3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Off-line power, Can I get a better jump??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never really felt like mine was slow off the line. I think alot of people not familiar with diesels are fooled by these big ole heavy trucks. They don't SEEM like they're going fast and they don't sound like it because of the low revs of the diesel. I had a buddy ride in mine and told him it was pretty quick for an 8000lb truck but he said it seemed slow. So I had him line up against me in his new Stratus RT. He never had a chance after the first 50 feet. Made a believer out of him.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:23 PM

You should check this thread out for the timing mod.. You can buy a modified sensor, or you can do it the free way. Lots of testimonials in this thread.. I did it and it woke my truck up bigtime..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=71543
Old 09-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

Ya know, I wasn't really trying to be rude to the guy, nor was I trying to be sarcastic in my statement. I am Realist. I look at life with common sense.

I know this site was built with "aftermarket" sponsors, it shows. I am pretty sure when this site first started it was mainly a "Dude, I got my truck up to 135MPH using the Storker Maniflex Engine Enhancing Powerplug!!!!" type of board. Over time I am sure it has evolved into what it is now being a board for people to not only talk about "Performance", but as well as stock issues.

I like the board, I stay away from all that "High Performance" bullspit though.

I never have, and never will, accept the fact that one can enhance these diesel engines to run in ways they were NEVER meant to be run on the streets. I mean, the engineers that design these things do not have 1/4 times/Off-Line JUMPS in their equasions when designing these things.

To me, driving a truck such as these in the matters that I have read about on here are just plain stupid, dangerous, and ignorant.

So what if one does not like the way the truck takes off from a dead start. It is moving right along the way it was designed to. Low torgue, plenty of pulling power, and safe. Live with it, let the truck decide how quick it needs to take off.

Ya know also, I have grown weary of the type of people driving diesel trucks nowadays. Lot's of them are kids in their late 20's early 30's that have expendable cash and are buying these things because someone at the golf course bought one so they had to One-Up them. Not bought because they were needed for a specific use that these trucks were designed for. I know, I live in a neighborhood full of these types of children.

I also have a problem with the way us Diesel owners are now looked at because of the high Immature ownership out there. I became flabbergasted when gas stations started making us "Diesel Owners" pre-pay when fueling up. The first time was a shock, then the second, and finally it is now Required to pre-pay for Diesel. (Yes, I use cards occassionally, but paying $cash$ is easier on the wallet) That was not something I was not accustomed to years ago when I had my first diesel. You could pull up, fill up, and move your truck around back before you paid. We were respected and trusted back then, know what I mean.

This is not a "Cummins" issue, it is not a "PS or DMax" issue either. (Although, I see bigger and younger idiots driving more Fords like a dumbass out there than I see Dodge drivers!) It is a personal issue.

These are my opinions, live with them or pass me by, OK. That's all I ask.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:54 PM

Brisco, I actually agree with a lot of what you say. That being said, I WILL say that I don't NEED a diesel truck at all, I don't need a TRUCK at all, I just like this type of vehicle. If we only bought the type of vehicles we NEEDED, then MOST of us would driving Hyndais. Personal freedoms and choices are part of what makes this country great.

That being said, I believe the intent of the original question was how to minimize turbo lag, not necessarily for drag racing, but for safety. As I said, on my commute, there are a couple of "hairy" spots, merge or die, so to speak, so I understand this guy's concerns.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:01 PM

I personally think getting took off quick, and avoiding getting run over while doing so is plenty valid. I dont know if you have noticed, but people also have to pre-pay at most gas stations now. Most places i still dont have to pre-pay for diesel. Its not because we drive diesels. Its because this world is a LOT different from how it was in the 70's, and 80's. There are more theifs, and liars now than there ever has been, so in order to try and make sure people pay, some gas stations make you pre-pay. What does that have to do with us driving diesels? And also, i dont know what is wrong with adding power to them. Just because you have the power, doesent mean you have to use it all the time, but sometimes its a lot more safe to use it, then not to use it. There is nothing safe about having to pull out in the middle of a curve you cant see around, and then having a big rig running 70mph come booking up on you while you are trying to get going. Dont you think a little extra go would help out then, or would you rather be rear ended? This guy is just asking a simple question about if he can get a little better low end response,a nd he already said he didnt want to put a box on it anyway. Just wondering about intake and exhaust. If you dont want to mod yours, that is perfectly fine, because most of them run good enough stock, but if someone else does then i dont see why there is a big deal about it. If it werent for people constantly improving on things we would all still be driving model T's!

