3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil . Pennzoil 15w 40 long life?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil . Pennzoil 15w 40 long life?

We have run penzoil 15w 40 long life diesel in our trucks ( international 466s ) for the last 12 years. most of the shops in our area also use it. would delvac or rotella be better. Would synthetic at 100,000 mi plus hurt . thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM

I use Delvac in mine and have used it in most of my vehicles over the past 18 years. I think it is superior to other petrolium oils.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 PM

Delo 400 has a superior base oil to Delvac, whereas Delvac makes up for it with a somewhat more robust additive package. Now that CI4+ Delo is out with moly, I would give the nod to Delo for the time being as being about the best dino oil out there all around. Nothing really wrong with PZ LL either, but it is probably a small step behind Delo and Delvac when you boil it all down.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Banned

I won't ever use Pennzoil again.

Had a 91 Explorer. I used Pennzoil for every oil change from new and changed every ~3000 miles. One day, the oil guage reads 0. Take it to the local shop (about a mile or so) figuring the guage was wrong. Nope - they open the drain plug and just a few drops dribble out. First thing they asked is, "Do you use Pennzoil?". Oh-oh. So, I tow it to another place that has more capacity, tell them the sequence of events and they say, "have you been using Pennzoil in this vehicle?" Crap. They give me a couple of options and say the can fix it, but I'd be better off at XYZ shop. So, off it goes to that shop. Same thing:

"Have you been using Pennzoil?"
" Yep, why does everyone ask me that?"
"Pennzoil uses a parrafin base that builds up over time."

Now, I'm not an engineer or anything, and I know oil parrafin isn't wax like candle parrafin, but when 3 different shops and 5 or 6 techs ask/say the same exact thing, I have to give it some credibility.

At the final shop, they had to lift the engine, remove the oil pan (I'm still hoping it was just a bad pressure sensor, or maybe pump) to resolve the problem. Once the pan came off, they found a SOLID 1 1/2" of crap in the bottom of the pan. It covered the drain hole, so no oil could come out and was caked on the pump, too, though they said they thought it was still pumping oil and the engine should be OK (it was). They replaced the pump while it was exposed. To get the crap out of the pan, they had to use a chisel and hammer and chip away at it. I was there and saw the process - that stuff was rock solid.

I don't know - maybe that's the same with all oils, but for me, I'll never use Pennzoil again.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 AM

Something tells me they were not really changing your oil when you were paying them to.

There is nothing wrong with Pennzoil, I have used it in my vehicles many times and have never had a problem with it, I have also never had an engine build up sludge because I have always changed my oils.

Jiffy lubes are owned by Pennzoil and they service millions of cars per day.

I know of a Shell station that was charging for oil changes but never did change the oil in the cars it was servicing.

Just think 30 dollars for a service, maybe they change your oil filter maybe they don't if it looks clean, they pretend to put in some oil and you drive off thinking they changed it.

What a deal for them, pure profit on the parts when no filter is changed and only a hit of maybe two or three dollars for the price of the filter and one quart of oil if they change the filter.

Where ever you were getting your oil changed at I would not go back there, but I would not be afraid to use Pennzoil as long as you are following a change pattern like you state.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 AM

joel, thanks for the input on pennzoil, if I switch over to delo 400 or delvac Iwonder if that would be bad for my engines , as far as mixing oils or the anything caked to the pan getting lose in the system.
I have heard in the past not to mix detergent motor oil with syn. or sludge will develop due to the mixing. Does any one recomend changing all my trucks over to mobil 1 or some other syn. now , even though they have 60,000 to 120,000 miles. we have several dump trucks with 466s and several gassers w 429s. Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 11:56 AM

LOL, here we go, now we are going to hear all the Pennzoil is bad stories about how it clogs up your engine, LOL, gee I can't tell you haw many times I heard this same story with regards to those who don't believe in Mobile One and how they would claim the same thing would happen to engines running Mobile One.

It all boils down to if you maintain your engine or not, You say you have been using Pennzoil for what? 11 years?

If Pennzoil has worked for 11 years why change now? Is it to expensive? I don't think that would be the problem if you are asking about going to Mobile One.

Look I doubt very many over the road or even construction vehicles are using Mobil One, Amsoil or any of the other high dollar oils, most all of them are using the Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac and yes even Pennzoil.

Face it when you have to start changing out gallons of oil each time you change the cost adds up real quick and there is really no extra benefit if you are maintaining your change schedules.

Stick with what you have used for years if you have not had any engine problems that are traced back to bad oil.

Heck I can buy Chevron Delo for 6.96 a gallon at Walmart, where as the Mobil One or in this case Mobil SUV oil will cost me over 20 dollars for the same gallon, so that means to change my oil in my Cummins I can do it on my own with a Fleetguard filter and three gallons of Chevron Delo for about 32.00 dollars, or I can buy Mobil SUV and it will cost me about 76.00 dollars.

