use a chisel and hammer and chip away at it. I was there and saw the process - that stuff was rock solid.

I don't know - maybe that's the same with all oils, but for me, I'll never use Pennzoil again.
Same problem with Penzoil in our Ford F150,we got the truck used with all the reciepts and all the oil changes were done @ Penzoil instant oil change,well one day the gauge started to fludder and go to zero,shut if of for a while and it be ok for a while,finally thought the oil pump was bad took it in the oil pan was full of sludge and big peices of what looked like carbon,paper thin,it was being sucked up into the screen,well had a new pump and oil pan put on and a year later it started doing it again,same problem took pan off and pieces of this carbon like stuf was falling from the top part of the engine,cleaned it out and good to go,I am sure the top of the engine is caked with this stuff,but I have been changing the oil every 1100 miles and hopefully it will clean itself out.
Will never use Penzoil..
Old 04-04-2005, 03:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bluebull
Hey, I like Mac Donalds
Have you seen the movie "Super Size Me" yet?

I have taken my truck to the dealer the first two oil changes. I stood right in the bay and watched the guy do it and put in the Mopar oil and my own Cummins bought Fleetguard Stratopore Filter. But, I am changing my own tomorrow (today) and im going to try the Shell Rotella T. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. Wish me luck. Walmart had it and as I went back and forth about which one to go with before I even read this thread........I saw the Rotella and decided that was the one. I am sure the Delo and Pennzoil etc. etc. are all fine.....especially with a regular oil and filter change. I am going every 5000.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:01 PM

I remember seeing this problem in a haliburton Ford f250 in 84. There was sludge under the intake ontop of the lifters. That was a oil field work truck with texaco and god knows what else run in it. I dont know what could cause this but i found this.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=110883&page=1

You got me on this one.