Back to the question: Yes look at the rokktech site. Its not to expensive, and everyone who has done it has been pretty pleased with the results.

Eric
Old 09-25-2005, 04:10 PM

If it werent for people constantly improving on things we would all still be driving model T's!
Well said.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Well, First off let me say, Thanks to everyone who understood where my question is coming from. I am not asking to turn my truck into a hot-rod, You can tell when in my first post I said I want to keep my truck close to stock.

I was really took off gaurd by that "ONE" response.

At the age of 19 I purchased an 87 IROC and to this day still own it. It has a Pat Musi built small block in it and is a very fast car. Ive also owned other camaros and Nova's at a young age, and to this day, (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have not had one speeding ticket or violation on my record for 14 yrs of driving. So that can tell you that even though I have these types of vehicles, I still respect the rules of the road.

My original question about the turbo lag and a quicker off line jump was simply for more of a safetey issue, and not speed. I live In Staten Island, and sometimes with the amount of traffic here, it helps to have that quick jump in certain driving situations. Yea, these trucks do move, once the turbo spools, no complaints what so ever there!!

I would like to say thanks, to all you fellow Ram owners who understood where I was coming from, and answered my question with a polite and helpfull answer. This truck will be worked, maybe not as much as alot of other people, but will see its share of towing for the next racing season.

People need to stop judging on what "they" feel. I am 30, had an accident at 21, ruined my back for life. Everytime I pull into a handicapped spot, with all my tags and permits legit to park there, all people see is a young guy, getting out of a new truck, and thats how they Judge me. Not knowing about the 2 un-sucessfull operations I had, 6 yrs of therapy, and Drs visits still to this day. So many times I had people coment to me asking why Im parking there, All I do is ask them, Do you know me,and what Ive been through?? and they say no, and I say, than keep your comments to yourself!!

Thanks again fellow cummins owners
Old 09-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned

Learning to get off the line with a little pwr break is the only way to get movin fast enough for this wonderfull North east traffic, If I get caught not payin attention at a light I get reminded real quick of how laggy the truck gets without the p break. you should see if ya can mosy your way over to the Paramus Hooters this Tuesday night and a few of us will be happy to save you a spot ans show you how to get 7,000 lbs movin quick. http://www.starlighttattoo.com/eventsponsors/hooters/ if ya need directions I can link them for ya as well. Hope to see ya there, Mike
Old 09-25-2005, 08:52 PM

It not so much a turbo spooling problem. It more of a programming issue. The computer just doesn't give enough fuel at low rpms. These trucks just don't come alive until 2000rpm. At any speed above 2000rpm I can instantly get over 30psi of boost. Were as at lower rpm it seems to take forever get any boost of all. It's all due to emissions controls.

With my 6-speed I can get away quickly by slipping the clutch a bit. However it is a very fine balance between bogging the engine and uncontrollable wheel spin.

Carl
Old 09-25-2005, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brisco
Ya know, I wasn't really trying to be rude to the guy, nor was I trying to be sarcastic in my statement. I am Realist. I look at life with common sense.

I know this site was built with "aftermarket" sponsors, it shows. I am pretty sure when this site first started it was mainly a "Dude, I got my truck up to 135MPH using the Storker Maniflex Engine Enhancing Powerplug!!!!" type of board. Over time I am sure it has evolved into what it is now being a board for people to not only talk about "Performance", but as well as stock issues.

I like the board, I stay away from all that "High Performance" bullspit though.

I never have, and never will, accept the fact that one can enhance these diesel engines to run in ways they were NEVER meant to be run on the streets. I mean, the engineers that design these things do not have 1/4 times/Off-Line JUMPS in their equasions when designing these things.

To me, driving a truck such as these in the matters that I have read about on here are just plain stupid, dangerous, and ignorant.

So what if one does not like the way the truck takes off from a dead start. It is moving right along the way it was designed to. Low torgue, plenty of pulling power, and safe. Live with it, let the truck decide how quick it needs to take off.

Ya know also, I have grown weary of the type of people driving diesel trucks nowadays. Lot's of them are kids in their late 20's early 30's that have expendable cash and are buying these things because someone at the golf course bought one so they had to One-Up them. Not bought because they were needed for a specific use that these trucks were designed for. I know, I live in a neighborhood full of these types of children.

