3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil leak around top of filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak around top of filter

I've noticed a few drops of oil under my truck in the last week. Its very Black so I figured it was engine oil. I looked under the truck today and found a small drip that looks like it comes from up near the top of the filter,and runs down the side of the filter and drips on the ground.

I didn't leave the old gasket in place when I changed oil last,and its been almost 4000 miles since the oil change. Its odd that it didn't start dripping until now.

I checked the filter and its tight so thats not the issue either.

Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:42 AM

Since you checked all those things, might not be a bad Idea to remove and install a new filter? In the unlikely event that the filter has a defect you could head it off at the Pass.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 AM

I have had that same problem every now and then. I think it was from one of 2 things.

1. I used too much oil to lube the rubber seal before installation and the excess leaked down. I don't think this was it necessarily because the oil on the filter was black, however it could have turned black from dust in the air getting in the oil. I couldn't tell for sure.

2. I overtightened the filter and deformed the seal allowing oil to seep through.

The last filter change I did I made sure to just put a thin film of oil on the filter seal and hand tightened the filter + another 1/4 turn.

My filter and filter mount are clean and dry now 5000 miles later.

You should also make sure the oil drops are coming from the filter. I get small oil spots occasionally, but they come from the oil breather tube. The filter never dropped any oil, it just had some slight seepage. Regardless, I think your issue is a minor one. As stated above, your best bet is to do a quick filter change. Fill the filter with oil and make sure to check the oil level.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roperteacher
Since you checked all those things, might not be a bad Idea to remove and install a new filter? In the unlikely event that the filter has a defect you could head it off at the Pass.
This may sound ridiculous, but i know there was a directive to Dodge to make sure the gasket comes off with the old oil filter (might have even specifically been the stratopore filter). Apparently there had been at least a few times when the old gasket stayed stuck on, and the new filter with another gasket was installed over top.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Vibration alone can loosen a filter, I had this happen to me on vacation last summer (while towing), had oil blown under most of the under carriage.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM

It could be a defect in the gasket... Or a little bit of debris on the gasket also... I see it all the time but I could tell you exactly why it happens... Easiest way to fix the problem is to change the filter out >> $5 for a filter and a couple of bucks to top off the oil... Easy enough!

Oilguy
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 PM

Its just about time for a fuel filter change as well as a diff fluid change. I'll stick a new oil filter on while I'm under there.

I wasn't too concerned.but I don't like little Black spots on my driveway.

The local garbage truck leaks enough oil in front of the house,that I don't need anymore.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 AM

My 06 will do this every now and again, has been like that since new. I notice it more when I use a NAPA filter VS the OEM Mopar filter. It will leak just a drop or two but that is it, never enough to affect the oil level in the engine.

-Seeder