You do the math, Cummins says the oil needs to be changed on their schedule of either 7500 miles or 15000 miles.

Save your money and buy what you have used in the past or switch over to the Chevron Delo, it is priced right and it is very good oil.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DodgeRam3500
Something tells me they were not really changing your oil when you were paying them to.

Where ever you were getting your oil changed at I would not go back there, but I would not be afraid to use Pennzoil as long as you are following a change pattern like you state.
Most of the changes I did myself. Others were done at the local quickee change place where I watched the process. So I know the oil was changed every single time.

Originally poster by DodgeRam3500
LOL, here we go, now we are going to hear all the Pennzoil is bad stories about how it clogs up your engine, LOL, gee I can't tell you haw many times I heard this same story with regards to those who don't believe in Mobile One and how they would claim the same thing would happen to engines running Mobile One.
Only relaying my single experience. Up until that incident, I had been using Pennzoil for years. With no problems like the one I described. And I would have chocked it up to... well, I don't know, but with 3 different people asking if I used Pennzoil with only a description of the symptoms, I have to give it some credibility.

You make your own choices, I made mine. I'm only relaying my own personal experience.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:59 PM

Are you sure your engine just did not have an emissions problem that caused it?

Toyota had an engine that would sludge up as did a couple of other car makers.

I know Toyota has been sued over their engine, and it had nothing to do with the oil brand.

If Pennzoil was that bad don't you think it would be all over the news, heck there are millions of cars using Pennzoil with not a single problem.

If your oil was in-fact changed each time, then I would bet your engine had/has some kind of emissions failure that has gone undetected.

I don't recall Ford as having an engine with a sludge problem like Toyota so I would rule that out meaning I doubt its a design flaw by Ford.

I have used Mobile One in my cars for years without any problems yet their are still people that swear to this day that Mobile One will cause your engine to become filled with sludge and cause it to blow up. I have also used Pennzoil as well with zero problems.

Do these same three people say the same thing about Quaker State? You do know that Pennzoil and Quaker State are owned by the same company right? This just sounds a little to fishy to me.

I don't remember if it was Quaker State that bought out Pennzoil or if it was the other way around.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DodgeRam3500
Are you sure your engine just did not have an emissions problem that caused it?

Toyota had an engine that would sludge up as did a couple of other car makers.

I know Toyota has been sued over their engine, and it had nothing to do with the oil brand.

If Pennzoil was that bad don't you think it would be all over the news, heck there are millions of cars using Pennzoil with not a single problem.

If your oil was in-fact changed each time, then I would bet your engine had/has some kind of emissions failure that has gone undetected.

I don't recall Ford as having an engine with a sludge problem like Toyota so I would rule that out meaning I doubt its a design flaw by Ford.

I have used Mobile One in my cars for years without any problems yet their are still people that swear to this day that Mobile One will cause your engine to become filled with sludge and cause it to blow up. I have also used Pennzoil as well with zero problems.

Do these same three people say the same thing about Quaker State? You do know that Pennzoil and Quaker State are owned by the same company right? This just sounds a little to fishy to me.

I don't remember if it was Quaker State that bought out Pennzoil or if it was the other way around.
I don't know if the engine had any emissions problems. Ran fine and the MPG average was pretty consistent.

Yes, I would think it would be more common knowledge if there were a widespread problem with Pennzoil, but like I said, 3 different at shops in different parts of town said the same thing. So if there is a problem, it's known somewhat in the mech community but not widely.

"If your oil was in-fact changed...." I already said I changed the oil most of the time and watched the othes. Are you still saying my oil might have not been changed? What was I doing, cheating myself?? Not sure exactly what that one means, but it sounds like you're in doubt about my oil changes.

I have no qualms with Mobil One nor have I heard anything from anyone first hand about problems with that oil. In fact, at my next change, I will likely use Mobil One.

Funny you should ask if these people say the same thing about Quaker State, because all 3 of them did. They didn't say one owned the other, but did say something like "Pennsylvania grade oils use the same additive and will give the same problems." So I don't use Quaker State either. Again, my choice.

Call it what you want. Like I said, I'm just relaying my own experiences, first hand. Not a friend of a friend or something I heard.

Sounds fishy... there's that doubt again. Almost seems like you're calling me a liar. Guess that doesn't really matter either. People will evaluate what we both say on their own and you're going to believe what you want no matter what I say. You weren't there with me when I had this issue.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:08 AM

penzoil 15w 40 long life diesel is my poison. Worked well for Arny.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:01 AM

thanks tfarmer96, This clearcut type of info is more of what i was looking for , not the fingerpointing
name calling type. thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Banned

I won't let any penzoil or fram products within 20 ft of any of my vehicles...

valvoline in my gassers, rotella in my diesels

Forrest
Old 04-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

also...

McDonald's sells a lot of burgers... doesn't mean they're any good!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

Hey, I like Mac Donalds

Quick Reply: Oil . Pennzoil 15w 40 long life?