I also have a problem with the way us Diesel owners are now looked at because of the high Immature ownership out there. I became flabbergasted when gas stations started making us "Diesel Owners" pre-pay when fueling up. The first time was a shock, then the second, and finally it is now Required to pre-pay for Diesel. (Yes, I use cards occassionally, but paying $cash$ is easier on the wallet) That was not something I was not accustomed to years ago when I had my first diesel. You could pull up, fill up, and move your truck around back before you paid. We were respected and trusted back then, know what I mean.

This is not a "Cummins" issue, it is not a "PS or DMax" issue either. (Although, I see bigger and younger idiots driving more Fords like a dumbass out there than I see Dodge drivers!) It is a personal issue.

These are my opinions, live with them or pass me by, OK. That's all I ask.
I guess I fall into this group of 20-30 something "kids" that you seem to be uptight about. It seems you have a pretty big chip on your shoulder and you seem like your jealous that the younger guys can actually afford to buy what they want, maybe you couldn't at that age???...Owning a Dodge CTD is not some exclusive club for over-the-hill old men only... With all due respect, if you're so old and wise, start acting like it...Geeeeezz.

To anwser the original question (if I'm qualified being 29 ) I totally understand where the poster is coming from.. The torque converter in the 48re has too high of a stall IMO.. You need to rev it to nearly 1800 rpms just to get her rolling on level ground.. The first time I pulled my boat up the ramp, I thought something was wrong.. I had to rev it up to about 2500 rpms just to start moving.. Everyone standing around stopped and looked up to see the big torque Cummins nearly hitting redline to get a small boat out of the water.. I felt like an idiot!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:11 AM

I am envious of you auto guys acceleration. I have a 6 speed that is a total slug till 20 MPH. It does its job of pulling a trailer very well but I hate driving it to work in the morning. Pulling from the stop sign at the front of my development to 55MPH speed limit in morning traffic with a cold motor will sure make sumething pucker. My stock 95 is way quicker than the new one in traffic! Guess that is why I pull the trailer with one and drive to work with the other. I wish the 600 had more bottom end like a 12 valve but then again it is a 8000lb truck so I dont complain either. I would prefer that the 600 made less boost than it does so that cruise MPG would be higher. With an electronic control engine I would think that it would be possible to add less fuel at part throttle and bring the boost on hard at higher throttle settings thus keeping good towing power and higher empty milage. Best of both worlds.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 AM

badd dogg guy...............Don't feel bad dude. I also have the same complaint but with a little brake action I can launch a little quicker and with my 05 once I hit 20mph it will put you back in your seat. I have the same issues and I am 42, and have had my share of trucks. This is my first diesel and I use it as a diesel. The comments made to you are uncalled for especially when you come on here for advise from the so called wise and experienced. All in all this is a great site with a lot of great knowledgable people here. I am a member of the NJ DTW and found out about this site after I traded my 03 Hemi in for my 05 CTD and have has some great advise from these guys. These forums have a wealth of information available to us.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM

Well, First off let me say, Thanks to everyone who understood where my question is coming from. I am not asking to turn my truck into a hot-rod, You can tell when in my first post I said I want to keep my truck close to stock.
Glad we were able to help. Brisco probably wouldn't like me either - even though I'm almost 42, I'm one of "those people" who just like driving a diesel truck - even though I don't need it.

I could trade it for a 'Vette. Oh wait, I'm not a race car driver, so I guess I don't need that either.

Seriously, BaddDog, with a little practice, you'll be able to get off the line pretty quick. Good luck with it. I can see this thread getting shut down soon....
Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 PM

Angry Poll Time

Maybe we should take a poll, and see how many 20-30 year olds are on this site? My guess is that it wouldnt be free, or maybe not even available if we werent on here. Some of the comments are uncalled for and honestly pretty dang childish.
Amazing..... he's over 40 and STILL needs to grow up! Proves that we are ALL boys with toys. Only some of are ok with it, Others are in denial.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:55 AM

Boy this got way way off topic. Who gives a crap about age grandma!!!

To also answer the original question.... Improve the airflow in and out. it will speed up the spool-up and give you a better launch....
There are several ways to "loose" certain parts to get better airflow, but beware about how you speak of these lost parts, modifying EPA mandatory components may get you into trouble....
Advancing the timing will improve low-end, but it will also plug the kitty. It is a nearly free mod if you do the "tone ring" mod. MikeyB is the man on that thread... Do a search on these topics and you will find lots.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Off-line power, Can I get a better jump??